Tubeless Tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Why not? I've used Schwalbe Doc Blue (which AIUI is rebadged Stan's) without problems. Admittedly, I've not been using tubeless very long so perhaps it's just the case that I've yet to find out why not...

The added bonus with Stans is if you need to drop a tube in you can just empty it out and wipe the tyre on the grass. Mate used slime for his tubeless and it made a right mess.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I consider anything over 28 mm, to be off road tyres ( Hybrid at best )

Hmmmm. I don't think it's quite that simple, especially with the boundaries being blurred between road and offroad these days. Martin Elmiger and Sylvain Chavanel used 30mm Schwalbe G-One tubeless on Paris-Roubaix last year.

Admittedly not your typical road race, but that kind of proves the point about boundaries being blurred. Paris-Roubaix has always been a testing ground for different approaches - wasn't it Andy Hampsten who fitted an MTB suspension fork to his bike one year?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What I’d like to see, is the opinions of people who run what I consider to be road width (up to 25mm, possibly 28mm at a push) and road pressures ( circa 85 psi for a ‘road tubeless’) tyre, and decent distances ( circa 10-12000 miles a year ), and see what their experiences of tubeless tyres are. I consider anything over 28 mm, to be off road tyres ( Hybrid at best ) and I’d expect them to be run at far lower pressures, where I would agree the advantages are far in excess of the disadvantages. One of the bikes I had little problem with tubeless tyres on is a Hybrid, with 37mm 700c tyres, run at 30-40 psi ( I’d normally run at 50-60 psi, with tubes). I can see where that sort of set up is much better with tubeless.

See my post mostly 25mm, but recently 28mm on one bike. 90/85 psi on 25mm and 80/75mm on 28mm. ~13k per year including commutes.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
30mm wow. Must have been an unusual frame (for a pro road team) to have clearance.

I'll have a read about that.

Turns out it wasn't last year, it was 2015! Time flies...
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear...rd-and-wonderful-gear-at-paris-roubaix-44064/

To be fair, it was a cyclocross bike Chavanel was riding, complete with canti brakes, although clearance for wider tyres is becoming the norm on authentic road bikes - the Trek Domane can take 32mm tyres quite easily and that's what Cancellara rode in his final Paris-Roubaix.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
“3000 miles over a couple of years”. With that sort of low mileage density, You’d have to be incredibly unlucky to get a significant puncture ( one that needed a roadside fix). But even then you seem to admit to having found the issue with getting them to reseat properly, without a big air shot. 38 mm tyres are practically off roaders, so they won’t be subject to the high pressures of a much thinner tyre ( which a lot of tubeless tyres will be, and where issues become more problematic).

In those 3,000 miles I had a least a dozen punctures that would have required a 'roadside fix' if I'd have been using inner tubes.

In those 3,000 miles I had a least a dozen punctures that would have required a 'roadside fix' if I'd have been using inner tubes.
Yes, but with a (relatively) wide, low pressure tyre, the tubeless set up is ideal, no arguments from me there. That’s what I’ve found. The advantages of tubeless outweigh the disadvantages, at lower pressure, wider sizes.

30mm wow. Must have been an unusual frame (for a pro road team) to have clearance.

I'll have a read about that.
That’s right, 30mm on a standard road bike, is unusual ( although not unprecedented) 2 of my Btwin road bikes have clearance for 30mm tyres, I still wouldn’t call 30mm tyres typical road / race sizing though.

Hmmmm. I don't think it's quite that simple, especially with the boundaries being blurred between road and offroad these days. Martin Elmiger and Sylvain Chavanel used 30mm Schwalbe G-One tubeless on Paris-Roubaix last year.

Admittedly not your typical road race, but that kind of proves the point about boundaries being blurred. Paris-Roubaix has always been a testing ground for different approaches - wasn't it Andy Hampsten who fitted an MTB suspension fork to his bike one year?
Very true.

LewisLondon

The ones that have the issues don’t speak up so readily, probably because they think ( wrongly) that they would be a minority, and therefore it’s an unpopular opinion, and internetzz are mostly about attention whoreing, which posting an unpopular opinion wouldn’t be.

I think ytou're misunderstanding the internetz. People LOVE to complain - going against the grain is what people also love. If someone moved to Tubeless and had loads of issues I would put quite a bit of money that they'd be all over subjects like this with their experiences.
The people who don't go on the internet and talk about it are the happy people. This is commonly accepted, which is why a happy review on a restaurant or similar is seen as a WOW, compared to a negative post - the former are much rarer, even for good restaurants.

Siclo

Veteran
I was running sector 28's at 80 psi before I realised I could drop the pressures a bit, recently gone to 30mm G one's and dropped the pressures even further. Only half my annual mileage is on this bike, the usual commuter is on tubes. I will convert it this year. I think a disadvantage is if you don't run guards, goo on the frame, but all my bikes have guards.

The latest sealant from finish line looks interesting, it's not supposed to dry out and they claim lasts the life of the tyre.

In my experience, punctures are more common per unit distance/time off road, so why are tubeless better? I’ve never used tubeless, so basing this on uninformed prejudice, but it seems unlikely. What do they give a mountain bike?

The give us mtbers months between getting flat tyres rather than days (or minutes on some rides). Been riding tubeless for over 5 years and I can't imagine going back to the hassle of tubed tyres again. I always carry a spare inner tube just in case, but I've not had to use the tube in over a year. (Watch me puncture out tomorrow).

Top Bottom