Tubeless to be or not to be part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpretro1

You don't need the rim strip AND the stans yellow tape - one or the other not both. Sometimes I find the rim strips a bit too thick depending on tyre/rim combination

PapaZita

Guru
You only option is the ghetto bottle method if it offers enough air flow to push your tyre onto the rim to seat or a compressor. Its the volume of air as quick blast that will push your tyre onto the rim.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p - Use this method at your own risk!

Just this weekend, I used the bottle method to get a reluctant cross tyre seated on a CXP33 rim. It really works! I went from "this is never going to work" despair to, "crikey, that was easy" in no time at all. I only pumped the bottle up to 40 psi, which didn't feel too dangerous, although I did wear safety glasses and ear defenders just in case.

bottle.jpg

It seems that what really matters is the volume of air available, as it can't be allowed to run out before the bead is fully seated. Many bike pumps prioritize pressure over volume, which is not what is needed here. A workshop compressor with a big reservoir would probably do, but the sort of tyre compressor that you might keep in the boot of your car probably won't.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Is it the whole way round that the bead is not seating or just by the valve? If it is just by the valve then you can make sure valve is to the floor and push down on the tyre so the bead is semi fixed in the right position as you get the air into the tyre - that should stop it from lifting off. I have used a the ghetto bottle, but now find it just as easier with the CO2, which I understand you have tried already.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Success I think.

I left the tyre with the tube in for over 24 hours at 100 psi, started again with two layers of yellow tape and the rim strip and liberal amounts of soapy liquid to both rim and tyre and installed the tyre very carefully. Took out the valve core and used the track pump and it sealed, got it to 60 psi and it deflated slowly, put the valve core back in and it still inflated relatively OK.

I then took the valve core out again and inserted some sealant and tried pumping it up again, this time it wasn't seating, so I took the core out and used the CO2 cartridge, then put the valve core in and pumped like crazy with the track pump, there was so much sealant flying out of every bit of the rim, but slowly this reduced and the tyre got up to pressure. I did the bump/rotate lay on each side and bump rotate again and have now inflated it to 60 psi. I'll leave it hanging and see how it goes.

Now for the rear wheel...............

This has been a right pain I hope it's worth it.

Cubist

Still wavin'
@PapaZita no need for caution. I've inflated a pop bottle to well over 120 psi as a bottle rocket. A 5 litre squash container got to 115 psi before rupturing as we experimented. It went off with a bang so loud it nearly got us thrown off the campsite. We didn't have enough pressure to test the pop bottle to destruction.

Cubist

Still wavin'
@oldgreyandslow you need to get some more pressure in to seat the tyre properly. With a tape, valve and sealant system you need to hear the tyre audibly seat on the rim hook. It's quite a bang. Don't know if it's the same with the rim strip in place, but 60psi sounds a bit conservative. Sealant and washing up liquid bubbles should froth away for quite a while as the sealant dries around the rim and any minute porous parts of the tyre.

Glad it sounds like it's working, good luck with the other one, it is worth it.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Close but not quite there yet, both front and rear lost pressure overnight.
I have inflated them to 100psi again and put soapy water around the rim and on one saw some bubbling around the valve hole so tightened the nut some more, I think that's done now. Couldn't really see much else.
Any ideas? More sealant perhaps as quite a lot seemed to seep out initially.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for this thread. It's been an education.

Jody

Stubborn git
How much sealant did you initially put in and can you hear any sloshing around when you shake the wheel. Did they fully deflate or just lose some pressure over night.

You can expect some pressure loss, so if its just gone down a little then re-inflate, shake that sealant round and go for a ride.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Thanks for this thread. It's been an education.

:laugh: Not quite how I'd put it. I hope it hasn't put everyone off.

How much sealant did you initially put in and can you hear any sloshing around when you shake the wheel. Did they fully deflate or just lose some pressure over night.

You can expect some pressure loss, so if its just gone down a little then re-inflate, shake that sealant round and go for a ride.

I put 20ml in the wheel, can't hear any sloshing around, they dropped quite considerably down to about 20 psi.

Jody

Stubborn git
I don't know what size tyres and wheels you run but Stans reckons 2oz for 700c, which is about 55ml. I put 80ml in MTB tyres and then added some more after I got them inflated. 20ml doesn't sound like much but I could be wrong. Personally I would put another 30ml+ in and give it a good shake then go for a blast to see if they settle.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It all sounds easy. NOT! Certainly i have had no problems with tubes, so sticking with them
The rear tyre on my full suss MTB has in excess of 30 healed flint/thorn holes and the front more than 20. One of the hardtails has a similar number. That's potentially a lot of times I haven't had to stop, get off and patch the tube.

Jody

Stubborn git
I counted the other day and had over 25 in the last 550 miles. Tubeless has been a god send for me. Also has the added bonus of lighter wheels that roll better than with tubes.

Top Bottom