Tube vs tubeless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i'm 3-4 weeks into tubeless setup on two bikes its been okay but topping up my first one this week i'm not getting the same good seal i suspect it a leak at the valve core, ride wise it is better 70/65 rear/front at the weekend nice and fast plus very grippy but i think 85/80 would have been better.

I will be replacing my removable cores for fixed as Shimano recommend, now i know why.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Quite a useful video. I am 6 months into trying 28mm Schwalbe pro one TL tyres. Had one puncture which dropped pressure but resealed. More irritating are the necklace of beads of sealant around the tyre showing it is slowly leaking through the sidewalls. I’d say about 10 psi in a week so I inflate before each ride. The loss is similar to what I experienced with tubes but they were run at a higher pressure. I run the TL at 70 psi back and 60 psi front using stans sealant. Ride quality is excellent. For me the Jury is out as to whether I put a tube in or not.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm currently running two tubed and two tubeless bikes. I didn't bother watching the video.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Have emailed Schwalbe to see if this is normal.... the pressure is ok but it is clearly leaking.

lane

Veteran
My experiences with tubeless. I used GP5000. 32s running at 60 to 65psi.

They were relatively easy to set up and topping up was no hassle either. Pumping up was a bit of hassle because the sealant gummed up the valve.

I run the tyres for a year or so and the only issue during that time was a gummed valve. I am aware of 1 puncture that sealed itself. I had no other puncture in approximately 5,000km (that I knew about anyway)

Eventually they started to loose pressure and because I was short of time I put tubes in. I got a puncture and put a new tube in no hassle. However because i now had more time I decided to re do the tubeless. I re taped the rims which i think was the issue. I pumped up the tyre and it was losing pressure from where the puncture had been. I decided to repair this with a plug - which I had never needed to do. It went very well and was quicker an easier than a tube change. The tyre was holding pressure - all this had taken quite a lot of time and I was very pleased. Thought yes stick with tubeless even if it gets a puncture that won't seal it's easy to repair.

I cycled down the road - first corner the plug comes out and so does all the sealant and the tyre is flat straight away.

I decided put a tube in and stick with tubes. As far as I know I had two punctures - one sealed the other ultimately needed a tube. It's not much hassle to put a new tube in roadside and ultimately there isn't enough to gain going tubeless. I don't get loads of punctures even with GP5000s.

If the plug repair was reliable on a road tubeless they would probably be worth the hassle. But 50% of times I got a puncture I had to put a tube in. I might have had some other punctures I didn't know about when running tubeless but can't be sure.

Ultimately a tube is a reliable repair virtually always. The tubeless puncture kits are hit and miss and you might need a tube anyway if they don't work - which they haven't 100% of the times I used them.

My experiences with tubeless. I used GP5000. 32s running at 60 to 65psi.

They were relatively easy to set up and topping up was no hassle either. Pumping up was a bit of hassle because the sealant gummed up the valve.

I run the tyres for a year or so and the only issue during that time was a gummed valve. I am aware of 1 puncture that sealed itself. I had no other puncture in approximately 5,000km (that I knew about anyway)

Eventually they started to loose pressure and because I was short of time I put tubes in. I got a puncture and put a new tube in no hassle. However because i now had more time I decided to re do the tubeless. I re taped the rims which i think was the issue. I pumped up the tyre and it was losing pressure from where the puncture had been. I decided to repair this with a plug - which I had never needed to do. It went very well and was quicker an easier than a tube change. The tyre was holding pressure - all this had taken quite a lot of time and I was very pleased. Thought yes stick with tubeless even if it gets a puncture that won't seal it's easy to repair.

I cycled down the road - first corner the plug comes out and so does all the sealant and the tyre is flat straight away.

I decided put a tube in and stick with tubes. As far as I know I had two punctures - one sealed the other ultimately needed a tube. It's not much hassle to put a new tube in roadside and ultimately there isn't enough to gain going tubeless. I don't get loads of punctures even with GP5000s.

If the plug repair was reliable on a road tubeless they would probably be worth the hassle. But 50% of times I got a puncture I had to put a tube in. I might have had some other punctures I didn't know about when running tubeless but can't be sure.

Ultimately a tube is a reliable repair virtually always. The tubeless puncture kits are hit and miss and you might need a tube anyway if they don't work - which they haven't 100% of the times I used them.
I have read reviews of GP5000 saying tubed rolls better .. so thats what I did.

Milzy

Guru
I have read reviews of GP5000 saying tubed rolls better .. so thats what I did.
Not true though is it. Lower pressure with tubeless so you’re in more contact of our rubbish rough roads which will roll faster instead of skipping along. Plus the comfort you get can reduce fatigue on long rides.
Like Jesus once said to me when he came around for a coffee Easter 2003, “people will always see what they want to see.”

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Gosh he was exciting to listen to.

I've been running tubeless on two bikes since March 2019. No issues apart from a couple of gummed valves. Easily resolved by parking the valves at 4.00 position.

Used a plug once about three months ago. It's still in the tyre. Plugging tubeless takes five minutes which is far quicker than I can change a tubed tyre.

When I bought a new set of tyres the old ones had seven sealed punctures in the pair.

lane

Veteran
Not true though is it. Lower pressure with tubeless so you’re in more contact of our rubbish rough roads which will roll faster instead of skipping along. Plus the comfort you get can reduce fatigue on long rides.
Like Jesus once said to me when he came around for a coffee Easter 2003, “people will always see what they want to see.”

Having used both I would be inclined to agree with comfort. However i think it is far from proven that running at lower pressure is quicker and is quite possibly slower. What we do know is in rolling resistance tests higher pressures have lower rolling resistance; however how that translates into the real world is a matter for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom