Tubeless set-up joy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
thats interesting @steveindenmark
I just had a Schwalbe One fail because of a nick in the sidewall. I've repaired it with a patch on the inside but haven't put it on the bike yet and like you I'm running with a tube on that wheel (with Conti GP4000 tyre).
I'm thinking of not bothering refitting it and just getting some new tubeless because of how difficult the tyres are to remove and refit - both Schwalbe and Conti have been a PITA.
I have no idea what to replace them with though. Have you investigated replacements?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My schwalbe ones are like sieves after a couple of months.

I might try the Schwalbe Pro next.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Tried to set up my cross bike tubeless last weekend but can't get the tyres to seat (pan racer gravel tyres on tubeless ready kinesis wheels). Tried a track pump and double foot pump but no use.

Was going to go down to the local PFS and use their pump, but realised I will be stuffed if they puncture out on the trails.

Any foolproof tips to seat the things before I give up?
C02.........i used that to seat them, then let the air out, injected to stans through the core and then re-inflated with a track pump. Worked a treat

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I'll give that a go tonight. Can't see myself using tubeless (apart from racing cx) unless I can inflate the things on the go.
Once seated and with sealent its likely all possible punctures will seal on the go, so no pumping required out on the ride. Thats the advantage tubeless and sealant gives you

Venod

Eh up
Once seated and with sealent its likely all possible punctures will seal on the go, so no pumping required out on the ride. Thats the advantage tubeless and sealant gives you

I was going to post the exact same, plus if you get a puncture that won't seal stick a tube in, a bit messy though, and don't forget to remove all the sharp objects stuck through the tyre.

I was running some non tubeless ready tyres tubeless at a lot higher pressure than I should have, it was an hot day and I hit some very warm tarmac, the back tyre blew off the rim, I knew I couldn't reseat it with my punny pocket pump so stuck a tube in, job done.

Found Stans rubbish at higher road tyre pressures;usually use Effetto and now the new Finish Line sealant which is ammonia free and doesn't need re-filling as much as other sealants(usually every three months).

All bikes now apart from the Helium are tubeless;main trick for sealing is making sure the rim tape is on properly and enough of it(minimum three layers).

Just had a look at my sealant (Orange Seal) in the tyres after one year, still plenty in there but it was a funny colour so I ditched it and put in fresh. I didn't know this before but it looks like glitter had been added to the sealant. I've read about this in the past but hadn't realised that Orange seal had it in. This is what i found after decanting some and "gold panning" it. The specks are about 1mm

IMG_20180731_193612_zpsd0fnig3v.jpg

JhnBssll

Veteran
I can recommend the genuine innovations tubeless repair kit for the bigger holes that won't seal with sealant alone - it got me out of a pickle at the weekend :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tried to set up my cross bike tubeless last weekend but can't get the tyres to seat (pan racer gravel tyres on tubeless ready kinesis wheels). Tried a track pump and double foot pump but no use.

Was going to go down to the local PFS and use their pump, but realised I will be stuffed if they puncture out on the trails.

Any foolproof tips to seat the things before I give up?

Make sure the bead sits in the rim well. Make sure it is either side of the valve. Apply soapy water round the rim both sides. Pump away with an ordinary pump.

mgs315

I'll give that a go tonight. Can't see myself using tubeless (apart from racing cx) unless I can inflate the things on the go.

Don’t worry about on the go. Just carry a spare tube and the usual mini pump to get you home, worry about it then.

FWIW I’ve done 1500 miles on my current tubeless (Giant PR2 with Gavia tyres from the factory) and bar the odd drop in pressure and gloop on the tyre once home I’ve not even noticed out on rides, despite some pretty puncture riddled group rides.

Once I’ve had enough of these rims I’ll get some Hunt aero disc rims and get them tubeless too.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
Very tempted to give ghetto tubeless a go on my FFWD F4R-C carbon/alloy clincher, using the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm tubeless conversion kit. However, this will entail valve extenders.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Very tempted to give ghetto tubeless a go on my FFWD F4R-C carbon/alloy clincher, using the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm tubeless conversion kit. However, this will entail valve extenders.

Thoughts?
Should still be ok

Top Bottom