tub cement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattsccm

Being a tight arse I wonder if anyone knows a more readily available glue that serves the same purpose as tub cement. Tubes are totally uneconomical and tins go hard or costs bomb. I am working on the principle that tub cement is a commercial adhesive packaged for the tyre people. Agreed they may by it by the thousand gallon. the old Clement stuff was good.
Any suggestions?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
tub tape?

OP
OP
M

mattsccm

Nope. Glue. Tape doesn't stay on in wet conditions and isn't as easy to replace a tub with.Just want cheaper glue. Ta though

OP
OP
M

mattsccm

Sorry. In my personal experience.
Mud, damp, continually soggy. Decent glue stays for ever. Tape gradually come adrift over time. Months not days.

Mac66

In my experience with tape it tends to be a one chance only affair. Once the tyre is stuck thats it. So if you haven't quite got things "true", it's a pain in the arse. Glue gives you a bit freedom to reposition the tyre. But horses for courses as they say.

No idea if tub glue is a marketing gimmick though. Personally, given that tyres are the most important part of a bike in terms of safety, I wouldn't fancy chancing my arm on some wonder UHU.

zacklaws

Guru
Cycling weekly, this week, has a mention of tub glue, about £2.75 a tube. Almost same price as the paper itself, and being a tight arse, you can read it free in WH Smiths to get the details as I cannot be arsed to walk downstairs and post the info here.

GilesM

Legendary Member
When I was racing, I used to use Evo-Stick for my tubs, it worked really well and was always a bit tacky if you had to replace a tub when out, I used it on my track bike aswell, the tubs never came off at Calshot, not sure about now, but then a very steep track. Never had a tub roll off in all the time I raced. It was a long time ago, (last race was 1987) so I don't know if Evo-stick has changed over the years, just the standard stuff in the red tubes was the stuff I used. The only problem was at the time it was always the favourite choice of the glue sniffers, hence it was always kept in the locked cabinet in shops, as a 16 year old, I had to try to explain to your average shop assistant that I want it to stick the tyres on my bike.

Top Bottom