Tubless tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Finally got round to fitting a pair of Schwalbe Pro One tyres, Rode them yesterday for the first time, Felt really nice, am running them at about 85psi, Was a bit weary for the first few miles, but soon forgot about them and got on with the ride. No problems at all on the ride, and they seem to be holding there pressure. Fingers crossed i hope i can forget about punctures, Still a bit of a niggle in the back of my head about getting them of if there is a problem out on the road, Might have to invest in some tougher tyre levers,^_^ Are there any others on here using them on road bikes,
Ps i used Stan's sealent.

13 rider

Guru
My new TCR can tubeless ready so I gave it a go Lbs did the initial set up ,5000 miles later no roadside issues yet . Had a pressure loss on a particularly wet Welsh ride which was a puncture that sealed but it was that wet and dirty didn't find any sealant . Had 1 ride were I was losing pressure this turned out to be a dodgy value retightened that and no issues yet .Down to running 70 psi now

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive got two sets of wheels with 25mm and 28mm Pro Ones. The 25s are on a wide rim and measure 28mm wide. I run around 85-90psi.

The tyre needs a few miles to scrub off the release lubricant. After that they are excellent in the dry and wet.

They do wear quickly being a performance tyre.

I use Orange endurance sealant 75mil per tyre.

Have a look at the Stans Dart, still got some Maxalami worms here as i don't plan on removing a TL tyre roadside. I ditched carrying an inner tube recently, now favouring a valve core tool & sealant. Here i run 60psi rear and 55psi on the front all on GP5000TL.

Just installed a 2nd set on Friday, now with a little more experience the process went smoothly and took around 1hr.

Such a smooth ride on TL tyres:okay:

Finally got round to fitting a pair of Schwalbe Pro One tyres, Rode them yesterday for the first time, Felt really nice, am running them at about 85psi, Was a bit weary for the first few miles, but soon forgot about them and got on with the ride. No problems at all on the ride, and they seem to be holding there pressure. Fingers crossed i hope i can forget about punctures, Still a bit of a niggle in the back of my head about getting them of if there is a problem out on the road, Might have to invest in some tougher tyre levers,^_^ Are there any others on here using them on road bikes,
Ps i used Stan's sealent.
They are a total liability on a road bike. Good luck.

Let me translate - @Racing roadkill could not get them to work. Hundreds of thousands of people are running them just fine, they may not be perfect for everyone's use case, but they are certainly not a liability..

I can only say that i have found TL to be a liability:

Liable to provide a smoother ride
Liable to fix a puncture without you knowing you even had one
Liable to let you cover rougher terrain when needed

I think that's what he meant:whistle:

Last edited:
Is the sealant a bit messy when, eventually, the tyre wears out and a new one has to be fitted? Just wondering.

By the time it wears out you'll have probably had to top up the sealant several times. If you need to remove a tyre that has sealant in it then you can either remove it with a syringe or just pop off part of the bead at the top, then rotate the wheel and tip out what's in there. As far as clean up i find a damp cloth is all you need.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
By the time it wears out you'll have probably had to top up the sealant several times. If you need to remove a tyre that has sealant in it then you can either remove it with a syringe or just pop off part of the bead at the top, then rotate the wheel and tip out what's in there. As far as clean up i find a damp cloth is all you need.
Depending on how long it has been in there, you either pour it out (to reuse if you want) or pick off the dried on bits on the rim.
Sounds reasonable. Not a show stopper then. :smile:

wonderloaf

Veteran
Or could use one of these:
https://milkit.bike/en/
Anybody used this system yet?

lane

Veteran
I have written elsewhere about my experiences with tubeless which has generally been positive. I had a slight problem this weekend, when I inflated my tyre and screwed the valve back down it was leaking some air to the point where the tyre deflated. I think this was because it had become gummed up and wouldn't tighten back down properly. I decided to replace the valve core with the new ones I had purchased for just such an eventuality - however they and the core remover were not where I expected them to be! I fiddled about with the valve a bit and re inflated and decided to go for a ride anyway on the basis I could top up if needed. Anyway I did 40 miles and when I got back the tyre was feeling a bit softer but not too bad. Yesterday I had a hunt round and found the valve cores and valve remover (not both in the same place!) and replaced the core so hope that will fix the issue.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I don't have the whole kit, I have the bottle and adapter that works well and is a bit easy to handle than my ghetto coke bottle.
I've dumped the ghetto coke bottle and have upgraded to the ghetto fire extinguisher mod, works really well :okay:
I was wondering if anybody has experience of the special valve and syringe for emptying and refilling the sealant, I don't have a particular problem with the sealant but I'm always looking for improvement!

Top Bottom