Tubeless set-up joy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Out on the MTB today when I noticed the rear tyre had gone soft I couldn't spot any sealant coming out the tyre I thought it must have sealed straight away, so I put a bit more air in and carried on, about a mile up the track it was going soft again, on further inspection I noticed a spoke had broke next to the valve, somehow this affected the tightness of the valve! I can't figure out why this would happen but I tightened the valve pumped up the tyre and it got me home without further loss.
I had to remove the tyre and tape as the only spoke of the right length had a different thread to the nipple, there was a few thornes stuck through the tyre that I never knew about.

Found Stans rubbish at higher road tyre pressures;usually use Effetto and now the new Finish Line sealant which is ammonia free and doesn't need re-filling as much as other sealants(usually every three months).

All bikes now apart from the Helium are tubeless;main trick for sealing is making sure the rim tape is on properly and enough of it(minimum three layers).
Finish line sounded good but I found it poor in practice. Finish line couldn't seal anything fast or properly, so I'd gradually lose air on a long ride (I'd get home and a 95psi tire was around 20-40psi) and on occasions I'd hit a cat eye or something and the low pressure tire would unseat and I'd limp home with 5psi (the one time I tried a road side fix, new tube it was a right mess). The reviews I have found have said similar about Finish line and I wish I'd never tried it now. I used Joe's on my TT disc for a year no problems and now use Stans (it what was available) and run tires at 85psi with those sealants and only about 5psi is lost before they seal.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
I use a valve extender on my tubeless disc wheel and touch wood I've never had a problem.
I bit the bullet and went for it, using Muc-Off sealant, Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm tubeless ready tyres, and Wiggle's own brand 75mm valves.

Apart from one ride where I lost some air, not due to a puncture but leakage around the bead which seemed to follow riding trough a ford, all seems well.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Don't get me wrong, I'm not even in the market for tubeless. It just seems a hell of a faff for...what, exactly?

Err, far less stopping for punctures. Although having said that, my reduction is only about 20% less than before as the other selfish buggers I ride with still use tubes :sad: , at least now I get to take photographs and provide unhelpful advice rather than getting myself mucky.

Fair enough, I suppose...

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Had to laugh the other day. Huffing and puffing up Pen Y Ghent there was a bloke who'd had the misfortune to have his tubeless tyre explode on the way down. He had sealant all over his hands, his face, his hair, everywhere.

Poor sod. If only he'd gone for tubes.

Or tubs.

Top Bottom