Tubeless to be or not to be part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Update: Put some more sealant in both tyres, probably about 3 oz in total in each one now, maybe a bit less as some escaped when I started pumping and inflated to 100 psi, gave them a good spin both horizontally and vertically, pumped them up again and left them for about an hour.

Went for a quick lunchtime ride, managed 10 miles without incident, checked the pressure when I got back and they haven't seemed to have lost anything significant, maybe a few psi but that's likely to have come out when attaching the pump.

The ride was fine, I don't know if there's less rolling resistance or comfort, difficult to tell. Managed a reasonable pace for my usual lunchtime route although traffic plays a part in the average speed achieved anyway. Hopefully tomorrow I can give them a longer run, now I have to see what the best tyre pressure is, the sidewall on the tyre recommends 100 psi but I wonder if there's any advantage in going lower or if that will cause problems, but so far so good, after all the hassles of fitting them anyway.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
they dropped quite considerably down to about 20 psi.

I run my front @ 22PSI :laugh:

Good job on getting them sorted!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I swear by as opposed to swear at road tubeless!

I am having to run tubes now on my other bike and had three punctures in 1000 miles compared to none that made me stop on tubeless in 2800. I found The Hutchinson a bit like a heavy duty clincher tyre, the Schwalbe Ones roll nicer. The new version is lighter but if I am honest the main benefit for me was the hassle of dealing with puncture and the a main benefit was that I think it will be nigh on impossible to have a blowout that takes me off the bike. Having had a clincher do that to me in the past.

BRounsley

Über Member
Sorry, I’m a bit late to this.

I’ve recently gone road tubeless.

I do loose a bit of pressure, but it’s about 15psi if I’ve left the bike sitting for a week. I do my road bike tyres before each ride so it’s not an issue.

I’d read a few horror stories, so tackled it “tooled up”. My process was painless but I’m putting that down to using “stans no-tubes ztr alpha 340 pro wheels”. Reading around the real difference is the shape of the track the tyres hook into. The wheels also come pre-taped.

I bought the “Airshot” which is just a production version of the “ghetto bottle” and each tyre popped on the instant I open the tap. The second wheel I didn’t bother with soapy water and I’d recon I’d get them on with just a track pump.

I also left the tyres (Schwalbe One) unwrapped and hung up for a couple of days to get them more “wheel shaped”.

My only issue was - When I emptied/discharged the Airshot, to put it away, not being connected to a wheel the hose shot up and smacked me in the face.

If anyone else is in similar position and lives Manchester way I’m happy to loan out the “Airshot”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
I swear by as opposed to swear at road tubeless!

I am having to run tubes now on my other bike and had three punctures in 1000 miles compared to none that made me stop on tubeless in 2800. I found The Hutchinson a bit like a heavy duty clincher tyre, the Schwalbe Ones roll nicer. The new version is lighter but if I am honest the main benefit for me was the hassle of dealing with puncture and the a main benefit was that I think it will be nigh on impossible to have a blowout that takes me off the bike. Having had a clincher do that to me in the past.

I was trying to find Schwalbe Ones but nobody seems to have stock, the only tubeless tyres I could find were the Hutchinsons, I know they're a bit heavy but only 60 off g more than the Schwalbe's.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I was trying to find Schwalbe Ones but nobody seems to have stock, the only tubeless tyres I could find were the Hutchinsons, I know they're a bit heavy but only 60 off g more than the Schwalbe's.
Yeah, they are being discontinued and replace with the new versions. Seen some positive reports from testers, but they have mentioned they are cutting up more. I would say my tubeless ones are slight less rolling than a GP4000s. I think it is the compounds more than the weight.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13015799 I found this thread helpful on Bike Radar. Pretty long one though.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
I'm losing pressure, inflated to 100psi and after about 4-5 hours its dropped to 50. I guess its time to start again!

Not overly impressed, no doubt I've done something wrong.

Jody

Stubborn git
Drop them in some water and see where your leak is coming from. If its out of the spoke holes of valve ten you need to look at the tape/valve. If it comes out via the side of the tyre then the sealant isn't doing its job and/or the tyre isn't seating correctly.

Top Bottom