Tubless tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought some Milkit valves for my previous Vision rims but couldn't get a good seal on them. The valves are a very nice quality and came with their integrated rubber seal at the bottom. This time i bought the valves the rim manufacturer suggested, actually bought them together.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

Here i just use standard 20ml syringes as i have a few hundred i ordered for another task, still got a few left.....

I do find though that after filling that the syringe will often burp back a little sealant, the Milkit ones should avoid this i reckon.

I'm running Tubeless on my disc wheel, my summer wheels and winter wheels. Almost gave up on it two years ago before I realised after a bit of googling that it was the Finishline sealant that was letting me down (avoid). Glad I never gave up though not having to change a p'ture during chemo or now whilst I wait for my fingertip nerves to grow back has been a god send. Might have to get some tubeless rims for the commuter.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've just had the tubeless rim on my rear replaced. I managed to get the tyre back on and pumped up myself, though I only have a standard track pump. I did have to manually tease the tyre up onto the shoulder of the rim all the way round on both sides after failing to get it to seat with a couple of CO2 cylinders. Once fully seated with the CO2, the valve core was removed, some sealant added, and the tyre pumped up again manually. It is now holding the air well.

Mark pallister

Finally got round to fitting a pair of Schwalbe Pro One tyres, Rode them yesterday for the first time, Felt really nice, am running them at about 85psi, Was a bit weary for the first few miles, but soon forgot about them and got on with the ride. No problems at all on the ride, and they seem to be holding there pressure. Fingers crossed i hope i can forget about punctures, Still a bit of a niggle in the back of my head about getting them of if there is a problem out on the road, Might have to invest in some tougher tyre levers,^_^ Are there any others on here using them on road bikes,
Ps i used Stan's sealent.
I can get mine off no problem,must depend on the wheels

Mark pallister

I have written elsewhere about my experiences with tubeless which has generally been positive. I had a slight problem this weekend, when I inflated my tyre and screwed the valve back down it was leaking some air to the point where the tyre deflated. I think this was because it had become gummed up and wouldn't tighten back down properly. I decided to replace the valve core with the new ones I had purchased for just such an eventuality - however they and the core remover were not where I expected them to be! I fiddled about with the valve a bit and re inflated and decided to go for a ride anyway on the basis I could top up if needed. Anyway I did 40 miles and when I got back the tyre was feeling a bit softer but not too bad. Yesterday I had a hunt round and found the valve cores and valve remover (not both in the same place!) and replaced the core so hope that will fix the issue.
The valves are easily cleaned but I just buy a dozen from amazon,v cheap

gbs

Guru
The forum consensus favours TL.

I destroyed Schwalbe Pro 1 tyres in the Chilterns* within the first 1000k 2/3 years ago and so reverted to standard tubed tyres. Last winter I fitted Hutchinson Secteur TL on the winter bike - still running without problems after about 5000k. The summer bike has Continental 5000 TL - no problems to date. I think I was unlucky with Pro 1 in 2018 and I believe that the compound has changed.

Does anyone have an evidenced based view of TL robustness?

I have a third bike, a trusty Croix de Fer, little used nowadays. Would any recommend a switch to TL? My feeling is that the faff of setup and periodic refill is not justified for a bike that is ridden once a month but I am open to constructive thoughts.

* beware Arewig Lane!

Mark pallister

The forum consensus favours TL.

I destroyed Schwalbe Pro 1 tyres in the Chilterns* within the first 1000k 2/3 years ago and so reverted to standard tubed tyres. Last winter I fitted Hutchinson Secteur TL on the winter bike - still running without problems after about 5000k. The summer bike has Continental 5000 TL - no problems to date. I think I was unlucky with Pro 1 in 2018 and I believe that the compound has changed.

Does anyone have an evidenced based view of TL robustness?

I have a third bike, a trusty Croix de Fer, little used nowadays. Would any recommend a switch to TL? My feeling is that the faff of setup and periodic refill is not justified for a bike that is ridden once a month but I am open to constructive thoughts.

* beware Arewig Lane!
I’m on my 3rd set of pro1s I get about 3500 mls
i really like them but find them puncture prone ,will be trying 5000tls next
I have swabbed g ones to on my gravel bike and find them excellent ,only had one puncture despite all the thorns

Top Bottom