Tubeless Tyre Care

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have recently purchased a Giant Escape Disc 1. It has tubeless tyres.

This is the first time I have owned a bicycle with tubeless tyres.

Other than inflating, when needed, is there any other regular maintenance I should be doing (on tyres)?

Thank you.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Keeping the sealant topped up is the main task.

How often that needs doing will depend on the components and type of sealant used by whoever set it up.

The simplest way to check sealant levels is to pop a bead and have a look, although you need to be careful not to spill any.

Some users suck the sealant out with a syringe, or weigh the wheel and tyre and top up when that weight drops.

The tyre will almost certainly still hold air with no liquid sealant sloshing around inside, but it might not seal a puncture.

I used to find the quickest way to check the sealant level is to unclip the wheel and give it a shake and listen for the sloshing sound. But since I have fitted nukeproof ARD inserts I get no sloshing noise so just pop a bead and have a quick look once a month. I would once in a while remove the valve core and clean them of the old sealant which seem to in my case to cause a small leak around the core seal.

lane

Veteran
Agree with the above comments. Personally I pop the bead to top up because I use Stans race sealant and not supposed to put through the valve and my tyres are easy to get on off and pump up / seal. You will get an idea how long the sealant lasts over time so you know roughly how often to check. My valves are getting quite sticky now so really need to give them a clean out.

As above, pull the valve-cores and check sealant level with a dipstick; you get one included with some sealants, definitely with Orange Seal. Also, as others state, there’s a massive difference between sealants on how often they need topping up but in general, expect to do it very six months at a minimum for safety’s sake, more frequently if using Stan’s.
Also worth pulling valve cores occasionally to make sure they’re not gummed up, and also clear the threads on valve-stem lock-rings as these can get solidly stuck, which is a bugger if you’re in the middle of nowhere and need to put in an emergency tube.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I don't pop the bead unless I need to take the tyre off.. Over time you will get a feel for how often you need to refill - but this depends on how much cycling you do over the year (and in what conditions - visitation season is here with the rain so more likely to get incidents now which use up sealant). For me, every 2-3 months. Sloshing and weighing might work for some sealants and not for others. (Cafelatex for example foams on agitation so won't slosh except for initial filling.)
I just top up, more is better than none. If I am going to ride a long audax or tour, I just pop in another 50ml per wheel to be on the safe side.
I'm also not one for cleaning out the tyre between fill ups, all you are succeeding in there is breaking the seal its made on the rim and removing a protection layer from inside the tyre. I generally find I wear out a tyre before it becomes heavy with sealant ;)

Whilst I carry a spare inner tube, all the times I have had to use it have been due to lack of sealant, so now I just carry a sealant top up - if you don't break the seal of your tyre, you won't have problems with it popping off and needing to be reseated in the wild :smile:
Both Schwalbe and Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex do small refill packs that can be used on the road.

It goes without saying that you should inspect your tyres for embedded flints and pick them out before they become a bigger issue
If you sdo need to take the tyre off you will save yourself a lot of faff when remounting if you ensure you clean the rim well and also the bead of the tyre, soapy water will help with seating. If you are replacing the tyre, then clean rim is where the pain is avoided.

On the road, tyre worms are you friend - there's some great practical advise from Malcolm at Cycle Clinic which is worth looking at.
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/pages/tech-page
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/living-with-tubeless-tyres

I think I must be close to 50,000km on tubeless now, unless the bike is going to be sitting in the garage for most of the time, I wouldn't go back to tubes :smile: YMMV obvs :smile:

effetto-sealant-60ml.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've been following the various discussions on the boards about the benefits / possible drawbacks of tubeless with great interest.

My only bikes are Bromptons so tubeless is probably not relevant. However, while reading about the new Brompton Schwalbe One folding tyre on the Brilliant Bikes website, they mentioned that they recommend using " Stans Sealant" in the inner tube if using the new tyres.
Any thoughts on this?

I've been following the various discussions on the boards about the benefits / possible drawbacks of tubeless with great interest.

My only bikes are Bromptons so tubeless is probably not relevant. However, while reading about the new Brompton Schwalbe One folding tyre on the Brilliant Bikes website, they mentioned that they recommend using " Stans Sealant" in the inner tube if using the new tyres.
Any thoughts on this?
I've found Joe's and Stan's to be fine but I would avoid things like the Finishline sealant.

Top Bottom