Tubeless - it's the way forward

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Novice question, do you need special wheels for tubeless tyres?
Depends on the rim/tyre combo, some non tubeless specific rims can be converted to tubeless. Search ghetto conversions. Tubeless ready rims are designed in a way that the rim and tyre form a good seal. Manufacturers advise against using non specific tyres/rims but it can be done... at your own risk. Essentially, it's not going to work if the combo isn't airtight. If the seal is weak, you risk your tyre falling off with potentially catastrophic consequences to you.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I mistakenly tried to fit a tubeless tyre to a Mavic wheel, believing it was a UST model. It wasn't. It didn't work - and I don't think it would be possible to make it work.

Novice question, do you need special wheels for tubeless tyres?

Ideally yes; it can be done 'ghetto' style but it'll depend on the rim,for instance H+SON Archetypes are not officially tubeless but they do work.I've used Hutchinson Sectors plus Schwalbe One and S-One with few issues(the Sectors needed sealant to stay up wereas the Schwalbes stayed up fine without).

Any future wheels I buy/build will be tubeless.

As for sealant the best two I've used are Orange and Effetto Mariposa with the Effetto being the favourite,it's sealed some big cuts.Stans is useless at higher pressure in my experience being too liquid to seal effectively.

Of course the other thing with sealant is to remember to top it up after a few months.

And can recommend these tyre levers

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/tubeless-bits-and-bobs/products/irc-tubeless-tyre-levers

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would never try to run tubeless on non-tubeless rims on my road bike, the pressures and the risks are too too high for me. I really would not advise it for anyone. For my MTB I ran ghetto tubeless on non-specific tyres and rims for a couple of years, but now since I don't use my MTB much I switched back to tubes for easy of maintenance. I rube tubeless on two of my road bikes and once over the initial setup pains find them really convenient and trouble free. I don't think I will go back to tubes.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
What are the panel’s thoughts on WHY this is better?

If you DO puncture, how do you get out of the doodoo?

Given that the actual total weight saving is about 100g per wheel and the inertia saving is therefore about 300g per wheel: Is it really worth it?

I love Schwalbe Durano but is there a comparable 700x28/32 that is Tubeless compatible with my H SON Archetypes? (Which as said upthread MIGHT work)

I am asking because I’m very much on the fence on this subject having listened to MTBs and Audax riders who chose to do LEL with them. I find it fascinating and I like to add strings to my bow. I like knowing how to do things.

Last edited:

Will Spin

Über Member

Given that the actual total weight saving is about 100g per wheel and the inertia saving is therefore about 300g per wheel: Is it really worth it?

I love Schwalbe Durano but is there a comparable 700x28/32 that is Tubeless compatible with my H SON Archetypes? (Which as said upthread MIGHT work)

I am asking because I’m very much on the fence on this subject having listened to MTBs and Audax riders who chose to do LEL with them. I find it fascinating and I like to add strings to my bow. I like knowing how to do things.
If you puncture then the sealant seals the hole and you carry on riding (you may not even notice the puncture at the time). On rare occasions you may get a hole that doesn't seal in which case a tyre worm can be inserted, this takes less time than the alternative of taking the tyre off and fitting a tube.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Put glitter in the sealant for sealing larger holes.
Or sparkly fountain happy fun times to take the edge off the disappointment if it doesn't seal!

jiberjaber

Veteran

I run H SON Arch converted to tubeless, they have been fine with Pro-Ones and also currently tyre, Panaracer Gravelking Mud's these are the only tyres I have had to use a tyre worm on (twice). Presently I am riding at around 30-35psi its super comfy! The Pro-ones were fantastic, a night and day experience compared to the Durano Plus 28C I used to run.

On my Hunt wheels (which are proper tubeless) I run G-Ones usually at 45PSI or so - these saw me well through LEL. These were the wheels where I got fed up with hearing the noise which sounded like mud stuck between my guards and tyre, and after teh third incident on the same audax, I stopped to clear the mud! This was my first noticeable actual puncture and resulted in a large flint being pushed through the tyre and then sealing. The tyre never went flat.

ZlxdaMzkkRJuZwGw5oOA8J-PHzSEfaUw4pX34SJoDQye5P_FN0nMRaIbLMdbILbZQG3vq3ZXvJjXciPz-f=w759-h1012-no.jpg

The flint....

h7WmF5vljwp48mHteuLQjkK1y-LeUDk5GopGjHFLXsXXmj7XVZOmSh308GhsjPy0i43xFy_-h5ggSpL47=w1069-h1012-no.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Top Bottom