Tubeless to be or not to be part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Try seating the tyre with a tube in. It should seat , then remove the tube and you've only got one side to worry about.

I'm intrigued about the valve though. Does it get in the way of the tyre beads?

I hate to say it, but a compressor using the air duster through the valve stem with the core removed is the best way to go.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Put the rim strip with the valve on first then the Stans tape, 2 layers if needed.
opposite to the order to the stans instructions?

Try seating the tyre with a tube in. It should seat , then remove the tube and you've only got one side to worry about.

I'm intrigued about the valve though. Does it get in the way of the tyre beads?

I hate to say it, but a compressor using the air duster through the valve stem with the core removed is the best way to go.

It seats with the tube in but I have to remove both beads to fit the rim strip and I think the valve does interfere with the bead at that point. However the tyre bead is a long way from seating everywhere.

Appreciate a compressor is the best way to go, however I don't have access to one

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you strapped it, by this I mean wrapping a strap all the way around the tyre so that it squashed the bead outwards. Even so without a compressor I would say you are onto a hiding.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sorry, didn't see you were using a rim strip.... Comprehension fail. In which case the rim strip is sitting high for a few mm and preventing the seal because of the valve hole hasn't been drilled I expect. Drill the hole so the strip seats flush, otherwise you'll never get it to seat.

Cubist

Still wavin'
For the record, many rims don't actually need a rim strip, just tape, valves and sealant....at least a lot of MTB rims. Cyclocross may be different,

Venod

Eh up
I have only used the Stans rim tape with a valve core on Stans Rims, (MTB) no problem seating with a Track Pump, isn't the CX rim kit used as an alternative to the tape ? I have used the ghetto 20" inner tube on MTB wheels with success, I suggested fitting the strip with the valve first to lower the profile around the valve so as not to foul the tyre.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
You really shouldn't need to strap it. Re tape it with 21mm and CO2 should be fine. also tighten the valve and make sure that is seated.

Cubist

Still wavin'
You really shouldn't need to strap it. Re tape it with 21mm and CO2 should be fine. also tighten the valve and make sure that is seated.
He's using s rim strip. You can't tighten the valve, it's fixed to the strip. If the tape covers the spoke holes, width doesn't matter.

Venod

Eh up
If you put the tape over the rim strip, how does the air get in through the now blocked valve?

You cut a hole in it as you would if just using a valve, the tape in this case is just used an an aid to seal the tyre during inflation, I don't think tape should go under a rim strip/valve combination.

Cubist

Still wavin'
You cut a hole in it as you would if just using a valve, the tape in this case is just used an an aid to seal the tyre during inflation, I don't think tape should go under a rim strip/valve combination.
Neither do I to be fair.

It seems a case of not being completely up with what's required, or why reading and following instructions matters.....

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Neither do I to be fair.

It seems a case of not being completely up with what's required, or why reading and following instructions matters.....

I followed these instructions with the kit exactly. http://www.notubes.com/detailed_kit_instruction.aspx

Point 1 leave on existing rim tape or use 1-2 layers of stans yellow tape, I used 1.
Point 2 drill the inner hole, didn't do this as it is the correct size.
Point 3 install the rim strip

And so on.

I'm sure I have followed the instructions correctly, the issue is definitely getting the tyre to seat. The bead just will not shift to the outside of the rim.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm sure I have followed the instructions correctly, the issue is definitely getting the tyre to seat. The bead just will not shift to the outside of the rim.

You only option is the ghetto bottle method if it offers enough air flow to push your tyre onto the rim to seat or a compressor. Its the volume of air as quick blast that will push your tyre onto the rim.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p - Use this method at your own risk!

Venod

Eh up
Top Bottom