Trying to book my bike on a train.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamieRegan

A friend and I have planned a 300 mile cycle route - our first - meticulously. Every detail has been covered and it's going to be a great experience. It's a one way trip, though, and we just need to get the train back home with Scotrail - Inverness to Edinburgh - but there are no cycle spaces on the train, apparantly. Aaagh!!!

What can we do? Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution/ way round it?

The only alternative we've been given is to take a non-direct train and change at Perth. We can get the bikes on to Perth, but Perth to Edinburgh is unbookable as it's a first come, first served. Not sure whether that's risky or not?

fwiw - book that Inverness-Perth leg before it goes too?

In high summer a coupla years ago, we'd no problems with getting space on unbookable trains (but that was Glasgow-Edinburgh)

[edit] Or a second thought - go via Aberdeen instead of Perth?

snorri

Legendary Member
I would be tempted to try Scotrail again, perhaps you were misinformed first time.
This "non-direct" train sounds like the Inverness -Glasgow train, all trains are "direct" between Inverness and Perth, but passengers for Edinburgh are required to change at Perth.
I have just heard that Scotrail had upped the cycle capacity between Inverness and Edinburgh.The 10.45 from Inverness now takes 8 bikes on weekdays and TWELVE on Saturdays, seems unlikely all spaces would be booked unless there is some special event taking place.
Perhaps staying on the Inverness Glasgow train to Stirling would be better for you than getting off at Perth?
I wouldn't worry too much about Perth-Edinburgh being unbookable, there are lots of trains between these two places, you should be OK.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don`t know about the trains Jamie but I do know not to plan bike trips "Meticulously".

There are a million and one things to go wrong and a million and twenty one things that can go right. I planned a 2 week ride to France but met a group of people in Belgium and never left the country until it was time to return home.

If I am going to plan something like a one way trip. I plan when I am starting and how I am going to get home, and then book it. Once that is done all I need to do is get to to my return departure point.

But I think you have learnt that now.

I hope you get it sorted and have a good trip.

Steve

Alun

Guru
Jamie, when are you going? I tried to book Ft William to Glasgow well in advance a couple of years ago. I could book a seat no trouble but the bike spaces hadn't been "released " and so didn't show as available on their system. I rang back a week later and all was well.

theloafer

Legendary Member
A friend and I have planned a 300 mile cycle route - our first - meticulously. Every detail has been covered and it's going to be a great experience. It's a one way trip, though, and we just need to get the train back home with Scotrail - Inverness to Edinburgh - but there are no cycle spaces on the train, apparantly. Aaagh!!!

What can we do? Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution/ way round it?

The only alternative we've been given is to take a non-direct train and change at Perth. We can get the bikes on to Perth, but Perth to Edinburgh is unbookable as it's a first come, first served. Not sure whether that's risky or not?

when we want to get back from Inverness we use these http://www.europcar.co.uk/ one way hire simples..:thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

JamieRegan

Jamie, when are you going? I tried to book Ft William to Glasgow well in advance a couple of years ago. I could book a seat no trouble but the bike spaces hadn't been "released " and so didn't show as available on their system. I rang back a week later and all was well.
That's worth knowing. The day I'm heading back is April. . . . . . FRIDAY 13th!!!!

Speedywheelsjeans

Ive been told I need to buy a ticket for my bike before now... ridiculous... so my bike isnt luggage its a passenger? I was also told off for locking it in the cycle compartment, as if im going to leave a £1500 bike unlocked on a train in south wales, while im sat in a totally different carriage unable to see it! I prefer to cycle the 50 miles to my parents house now instead. So if you do take your bike on the train... expect conductors and ticket inspectors to make a fuss!

See if you can find a courier company at journeys end who will deliver your bikes back home for a reasonable fee?

On Thursday I was booked on the 15:28 from Oxenholme to Carlisle but low cloud, drizzle and the back end of a bout of the lurgy, made me get to the station just after 12: 20. I chanced my luck and asked at the desk if I could change my tickets to an earlyer train. The lass behind the counter could not have been more helpful, she played with my tickets and her computer and booked me on the next train, thus saving a damp cold wait of over two hours. First class service.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Never been moaned at for locking mine before.

I bailed out of a tour last autumn in Perth and bought a walk up fare home (it cost how much :eek:). There were lots of trains available and they had the bike racks where you hang your bike from the top tube. Not my favourite type of carrier, but they do fit a lot of bikes if you need them to.

Top Bottom