Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've not tried it yet. I can see the benefit but it sounds very messy. Happy with tubes TBH !

No mess with tubeless ready rim and tyres. The tyre goes on dry, I add the required amount of notubes, pump and go. There is a trick though to finding a tyre that works with your rims as some are a pain to initially inflate.

I've been running tubeless for about 5 years and won't go back to tubed for the main reason of I just don't get as many punctures with tubeless. I rode over something the other day that put a hole in the tyre, I heard pssst for about a second and then nothing. Tyre was sealed and I rode on for another 20 miles.

Jody

Stubborn git
I hesitate because I can't justify spending extra money on something that I can't -at the moment -see how it will offer an advantage commensurate with the investment requured

Depending what tyres you run it can be set up for as little as 30 quid.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What do you do when changing tyres. Let pressure out of the valve with a cloth on it to collect the sealant. I assume the sealed remains on the tyre and bot the rim. Do you need to clean the rim ?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
But that is 30 quid more than I need to spend on a problem I don't have. I think I will wait until the cost is integrated into a bike purchase. I would definitely like to try them though!

Depending what tyres you run it can be set up for as little as 30 quid.

Jody

Stubborn git
I run as near to a do it all tyres setup as I can, which is why I picked Nobby Nics. Sealant after two years without removing the tyre has turned into a latex glove on the tyre side but still liquid residue on the rim side. Quick wipe with a cloth and they are ready for another tyre. Or in the case of the blowout at degla it was drag the tyre on the grass :laugh: I have topped the sealant up twice in that time.

You can let pressure out of the valve without a cloth. Never had it leak past the valve yet.

Jody

Stubborn git
But that is 30 quid more than I need to spend on a problem I don't have. I think I will wait until the cost is integrated into a bike purchase. I would definitely like to try them though!

If its not for you then don't do it. There are plenty of advantages to it but does have some draw backs. Tubes have drawbacks also so the decision is yours. Even if its integrated into a new bike you still need sealant to top up which is the majority of cost when converting. Rim tape and valves cost about £10-15

If its not for you then don't do it. There are plenty of advantages to it but does have some draw backs. Tubes have drawbacks also so the decision is yours. Even if its integrated into a new bike you still need sealant to top up which is the majority of cost when converting. Rim tape and valves cost about £10-15

I take no pleasure in pointing out that people who run tubeless have to rely on tubes at some point.

Well ok,I do :tongue:^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I run as near to a do it all tyres setup as I can, which is why I picked Nobby Nics. Sealant after two years without removing the tyre has turned into a latex glove on the tyre side but still liquid residue on the rim side. Quick wipe with a cloth and they are ready for another tyre. Or in the case of the blowout at degla it was drag the tyre on the grass :laugh: I have topped the sealant up twice in that time.

You can let pressure out of the valve without a cloth. Never had it leak past the valve yet.

I've got nobby nics on my FS Pro and been happy with them. I know some MTBERS don't like them but they are quite lightweight and not a DH tyre. I've found them good.

I'll probably go tubeless on the next bike.

Jody

Stubborn git
@fossyant The only reason I am moving away from Nics is their ability to let go with no warning in flat corners. Apart from that they have served me well

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Oooh, never thought of that..... Still, given the positive feedback, the next mtb may well have them, worth a punt I'd say -and I'm assuming the worst case scenario is if I don't like them (which seems unlikely) I can always put a tube in!

FWIW, I can't help but wonder if this thread -and myself for that matter -falls into the category of "well, with my friction shifters I can still change gear, I don't need any new fangled index shifting....", or "rim brakes stop me fine, why would I want disc brakes?" sort of thing. I put great stock in the fact that I read most people who use tubeless are very happy with them -which definitely makes me want to try them.

Jody

Stubborn git
I take no pleasure in pointing out that people who run tubeless have to rely on tubes at some point.

Well ok,I do :tongue:^_^

lol. People who rely on tubes have to rely on tubes and patches even more :whistle: 10-15 minutes stood around in the freezing cold sorting punctures or pinch flat is worth every bit of tubeless to me. Lets say 20ish punctures at 10 minutes each is worth 3 and bit hours of my life. That's not a dig at you BTW.

lol. People who rely on tubes have to rely on tubes and patches even more :whistle: 10-15 minutes stood around in the freezing cold sorting punctures or pinch flat is worth every bit of tubeless to me. Lets say 20ish punctures at 10 minutes each is worth 3 and bit hours of my life. That's not a dig at you BTW.

Twice in 25 years :okay:

(Sigh)
Tubes ?
Tubeless ?
Debate.
Till the cows come home.
^_^

Top Bottom