Tube vs tubeless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have read that if you lay the wheel on the ground, you can (carefully) stand on the tyre to pop the bead.

Not had to try it myself yet though.

I had as similar problem with a tubed tubeless ready wheel and tyre.

It took me best part of an hour to break the bead seal.

Standing on the tyre is worth a try, provided the wheel is on a rock hard surface,

I now carry a small lump of wood, cross section about an inch square, which enables me to bear down on the bead with enough pressure to pop it.

My Schwalbe Moto X balloons have been on and off a few times.

Cracking the bead has become noticeably easier with wear.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Best investment I've made for tubeless tyres is an 'airshot' reservoir, makes seating them a doddle.

I have one of those, although sixty-odd quid is a fair bit for a tool used very occasionally.

In my case, my venerable Halfords track pump wouldn't punch enough pressure into the reservoir which increased the spending to close to £100.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had that once with a conti tube, not in the pouring rain, tightened core with pliers and it was fine, but I don't use conti-tubes anymore.
I think that was probably what I did in the end. I must have sorted it out somehow as I'm not still there. That was one of those rides, one damn thing after another. Everything went wrong. It was later on that ride I learned that it's impossible to keep a tube dry enough to attach an instant patch when it's raining.

I now carry a small lump of wood, cross section about an inch square, which enables me to bear down on the bead with enough pressure to pop it.
With all these extra gubbins needed on a ride, I'm thinking it would be easier to just carry spare wheels. I already have the carriers:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
With all these extra gubbins needed on a ride, I'm thinking it would be easier to just carry spare wheels. I already have the carriers:
View attachment 588624

Ebiking promotes are more sensible attitude to carrying stuff than roadies who want to stuff everything they need in a jersey pocket.

My trunk bag is permanently on the bike and all but empty most of the time, so a short piece of wood is neither here nor there.

Certainly better than being stranded at the roadside.

I have one of those, although sixty-odd quid is a fair bit for a tool used very occasionally.

In my case, my venerable Halfords track pump wouldn't punch enough pressure into the reservoir which increased the spending to close to £100.
It is expensive but I picked mine up for £48 (not being picky) and there's 3 of us that ride together with 6 bikes between us and a couple of wheelsets for each bike so worth it.

Lookrider

Best investment I've made for tubeless tyres is an 'airshot' reservoir, makes seating them a doddle.

And a slight improvement on the financial investment on that
This us an easy hack with all the bits there for you in place and cheap
I Was lucky as an old one was busy so i kept some parts from the bust one for future use
Theres you tube vids of it as well

Basically a garden spray
Remove the water " dipstick " from the top of the bottle and its fittings

Put the cap and fittings back on the water bottle

Remove the yellow tube after the nozzle

Fit the water dipstick in place of the yellow tube

The other end of the water dipstick firs tight as onto the valve

Pump it up until at its max when you may hear a little hiss out of top of relief valve

Open the green nozzle spray and whack the air into the tyre...no probs with rd tures

Occasionally with larger mtb tyres you have to get the tyres on as near as possible to help it along but I have always got there

I also made with stiff lying around a tube that bypass the green nozzle as this is some what a needle valve
So I replaced this with a quarter turn 15mm copper valve available any diy shops ...this let's the air into the tyre much faster than the needle nozzle
However the needle nozzle usually works

Attachments

• 20210514_093939.jpg
    20210514_093939.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210514_093902.jpg
    20210514_093902.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 6
And a slight improvement on the financial investment on that
This us an easy hack with all the bits there for you in place and cheap
I Was lucky as an old one was busy so i kept some parts from the bust one for future use
Theres you tube vids of it as well

Basically a garden spray
Remove the water " dipstick " from the top of the bottle and its fittings

Put the cap and fittings back on the water bottle

Remove the yellow tube after the nozzle

Fit the water dipstick in place of the yellow tube

The other end of the water dipstick firs tight as onto the valve

Pump it up until at its max when you may hear a little hiss out of top of relief valve

Open the green nozzle spray and whack the air into the tyre...no probs with rd tures

Occasionally with larger mtb tyres you have to get the tyres on as near as possible to help it along but I have always got there

I also made with stiff lying around a tube that bypass the green nozzle as this is some what a needle valve
So I replaced this with a quarter turn 15mm copper valve available any diy shops ...this let's the air into the tyre much faster than the needle nozzle
However the needle nozzle usually works
I've seen the video's and indeed they are very good, I just couldn't be ar*ed for less than 50 squid.

That may well be a sensible purchase for you (in your circs), but that is £48 that the bike industry wouldn't have seen without this trend ...
Is that a bad thing though?

Thought we promoted support for the bike industry?

I see cycling as a hobby and compared to some it's relatively inexpensive, depending on what you buy obviously, but I don't mind paying for stuff for my hobby.

Remember, you can ride around on a £30 kna*ker like Skippy does or a 12k Pinarello or anything in between and have just as much enjoyment so we all have a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom