Tube vs tubeless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tricky question ...

We could probably spend the money on something more useful (maybe bike infrastructure, or safety campaigns, maybe funds for disable cycling?). But that isn't going to happen.
Really?

The same could be said for anyone buying an expensive Bike or some new cycling kit then, that really is a strange thought pattern to me.

I could understand if it was Government money but we're talking about an individual's choice of what they spend their hard earned on.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
What tool is that? And doesn't it gum up the valve core?

(Genuine questions not internet points-scoring trap)
https://www.google.com/search?q=caf...376j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active throws up a number of options. As above, I'm using Caffelatex sealant and don't seem to have had any problems (so far) with valves gumming up.
Anyway, the new bike came with tubeless-ready wheels and tyres, but set up with tubes. So, naturally, today I had my first puncture for a couple of years and I could not get the tyre to move off the edge of the rim enough to get a lever in because the seal was so tight. I had, for the first time in many years, to call the wife to come and pick me up. I've not had a chance to try to sort this out at home yet, but I suspect that if I had been properly tubeless -
a. I might not have had a puncture in the first place as the sealant would have dealt with it
b. If the puncture did not seal, then a plug would have dealt with it.

I've not experienced this problem with the older tubeless wheels. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it. I'll be changing these tyres anyway as they have little puncture resistance, so it will be interesting to see how hard the replacements are to mount.
I've just fitted a used (tubed) GP4000 to a new wheel that I've built up on a Kinlin 31 rim (tubeless rim). It certainly was a snug fit, but in the interest of informing this thread, have just deflated it and managed to pop it off the bead by hand. I'm too tight to buy new tubeless tyres when I have perfectly decent GP4000s on a rim that I'm replacing :blush:.

Yes really; what I wrote was quite simple. It makes perfect sense.
The same could be said for anyone buying an expensive Bike or some new cycling kit then, that really is a strange thought pattern to me.

I could understand if it was Government money but we're talking about an individual's choice of what they spend their hard earned on.
I'm not telling anyone what to spend their money on. Read what I wrote. (yes of course 10k would be better going to a good cause than a sexy bike I don't need - but I'm not telling anyone to do that.)

I'm sorry you find it strange - perhaps sometimes reading new strange ideas is a good thing? :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Tricky question ...

We could probably spend the money on something more useful (maybe bike infrastructure, or safety campaigns, maybe funds for disable cycling?). But that isn't going to happen.

It's hardly up to Sheppy - or any other cyclist - to directly fund stuff like that, although they could be urged to make a charitable donation.

The only real cost is to which other business he might have spent the £46 on, but he can only spend his money once so had he gone to B&Q the bike shop would have missed out.

Venod

Eh up
I am a complete convert to Tubeless, and have 4 sets of wheels setup.

But the experience I have had with a WTB i19 would put new users off, the wheels came with tubes but tubeless ready, so I took the tubes out, the tyres WTB Exposure 30mm with tan walls looked good but were very porous, I sent some pics to WTB saying they were not fit for purpose, they sent me some replacements (not tan wall) very quickly, I ran these until the tread started to delaminate (nothing to do with them being tubeless) but I always had trouble getting the front wheel to hold pressure over time.

I replaced these with some Panaracer Semi Slicks, (I liked the ride and feel of the WTB but the quality concerned me} still the same problem with the front not holding pressure, it was OK for a ride but would be flat in a couple of days.

On investigation there was air coming out of the spoke holes and nipples, so the valve was tightened, still going down, so tape removed, wheel cleaned, re-taped, still the same, so the conclusion was it must be something to do with the rim joint, but the tape covers that, anyway wheel left inflated so the fluid over is the joint area flipped to the other side for the next night.

It is still holding pressure, but I am not convinced it was the joint, its strange it is just this one rim, I have smoothed down the valve hole and the tape is sound round it, I will see out it goes.

I can see how all this would put people of.

Was it worth all the faff ? absolutely, I did 50 mile yesterday on 38mm Schwalbe G One Allround @ 40psi (they measure 40mm on the rim) mostly road with a bit off, average 16 mph, the comfort was fantastic.

It's hardly up to Sheppy - or any other cyclist - to directly fund stuff like that, although they could be urged to make a charitable donation.

The only real cost is to which other business he might have spent the £46 on, but he can only spend his money once so had he gone to B&Q the bike shop would have missed out.
Probably spent on Beer and Pies at the match so done me a favour.^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Probably spent on Beer and Pies at the match so done me a favour.^_^

Saw my first league game at the Molineux.

I couldn't get over the deep trench which ran around the pitch.

Neither could our full back who fell into it.

I am a complete convert to Tubeless, and have 4 sets of wheels setup.

But the experience I have had with a WTB i19 would put new users off, the wheels came with tubes but tubeless ready, so I took the tubes out, the tyres WTB Exposure 30mm with tan walls looked good but were very porous, I sent some pics to WTB saying they were not fit for purpose, they sent me some replacements (not tan wall) very quickly, I ran these until the tread started to delaminate (nothing to do with them being tubeless) but I always had trouble getting the front wheel to hold pressure over time.

I replaced these with some Panaracer Semi Slicks, (I liked the ride and feel of the WTB but the quality concerned me} still the same problem with the front not holding pressure, it was OK for a ride but would be flat in a couple of days.

On investigation there was air coming out of the spoke holes and nipples, so the valve was tightened, still going down, so tape removed, wheel cleaned, re-taped, still the same, so the conclusion was it must be something to do with the rim joint, but the tape covers that, anyway wheel left inflated so the fluid over is the joint area flipped to the other side for the next night.

It is still holding pressure, but I am not convinced it was the joint, its strange it is just this one rim, I have smoothed down the valve hole and the tape is sound round it, I will see out it goes.

I can see how all this would put people of.

Was it worth all the faff ? absolutely, I did 50 mile yesterday on 38mm Schwalbe G One Allround @ 40psi (they measure 40mm on the rim) mostly road with a bit off, average 16 mph, the comfort was fantastic.
I've got a pair of 650b WTB tanwall tyres in 42 mm and they peed sealant out of the sides for quite a while but sealed eventually, just put some tanwall Specailzed Pathfinder's on a different set of wheels and not a single leak so I think WTB are quite porous in general.

Haven't had any cases of spoke hole leaks though, although the 650b's are from Hunt which came pre taped and the other set I've recently done have no spoke holes (Campag Zonda's).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
and the other set I've recently done have no spoke holes (Campag Zonda's).

Nice.

It's always struck me as a bodge to try to make an airtight chamber of something with up to 37 holes drilled in it.

Solid spoke beds are the way forward.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It always comes down to penny pinching this doesn't it.

Any minute now .... anyone paying for X has More Money Than Sense (and probably isn't a Proper Cyclist)

And as I noted above the incremental cost of tubeless is very small, especially compared with some people's insatiable desire to just keep buying bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom