England : Essex Trying to join Essex roads cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Micky_b_85

Hi I'm new on here, just trying to find out if anyone on here is a member of Essex roads ? Emailed the address on their site a few weeks ago but had no reply. Hopefully somebody on here can help me get in contact with them to go for a ride with them.
Many thanks, Michael

Nosaj

I would just turn up at one of their Sunday rides and introduce yourself there. Just make sure that you get in the right group as if you get in the quickest group and their training ride it is very very quick and they will not stop if you get dropped.

I'm not a member but have been on a couple of their rides.

Diggs

Veteran
+1 Just turn up. As the local club I went on a ride with them a while back. Seemed a very nice bunch, unfortunately the Diglets sporting calendar on Sunday mornings usually prevents me from attending so my rides tend to be a bit more adhoc. Whereabouts are you Micky?

OP
OP
M

Micky_b_85

ah thats good to hear, im in upminster but quite happy to chuck my bike in the car and drive to Billericay, it's a beautiful area so i'd rather join the club there

OP
OP
M

Micky_b_85

excellent, thank you. is the meeting place still at the car park near iceland ? as i thought it might of changed, going off what they have put up on their website about the sunday rides ?

Diggs

Veteran
Interesting, I see what you mean. Does look odd although the rides are still scheduled. May be worth trying the other emails on the PDF calendar? The boys have rugby on Sunday but if I get a chance I may try and run by the car park. May just be something like the council getting arsey about use of car park but odd if emails are not being replied to.

OP
OP
M

Micky_b_85

Well that's very kind of you. Cycling folk always seem very helpful. I knew I chose the right sport.
Ok thanks I'll let you know how I get on.

Diggs

Veteran
Popped up to car park this morning, seemed to be business as usual. Spoke to one guy and he said that it was back to the car park from this week.I'd carry on with the email approach though,let them know what level you are. You could always preplan a route just in case (the Orchid charity ride routes are on line amongst others) or perhaps it may be worth proposing a ride from here. If all goes well may even see you on an Essex Roads ride once rugby season is over

OP
OP
M

Micky_b_85

Thanks a lot for that. Think I might just turn up one Sunday as I've emailed 3 different e mail addresses and heard nothing back. Unless they just don't want anymore members, hope not.
Ok great, hope to see you sometime soon then.

Leescfc79

Über Member
Hi,

Let me know how you get on if you go along, been thinking of joining a Sunday ride at some point but I'm a bit worried about slowing people down!

Lee_M

Guru
I think they are just like most of the other cubs I've contacted... great club and friendly when you turn up, bloody useless at technology. I think its because they are mostly run by old blokes who still think digital watches are a neat idea.

I'm currently spending more time in London than Essex (I have a place in Leigh on Sea) so tried to contact Lea Valley, very friendly when I finally met them, but their website doesnt even mention where they have their club nights - it just says "turn up" ^_^

Nosaj

Hi,

Let me know how you get on if you go along, been thinking of joining a Sunday ride at some point but I'm a bit worried about slowing people down!

Lee,

Most clubs have rides at differing levels of ability from a sedate novice ride circa 14mph all the way up to a 24 mph training ride. Essex Roads have about 3 or 4 different ride categories and used to split you up on the Sunday morning.

You also have the Southend Wheelers again different ride categories, they have a 9am faster longer ride and a 10am shorter ride both rides informally split into ability groups by a process of natural selection almost.

Failing that you have the CTC member groups and they certainly do not like to ride fast so are probably ideal for novices but you can quickly outgrow the pace once you start to improve.

You will probably find that any ride you go on there will be someone of a similar ability to you

Leescfc79

Über Member
Lee,

Most clubs have rides at differing levels of ability from a sedate novice ride circa 14mph all the way up to a 24 mph training ride. Essex Roads have about 3 or 4 different ride categories and used to split you up on the Sunday morning.

You also have the Southend Wheelers again different ride categories, they have a 9am faster longer ride and a 10am shorter ride both rides informally split into ability groups by a process of natural selection almost.

Failing that you have the CTC member groups and they certainly do not like to ride fast so are probably ideal for novices but you can quickly outgrow the pace once you start to improve.

You will probably find that any ride you go on there will be someone of a similar ability to you

I might have to give them a go, I average about 14 mph on my own so would hope in a group I could keep up with the slowest group- they would just have to wait for me at the top of any hills!

I bumped into the Wickford CTC group a couple of weeks ago and they seemed like a welcoming bunch but think you could be right about outgrowing the pace after a little while.

Thanks for the advice and for putting my mind at ease!

Top Bottom