Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flyboy

Flyboy

I presume the lower pressures come about , because the tyre is basically clipped to the rim of the wheel so no chance of it rolling off around a berm, but I am only guessing here ,

screenman

Legendary Member
Won't argue with you but really?

Yep! Really, what you need to remember is I started riding, racing when they were really the only option. I remember new one's under the bed. Spreading Embrocation on my leg only to find it was tub cement, we did not have tape back then.

I also repaired my own, often not very successfully.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yep! Really, what you need to remember is I started riding, racing when they were really the only option. I remember new one's under the bed. Spreading Embrocation on my leg only to find it was tub cement, we did not have tape back then.

I also repaired my own, often not very successfully.
Tub cement around your pods?! Niiiice.

gelfy666

Über Member
any advice.............. im new to tubeless on my Bird and my rear keeps going flat over the course of a week, i cant see anything causing the leaking, so whats the best way to sort this out?

screenman

Legendary Member
I mix a solution of washing up liquid and water together and spray it on the tyre, this gives away all it's secrets.

Reactions: mjr

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It seems a bodge to me to have to use tape to seal the spoke holes and goo to seal the tyre.

A wheel with internally fixed (hooked?) spokes allows the rim itself to be solid and therefore airtight.

Bicycle tyres have not been designed to be airtight because they don't have to be - the inner tube does that.

I expect some tyres are now designed to be airtight, so properly 'tubeless' rather than 'tubeless ready'.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/product/view/690

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
It might seem a bodge, but it works.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It might seem a bodge, but it works.

The tubeless set-up on car wheels looks better to me, which I reckon is the direction it may be heading on bicycles.

A mostly conservative bike industry and bike buying public means such developments take a long time.

But I reckon within a few years someone will produce a 'dry' tubeless bicycle wheel and tyre.

screenman

Legendary Member
The tubeless set-up on car wheels looks better to me, which I reckon is the direction it may be heading on bicycles.

A mostly conservative bike industry and bike buying public means such developments take a long time.

But I reckon within a few years someone will produce a 'dry' tubeless bicycle wheel and tyre.

I think they might already be out there, but adding slime or whatever gives you added security.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I won't use those slime tubes; I fitted one once and it let go as soon as I inflated it. The disgusting green stuff was everywhere

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Quick Google brings up UST.

UST appears to be mostly about a solid rim bed - like the Crank Brothers wheel - and doesn't seem to have caught on since most of the links I've seen are several years old.

I suspect more development is required of tyres to make a reliable dry set-up.

The sealant may play a part in sealing the current tyres around the rim, as well as making the carcass airtight.

OP
OP
Flyboy

Flyboy

Another question on this subject, if you have fluid in your tyre , is there ever a chance that at low or high speed , it would gather in one place and give you a sort of giro effect like you have an egg in your tyre. Or am I just stupid

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom