Tubeless to be or not to be part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not.

Nightmare.

Hutchinson Intensive tyres, Kinlin tubeless ready rims, stans no tube cyclocross kit for 700cc wheels.
Not sure what I have done wrong but there's no way the tyres will seat.

First I removed the old rim tape and fitted the stans yellow tape, fitted the rim tape with the valve, I didn't drill out the inner hole as it seemed OK, the valve seemed to seat OK but was slightly higher than the rest of the tape but there;s some reinforcing rubber behind it so I assume that's fine.

Fitting the tyre was a right pain, using Park levers, the last bit just chased itself around the rim. Eventually got the tyre on and it just wouldn't inflate, there seemed to be a raised bead by the valve, and although one side seemed to be snug to the rim the other wasn't.

I tried a track pump and an electric compressor, neither did it.

Not sure where to go from here, back to tubes I think.

lpretro1

It helps a lot if you use some soapy water right around the bead to help the ease of getting the tyre to seat. track pump will prob not have the oomph to seat it either

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Garage pumps aren't doing it either, the problem seems to be that they deliver air in pulses. The tyre seats with a tube, take the tube out and the same problem, it doesn't seat and air rushes out pretty much everywhere.

So in short I seem to have wasted around £100, tubeless is not for me until someone makes it easier

They'll be a for sale tubeless stuff on the forum shortly

screenman

Legendary Member
Can you take the core out of the valve, if you were a bit closer or fancied a long drive I would inflate it for you.

Once sealed you will see the benefits.

Jody

Stubborn git
Do you know anyone with a compressor? If you do take the valve core out and use an air duster attachment. Converted my mtb to tubeless and there was now way of sealing with a track pump or the ghetto bottle method. Took about 10 seconds with works compressor.

lpretro1

It's not something daft like using the wrong width of stans tape or that you have punctured the tape - cos we never have probs with tubeless fitting?

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
It's not something daft like using the wrong width of stans tape or that you have punctured the tape - cos we never have probs with tubeless fitting?

Are you tyres seating on the rim? Do you have ANY access to a compressor?

I am pretty sure the stars tape is correct, the rims are kinlin 22t, which are 19mm wide and supposed to be tubeless friendly. I bought the Stans cyclocross kit which is for 700c rims. I removed the old rim tape and installed one layer of the yellow rim tape and then fitted the rim strip with valve and fitted the tyre.

The problem is seating the tyre on the rim, it won't seat. The bead sits towards the centre it doesn't push out to the rim. I've tried a track pump, airline at a garage and a CO2 canister. You can see the tyre expand but also air coming out by the bead. Also the bead seems raised slightly by the valve stem.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I read a tip on inflating tubeless tyres for my boat trailer and it works . Put a ratchet strap on the center of the tyre and that will push the bead out to the edge . Maybe you could do the same with some rope / string and a slip knot ?

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
If its not inflating with anything I would re-do the tape. I have only ever installed tubeless on a two way fit rim so never taped but I have always been able to inflate with a track pump.

If you still want to have a crack remove everything and start again, they seem to suggest using 21mm tape

https://fairwheelbikes.com/kinlin-xr22t-700c-clincher-rim-p-7016.html

https://fairwheelbikes.com/pacenti-tubeless-rim-tape-p-7012.html

Good point, the stans tape is 19mm and I wonder if individual tubeless valves rather than the stans tubeless rim strip with integrated valve would be better?

Jody

Stubborn git
Compressor at the garage won't sort it as it low pressure and it comes out in pulses. If you can get enough air flow through the valve then it's possible to push the tyres and manipulate the wheel so it inflates.

Top Bottom