England : Essex Trying to join Essex roads cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Diggs, I live in St Osyth Village itself so give me a bit of notice and I'll try and sort out a ride with a few mates from down here.
Tour de tendring is apparently a nice ride, not too tough, but I've never done it as I tend to be away and sadly I'm away again on my other 2 wheeled love, a Triumph Sprint motorcycle, touring Flanders fields with some mates so I won't be doing it this year either.

PRob

Über Member
Hi, another newcomer to cycling here. Micky_b_85 How did you find the Essex Roads cycling club? I'm in Brentwood and have been doing 30-50 miles loops from Brentwood out and around Billericay/ Wickford area etc - Been going at round about 15mph, but getting a bit unmotivated in the current weather at going out on my own and was looking for a club to get involved with. Would you recommend them?

Hi, another newcomer to cycling here. Micky_b_85 How did you find the Essex Roads cycling club? I'm in Brentwood and have been doing 30-50 miles loops from Brentwood out and around Billericay/ Wickford area etc - Been going at round about 15mph, but getting a bit unmotivated in the current weather at going out on my own and was looking for a club to get involved with. Would you recommend them?

PRpb, in a word...yes. They are a great Club with around 300 members of all standards. Loads of events are organised from TTs to charity rides. No cliques here.

Spally

hi all, glad i found this thread been trying to find a local club to me, Benfleet.

Am also up for an informal ride, if im welcome, could also probably bring along at 2 others.

cheers
Paul

Spally

thanks, do you know if they have a web page or the like?

Nosaj

http://www.southendwheelers.org/

I'm a member but tried Essex Roads as well. Opted for the Wheelers as they were nearer to me.

They are a smaller club than essex roads and they are based at the village hall in Canewdon so the cafe stop is always the same i.e. the village hall.

They have 2 rides a shorter 10am ride based around the lanes near Canewdon and a 9am run which loop via battlesbridge into the Hanningfields / Danbury / Maldon / Stock etc. The 9am Club run can split informally into two groups one about 16-18 avg and the other quick at about 22-24. Distances are circa 40-60 miles. The 10 am runs are shorter distance but average around 15-19mph depending who turns up and how many groups you get. Where Essex roads have more members they have a more structured ride split but the Wheelers tend to split the rides informally by almost natural selection it sounds very disorganised but actually works well out on the road and you don't get dropped or left behind.

They are not at Canewdon this Sunday they will be at South Hanningfield Hall as there is a hilly TT followed by a club run

Spally

cheers guys hope to get along soon although those averages are a bit scarey, what with me being a newbie, sturggle to do 15mph average over 20mph at the mo lol

Nosaj

cheers guys hope to get along soon although those averages are a bit scarey, what with me being a newbie, sturggle to do 15mph average over 20mph at the mo lol

It is a lot lot easier to get a higher average speed when in a group than on your own and for your first few rides you will not be expected to take a turn on the front, you can if you want but no one will think any the less of you if you didn't

If you can do 15mph average for 20 miles you should be OK to hang on on the 10am ride even if it was a 16-17mph average after about two or three rides you will be fine, there are very mixed abilities in the Wheelers and the distances don't normally exceed 25 miles

Top Bottom