tubeless tire sealant on Brompton tires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I have Marathon Racers on my Brompton now, and due to ample rain in the spring this has been the worst year I can remember for Goatheads, the uniquitous natural caltrops found in the western states. Based on advice from my LBS, I used an ounce or so of tubeless tire sealant each in the tires. Picked up 3 of the nasty buggers and saw the sealant oozing out once I had removed the Goatheads and watched my tire deflate very slowly. Then it stopped deflating, and I pulled out my little Lezyne pump and filled the tube back up to maybe 70 psi and got home. Once there I used my track pump to fully inflate the tire and found it just as full the next morning. Went for my usual + or - 20 mile ride and the tire stayed hard. I had a similar issue with my front tire and inadvertantly pinched the innertube on the inside with a slit a bit too big for the sealant to seal and it was a PITA to get a patch to adhere, but I managed. I thought I might share this since just pumping more air is a lot easier than fixing a flat on the road. The pic of the Goathead shows one with 1/4 " thorns, BTW.

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_135937.jpg
    IMG_20201016_135937.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 58

Schwinnsta

Was the sealent in a tubeless set up?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Was the sealent in a tubeless set up?
I’m sure @12boy adds the sealant to the inner tubes. It’s a sort of belt and braces approach that’s sometimes recommended due to a rear wheel puncture on a Brompton being a bit of a faff. Used with Marathon Plus tyres it’s reportedly very effective.

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
Schwinsta, I am running Marathon Racers with an innertube and while I wouldn't bother in a non-Goatheady environment this is not that. I once ran off a bike path in Albuquerque, New Mexico and got 47 in 10 feet. Fortunately, I had 2 extra tubes.

u_i

Über Member
How long does the sealant last before solidifying on its own in the tube? Is it eventually necessary to discard the tube prematurely because of the sealant? Would the sealant eventually solidify in its original container, when not used?

I had similar horrible experiences in one of the travels and it took me a while to figure out that these were the goatheads that were taking me down. I started taking along tire liners, but if there were a lighter and/or easier option I might jump, hence the questions.

Tenkaykev

Guru
How long does the sealant last before solidifying on its own in the tube? Is it eventually necessary to discard the tube prematurely because of the sealant? Would the sealant eventually solidify in its original container, when not used?

I had similar horrible experiences in one of the travels and it took me a while to figure out that these were the goatheads that were taking me down. I started taking along tire liners, but if there were a lighter and/or easier option I might jump, hence the questions.
Very good points which have got me thinking. If the sealant worked by a reaction to air then it would solidify due to the air in the tyre.

berlinonaut

Veteran
@12boy Did you try slime respectively their tubes? They do offer a prefilled 16" tube, but it is not outlined if 16" does mean 305 or 349 or both.
30051_front_1024x1024.jpg

https://shop.slime.com/collections/...-2-125-schrader?variant=14212618321986#tabs-5

On the other hand they do offer their sealant solo as well - if you have the need you can even get a 5 gal/19L canister ^_^
INTL_TubeSealants32.jpg

https://www.slime.com/uk/products/bike/sealants/tube-sealant.php

They have been in the market for quite a while already, I do however not have any practical experience with it and also do not know anyone that has.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Slime normally lasts two years before you need to replace the tube (or suffer reduced protection). It is also annoying when topping up the pressure, as it can block valves and pump heads even if you put the valves in the correct position (5 or 7 o'clock) and let them drain for a few minutes.

It isn't as good as Marathon Plus tyres.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Slime has very bad reputation. I never used it, I switched my Brommie to Marathons and dont recall every puncturing thereafter. I think I had 2 over a reasonable period with then standard brommie tyres (2005 model).

Slime is heavy and messy. Tubeless tyre solution is a better developed similar product, so makes more sense if you have removeable cores to put it in a tube for belt and braces. both solutions will make a bit off a mes inside your tyre before they seal.

both product seal mechanically, not chemically. Its not a reaction to meeting air (which is present in a tyre or tube anyway) the particles in the sealant mesh together under the pressure of being expelled through a small hole and block it up.

think of it as being sick into your sink and blocking up the plug hole!!

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
I have tried Slime and in my opinion it is messy and heavy. Orange Seal for tubeless tires being watersoluble can be fairly easily cleaned if you do need a patch and you have some water with you. From what my LBS guy says it does dry up after a few months but you just add more. I use Schrader valves and simply pull the core, pour it in a little funnel which goes inside the stem and replace the core. There aren't a lot of 4 season riders here and the Goathead threat goes away in the winter as the ones on the path get picked up by tires and dog's paws so a dose in the Spring may suffice.
There are more than one name for the damn things and Puncturevine is one.
I have read the vine is used as an aphrodesiac for both sexes, although I don't have a clue as to how they are prepared. If that were true they might become an endangered species, I suppose.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
think of it as being sick into your sink and blocking up the plug hole!!
I now have this image of the inner tube holding onto the taps* for grim death while disgorging Slime and pieces of diced carrot.

*faucets for the OP. We frequently have separate hot and cold taps, one on either side. They make useful handles after ten pints and an out-of-date paella

u_i

Über Member
Slime has very bad reputation. I never used it, I switched my Brommie to Marathons and dont recall every puncturing thereafter.

My puncture-free period with Marathons lasted for 3 years until I ran into the goatheads. These gave me a puncture every day and at the peak I think I had 3 in one day.

Top Bottom