England : Essex Trying to join Essex roads cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
Good luck Mickey, let us know how it goes - if you don't like them you can always come over to Canewdon.

I fancied trying the Canewdon lot, but when I first started it seemed a heck of a long way to go before the start of the ride ^_^

now I could do it, but I'm temporarily living in London - so have joined Lea Valley CC

compo

Veteran
now I could do it, but I'm temporarily living in London - so have joined Lea Valley CC

See a fair few of those guys from Lea Valley on my outings. They seem a friendly bunch and nearly always pass a cheery greeting as they scalp me!

Lee_M

Guru
See a fair few of those guys from Lea Valley on my outings. They seem a friendly bunch and nearly always pass a cheery greeting as they scalp me!

that won't be me then! (the scalping I mean not the cheery greeting!)

TBH I only joined because I want a green jersey :angel:

Nosaj

I fancied trying the Canewdon lot, but when I first started it seemed a heck of a long way to go before the start of the ride ^_^

I had a similar problem Wheelers = just under 15 mile round trip + Club run, Essex Roads circa 25 mile round trip + the club run.

Are Lea Valley based at Hog hill?. I took the little un a few times and she ended up joining the youth section but we as parents found it extremely cliquey, we never knew what was going on, who to speak to, what group to put her in and she came away crying a few times because she was just forgot about. We have never had a communciation (eg race/training programme/events etc) from them despite parting with the money. I appreciate its all voluntary and obviously the set up at Hog Hill is spot on for kiddies but she will just be coming with me to the Wheelers now as they welcomed her in the junior races and got her a prize for winning the race (even though she was the only participant in the Under 8s).

Lee_M

Guru
nope they spend time there but not based there.

must be someone else as they arent oeganised enough to have a youth section!

Nosaj

Ahhhh.....Green jerseys, same name you can perhaps forgive me for jumping to the conclusion that one could be affiliated to the other.

Lee_M

Guru
Ahhhh.....Green jerseys, same name you can perhaps forgive me for jumping to the conclusion that one could be affiliated to the other.

different name, different spelling

but yep I see your point ^_^

Nosaj

different name, different spelling

but yep I see your point ^_^

Etymology - Same name slightly different spellings depending how up or downstream of the River Lee/Lea you are, but you can talk about both the Lee valley or the Lea valley and it will means exactly the same thing. I was born fairly local to the area so when someone refers to Lea or Lee you tend to overlook the spelling as you know they mean the same thing

Interestingly had I been born six years earlier than I was I would have been as an essex boy but I wasn't and was born a London boy but there is still debate about whether its london or essex even now, actually thats not that interesting at all and I am starting to ramble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Lea

Are you guys gonna organise a ride around Hanningfield? I'm the other side of Colchester but it sounds like your talking about similar speeds and I'd be happy to shove the bike on my car and drive over to join in. With a bit of notice I can do most weekends, got a couple of mates of similar standard as well who may be interested? Andy

Diggs

Veteran
Are you guys gonna organise a ride around Hanningfield? I'm the other side of Colchester but it sounds like your talking about similar speeds and I'd be happy to shove the bike on my car and drive over to join in. With a bit of notice I can do most weekends, got a couple of mates of similar standard as well who may be interested? Andy
Certainly up for it should be able to do most weekends (and there's a bank holiday approaching), ideally avoiding Sunday a.m. til Diglets rugby finishes.

Andy, still subject to negotiations (with Mrs D) if I can take one of my bikes but am heading up to your neck of the woods for a weekend in a couple of months. Be interested if you know any decent local routes to get me away from Mother-In-Law for an hour or two

Certainly up for it should be able to do most weekends (and there's a bank holiday approaching), ideally avoiding Sunday a.m. til Diglets rugby finishes.

Andy, still subject to negotiations (with Mrs D) if I can take one of my bikes but am heading up to your neck of the woods for a weekend in a couple of months. Be interested if you know any decent local routes to get me away from Mother-In-Law for an hour or two

There are some nice routes inland from the coast a bit. I'm developing a circular route that is expanding towards 50 miles or so with the option of any distance up to that. Depending on when your talking about I'll probably come out with you if your wanted, may even be able to get some others out? Where abouts is you mother in law??

Diggs

Veteran
There are some nice routes inland from the coast a bit. I'm developing a circular route that is expanding towards 50 miles or so with the option of any distance up to that. Depending on when your talking about I'll probably come out with you if your wanted, may even be able to get some others out? Where abouts is you mother in law??
The In-Laws are heading up with us, we are indulging in our yearly "Haven" break.

Top Bottom