Try to nick my bike will ya??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oddjob62

Well.... to top off a terrible week at work, today i cam out to find my bike had acquired an extra U-lock. Obviously someone was planning on taking their time tonight or over the weekend removing my lock and making a quick couple of quid with my bike.

Took a walk around the local shops, but nobody open who would stock any kind of removal tools. Made a call to the nearby police station, they said they'd make a note of it so i wouldn't get arrested if i was caught trying to remove the new lock, but said they didn't have the facilities to assist me (not that i was really expecting them to).

So i decided to make the bike as worthless to the thieves as possible. 10 minutes later the rack, rear wheel, derailleurs, chain and seat were gone and locked in my office.

Went back down and was contemplating what to do when i noticed a couple of Community Support Officers across the road, so wandered over to ask if they had any advice.... after a few minutes of umming and arrring from the 3 of us, one of them said he'd pop to a nearby club and see if they had any tools... 3 mins later he's back with a hefty looking hacksaw. a further 15 minutes later, and some sweating and panting with the 3 of us taking it in turns at sawing, my bike was freed.

- I'm seriously impressed with the assistance the 2 lads gave me, it was seriously above and beyond. Gonna be writing a letter of thanks on Monday.
- I wish i could be there when the thief comes back to find the U of his U-lock hanging there. I'm keeping the rest of the lock as a momento.
- Must remember to purchase a hacksaw to keep in my drawer at work.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
lovin' your work oddjob :biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
it's just a shame those two officers didn't come along before you had taken your bike apart :biggrin: wonder what you'll be doing at the weekend :biggrin:

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

fossyant said:
Good reason for a full service then - putting it all back together..... will go like the wind on monday !

Funny you should say that... I've got a free service next week from the place i bought it :biggrin:

I was tempted to take it in pieces but that would be mean :biggrin:

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

buggi said:
it's just a shame those two officers didn't come along before you had taken your bike apart :sad: wonder what you'll be doing at the weekend :biggrin:

Ahh well it'll be good practice :smile::biggrin::smile:

Saddle bum

Über Member
Good guys 1 - Chavs 0

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I am still Fcuk-ing impressed......... calling the cops - stripping it down, getting PCSO's.... , cutting the d-lock.....some good thinking there...me.... I'd be effing and geffing all over the place.....no sane thinking !!!!!

Cool thinking fella !!!!

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

fossyant said:
I am still Fcuk-ing impressed......... calling the cops - stripping it down, getting PCSO's.... , cutting the d-lock.....some good thinking there...me.... I'd be effing and geffing all over the place.....no sane thinking !!!!!

Cool thinking fella !!!!

Trust me there was plenty of "effing ang geffing" in between. But I've always been pretty laid back in these kinds of situations. If you're in that situation, you can be stressed and try to deal with it, or you can just deal with it. The latter is much less... ur stressful :biggrin:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Excellent - you definitely did the right thing!

Take a photo of your bike and stick it to the remains of your lock with a note saying "this is the closest you'll get to my bike" :biggrin:

One dark evening, a former colleague who was a World Expert on Everything left for the evening, then came back to say someone had locked a real junker of a bike to his (it didn't even have a chian!). I suggested that he might want to cut through the lock as someone was out to nick his bike...

His World Expert opinion was that I was a scaremonger and it had been a genuine accident so he'd leave his bike until the other one went.

Next morning I came into the office to find him reporting the theft of his bike to the police :biggrin:

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

Baggy said:
Excellent - you definitely did the right thing!

Well luckily since i started back cycling last month I've been pretty much non stop reading any cycling forums i can find, so i knew this trick straight away.

I was lucky the two PCSOs came by, but worst case scenario, the thief would have come back to find a good 50% of my bike gone, and probably would have given up as it they wouldn't get the quick sale for a whole bike. Last thing i was planning on doing before leaving it for the night was to full their lock hole with superglue, meaning they'd have to cut 2 locks off :biggrin:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Oddjob62 said:
Last thing i was planning on doing before leaving it for the night was to full their lock hole with superglue, meaning they'd have to cut 2 locks off :biggrin:
They'd probably have trashed the frame through spite, but at least you'd have the satisfaction of costing them a lock!

Top Bottom