Trying to make cyclists more seen

Is this for you?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

Perhaps someone will be along shortly with actual citations and stuff, but iir the research here says that the severity of punishment is not really a serious deterrent but the likelihood of the law actually being enforced is. So, even if the penalty for carelesss/dangerous driving is a mere three weeks inside, the incidence of drivers hitting cyclists they "just didn't see" would go way down if only they knew it was a certainty they'd actually receive the said punishment instead of walking away after clueless plod/cps says "his word against yours, no point pursuing this" or "it was only a pushbike"
I am afraid people loose concentration or to be more precise humans are not up to the job of driving cars safely. Bring on the automated car!
By the way one persons word against another Is never pursued unless there is other evidence.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I am afraid people loose concentration or to be more precise humans are not up to the job of driving cars safely. Bring on the automated car!
By the way one persons word against another Is never pursued unless there is other evidence.
Quite often there could be other evidence if the police could be bothered to call for witnesses, or chase statements from witnesses who've already given their details, or ask for cctv footage from cameras overlooking the incident, or forensically examine the vehicles involved, or even forbear to dismiss the evidence of perfectly good witnesses on the grounds that "they're not independent" because they're using the same mode of transport as one of the people involved in the incident. But any of these actions would all be more work that doesn't contribute to this month's performance targets so is unlikely ever to get done.

brand

Quite often there could be other evidence if the police could be bothered to call for witnesses, or chase statements from witnesses who've already given their details, or ask for cctv footage from cameras overlooking the incident, or forensically examine the vehicles involved, or even forbear to dismiss the evidence of perfectly good witnesses on the grounds that "they're not independent" because they're using the same mode of transport as one of the people involved in the incident. But any of these actions would all be more work that doesn't contribute to this month's performance targets so is unlikely ever to get done.
Wakey wakey I am saying that humans are not up to the job of driving. We will someday, and it is not that far away have cars which will not allow accidents. Have you grasped that?
The police cannot be bothered to do lots of things, it is not specifically cyclist. THE POLICE ARE BONE IDOL. There are 3 police cars outside one cafe everyday. This is Lincolnshire how far have they travelled to meet up for their 2 hours dinner break?

Last edited:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Wakey wakey I am saying that humans are not up to the job of driving. We will someday, and it is not that far away have cars which not allow accidents. Have you grasped that?
The police cannot be bothered to do lots of things, it is not specifically cyclist. THE POLICE ARE BONE IDOL. There are 3 police cars outside one cafe everyday. This is Lincolnshire how far have they travelled to meet up for their 2 hours dinner break?
Yeah, and so are English teechers....

winjim

Smash the cistern

Dan B

Disengaged member
Wakey wakey I am saying that humans are not up to the job of driving. We will someday, and it is not that far away have cars which not allow accidents. Have you grasped that?
I am reasonably sure that humans could by and large be up to the task of driving if they were actually aware of their limitations (blind spots, target fixation, invisible gorillas etc) and approached the task with the care and attention it deserves rather than as a trdious chore their limbic system can deal with while their forebrains are engaged with posting to facebook . But this will not be the case as long as the penalty for farking it up is a slap on the wrist and probably not even that.

Unless there's legislative change or serious economic pressure (tax changes, insurance, petrol costs) brought to bear on drivers I give it ten years plus until the majority of new cars are self-driving (and I mean the basic models in each range not just the high-end models) and another ten years until the majority of cars on the road are self-driving, and I don't know how long until a manually driven car is an unusual sight. And even then I expect the last few holdouts to include the ABD/SafeSpeed numpties who think their superior driving skills mean it's OK for them to be tailgating while "making progress" around a blind bend with a tractor coming the other way.

brand

"can deal with while their forebrains are engaged with posting to facebook"
So aren't up to then. Everyone is thinking about other things rather than driving. There mind is always somewhere else...always. Reactions to emergency are just reactions no thinking involved. If there were they wouldn't react in time. Humans, including women cannot multitask. My head is always somewhere else when cycling. Enjoying the view, thinking about buying a working dog, wondering if the pub has XXXB on. Looking in the hedge for forageble food....where did that tree come from. Need I go on?

noodle

Wakey wakey I am saying that humans are not up to the job of driving. We will someday, and it is not that far away have cars which will not allow accidents. Have you grasped that?
i have a history with lincs police
6 years ago just outside sleaford on the a15 (iirc) me and the wife were sleeping in the car, long story she was 5 months pregnant id just been made redundant decided to drive round britain as you do. any way a lay by just after a sharp bend about 11 pm we hear an almighty crash three cars full of kids coming one way overtaking a slower car two get past on the blind bend third gets hit head on by an oncoming rover 75 it was a micra. the driver a young girl pregnant is in a bad way foud out she was taken to nottingham hospital. anyway the two cars that went past come back all the lads are out shouting screaming etc, ive got the girl wrapped in blankets from our car just to try and kep her warm as she is stuck in the car. eventually the ploice fire service and ambulance turn up so im releived from sitting there and almost free to head back to the wife. only i head over to a group of police and point out the lads in the other cars are all well and truly pissed
copper looks at me and asks
what do you want me to do
this is no joke or anything other than the fact it sticks with me i found it that scary

Top Bottom