Tubeless Tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gom

Über Member
The give us mtbers months between getting flat tyres rather than days (or minutes on some rides). Been riding tubeless for over 5 years and I can't imagine going back to the hassle of tubed tyres again. I always carry a spare inner tube just in case, but I've not had to use the tube in over a year. (Watch me puncture out tomorrow).
That's interesting - but what is it about tubeless that gives less punctures? My assumption was that they were the same in that respect.

That's interesting - but what is it about tubeless that gives less punctures? My assumption was that they were the same in that respect.

Ok, true, the number of punctures or the chance of getting a puncture doesn't change. It's just that if a thorn, for example, does puncture my tyre the stans plugs the hole in seconds so I don't have to stop at all. I may have 10's of punctures in the last year, but I've not had to stop once.

I've heard it a couple of times, you hear a small pop, a short pssst and then nothing. Hole's plugged.

I did have one catastrophic puncture with tubeless about 4 years ago where a piece of rebar sticking out of the ground ripped a gash in the tyre wall. Too much for the stans to handle. But that hole would have wrecked a tubed tyre just as bad.

Why not? I've used Schwalbe Doc Blue (which AIUI is rebadged Stan's) without problems. Admittedly, I've not been using tubeless very long so perhaps it's just the case that I've yet to find out why not...

In my experience Effetto and Orange seem much better at sealing bigger cuts than Stans and they also seem better than Stan's at higher pressures.

The new Finish Line stuff looks good too although it's not available yet.

What I’d like to see, is the opinions of people who run what I consider to be road width (up to 25mm, possibly 28mm at a push) and road pressures ( circa 85 psi for a ‘road tubeless’) tyre, and decent distances ( circa 10-12000 miles a year ), and see what their experiences of tubeless tyres are. I consider anything over 28 mm, to be off road tyres ( Hybrid at best ) and I’d expect them to be run at far lower pressures, where I would agree the advantages are far in excess of the disadvantages. One of the bikes I had little problem with tubeless tyres on is a Hybrid, with 37mm 700c tyres, run at 30-40 psi ( I’d normally run at 50-60 psi, with tubes). I can see where that sort of set up is much better with tubeless.

Been running tubeless on 28's for a couple of years now and won't be going back,usually run at about 65- 70 psi and they help absorb the crappy Cambridgeshire roads.

Once the Vittoria Corsa25's wear out on the Helium will be going back to tubeless on that (ran Schwalbe Pro-Ones for a bit)

Top Bottom