Tube seams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Had a couple of punctures of recent, and have had to chuck out the tubes on both occasions as i could not get a repair to seal over the seam of the tube where the puncutre occured.

With this came the observation that spesh seem to put the seam's of the tube around the face of the tube where the puncutres are most likley to occur.

So, would I look like a moron asking my LBS for tube's that have a seam on the side as apposed the face?

Hoping that you can all save my embarrasment at finding that my LBS consider this the equivilent of asking for a "long weight" or a set of "sky hooks"

Jonny

You could buy the tubes off eBay in bulk and then simply bin any punctured tube - saves all the faffing around and will probably work out at the same cost in the long run especially if you are paying LBS prices.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Normally I take some sandpaper to the tube and rub down the seam but TBH I don't even think this is necessary as long as you use a good dollop of gue and press the patch on well. In all the 45 years or so I've been mending punctures I don't think this has ever been an issue. Once you pump up the tyre that tube will be pressing pretty tightly against the patch.

Mr Pig

I agree. I've never had a problem fixing a puncture on a seam. Just need to kneed in on well and it works fine. Back to school for Johnny ;0)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
I agree. I've never had a problem fixing a puncture on a seam. Just need to kneed in on well and it works fine. Back to school for Johnny ;0)

Back to school indeed.

Perhaps its due to me trying these little "super patches" which dont appear to be that super after all.

still question answered, best I dont go into my LBS and ask for non seamed tubes and ask for a decent repair kit instead

Ahem

Mr Pig

Even cheapo repair kits work fine, it's kinda hard to go wrong with a blob of rubber solution and a patch!

Sand the area well, especially if it's on the seam. Cover it in rubber solution, wait until it's gone tacky then work the patch on firmly. Give it ten minutes to set or it might leak. The little instant patch things do work but they're not as good. And if you need to fix a puncture twice then it's not faster! ;0)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
And if you need to fix a puncture twice then it's not faster! ;0)

Good point..spent 30 mins thinking it was sorted and trying to find the mystery second hole...that never existed.

not gonna use the little glueless patches anymore, have stripped off the last one from the tube (which was worrying as I was able to), glued and featheredge patched to perfection...

lesson 101 on fixing tubes...check

Mr Pig

Of course the best way to fix punctures is by not getting them in the first place! I've used puncture-resistant tyres for years, fantastic things.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
as resistant as puncture resistant tyres are, you still get punctures.

Top Bottom