Trying to make cyclists more seen

Is this for you?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi @LucyBoots that would be a +1 from me on @User9609 's quote on the horse riders need for such an item I think it would be well suited to there needs,and for what it is worth I would use one if i commuted in heavy traffic ! also it may be me that just missed it but have you got a cost for this ?

400bhp

Guru
It looks a good idea, but there's an issue.

I don't like carrying solid objects on my back. If you have a fall that could do some serious damage to you.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
As interesting as the "lighting vs. driver education" debate is, this isn't really the place for it.

Can we please stick to giving feedback to @LucyBoots on the product she's linked to and if you want to continue the debate, start a new thread and link back to it from here. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Shaun
@Shaun, she made a post on Friday, had a look-see on Sunday and has been gone since then. It's (potential) product placement.

stuee147

i cant really see how this is a new product just a quick search on you ebay brings up loads of different types of shirts straps and wearable light up clothing type things

nahtanoJ

Hi Lucy, I think anything that highlights the whole rider has to be a good idea. There's nothing to say improving bike safety has to be an "us or them" approach, educating and prosecuting drivers can happen as well as improving our presence on the road. Just ride around at dusk to see the number of cyclists with no lights or reflectors at all! I'm not sure how many of the posters here tow a bike trailer but for those that do this seems like it would solve the problem of a wearable light "pointing at the heavens"; http://www.prefundia.com/projects/view/street-halo/2167. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to exist yet! Anyone else got any examples of bike trailer lights that do exist? I've posted in the Family Cycling section. Thanks!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi Lucy, I think anything that highlights the whole rider has to be a good idea. There's nothing to say improving bike safety has to be an "us or them" approach, educating and prosecuting drivers can happen as well as improving our presence on the road. Just ride around at dusk to see the number of cyclists with no lights or reflectors at all! I'm not sure how many of the posters here tow a bike trailer but for those that do this seems like it would solve the problem of a wearable light "pointing at the heavens"; http://www.prefundia.com/projects/view/street-halo/2167. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to exist yet! Anyone else got any examples of bike trailer lights that do exist? I've posted in the Family Cycling section. Thanks!

You're wasting your keystrokes, Lucy hasn't been around these parts since 13 April. She appears to have been more interested in driving hits to her kickstarter page than hearing any feedback from cyclists.

GC

nahtanoJ

You're wasting your keystrokes, Lucy hasn't been around these parts since 13 April. She appears to have been more interested in driving hits to her kickstarter page than hearing any feedback from cyclists.

GC

Hmmmm. Well, I've always been a bit of a late-comer I guess! Ah well, just clicked on their link and seen they got their funding so fair play to them.

LauraTC79

Great idea, but possibly too high. Also, what about people who don't use rucksacks? How would that work?

thecube

Well done with your product placement Lucy, if you were interested in feedback you could have replied or at least aknowledged some of the more useful comments people took their time to post. Still not sure what difference that is to my already existing reflective strap and LED lights. I do agree that the long term solution for cylists is probably not to go down the Christmas tree route. I've been told the best thing is to just cycle like you've had a skinful and all road users give you a wide berth.

brand

The aim is not to be seen but to be noticed. How can a car driver not have seen you? This is different, so it will get you noticed as did brightly coloured clothing but eventually you don't stand out anymore your just another.. bang where the hell did that cyclist come from!
So unless lots of people buy it ie it becomes the norm then it should work in the city. I live rural and I am afraid the problem is car drivers going to fast on narrow roads. I am afraid I am sticking with brighter rear lights and a rear facing lance.

brand

the long term solution for cylists is probably not to go down the Christmas tree route. I've been told the best thing is to just cycle like you've had a skinful and all road users give you a wide berth.
A/ I think looking like a Christmas tree would most certainly get you noticed.
B/ may work can't say for certain other than I haven't been run over on the way back from the pub. Then I have cycled 12 miles at night and not seen a car, so can't really be certain.

brand

I am afraid people might not like this but I am inclined to think it will make little difference how hard you punish offenders. I suspect it is likely that all drivers lose concentration and there is nothing you can do about it. Obviously the idiots who drive badly will get A message after they have hit you and get punished for it but I suspect that a lot of accident are caused by a lack of concentration. The answer probably will come with new technology where the car basically drives itself. If a car can park itself then technology will eventually not allow a driver to get to close from behind or from the side. Hurry up!​

Dan B

Disengaged member
I am afraid people might not like this but I am inclined to think it will make little difference how hard you punish offenders.​
Perhaps someone will be along shortly with actual citations and stuff, but iir the research here says that the severity of punishment is not really a serious deterrent but the likelihood of the law actually being enforced is. So, even if the penalty for carelesss/dangerous driving is a mere three weeks inside, the incidence of drivers hitting cyclists they "just didn't see" would go way down if only they knew it was a certainty they'd actually receive the said punishment instead of walking away after clueless plod/cps says "his word against yours, no point pursuing this" or "it was only a pushbike"

Top Bottom