Tubular vs Tubeless vs Clincher tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Do you have frequent punctures? How expensive is it to replace a tyre after a puncture?

If You're talking about tubular, I must admit they were for me the least reliable. I did a 60 mile ride on the Isle of Wight and noticed at the ferry there were several pinhole punctures, all sealed thankfully.

Ive had several pothole impacts which have put a big cut in tubular and this resulted in near deflation to the point it wasnt safe to continue.

Ive had probably just as many pinhole punctures with tubeless never a problem. I just keep riding knowing that the hole will seal.

The two occasions where Ive had major tyre damage, tubeless has saved me from a nasty crash. The first was coming down Mt Teide at 40+ mph, after 20 mins of descending I noticed a wet feeling on my legs. Stopping to look I saw a big gash in the tyre. I rode the rest of the mountain steadily to the hotel some 12 miles further.

The other time a mountain bike cut resulted in half deflation, but I heard the tyre let go on a descent. I was able again to ride back to the car albeit a bit slower without needing to repair

OP unless you're doing a huge amount of miles - that's too many punctures. What tyres are they ?

I think I've had one puncture in ten years using schwalbe marathons but they are heavy.

I use gp4000s in the summer and they're fast tyres with minimal punctures.

I always avoid paths with gravel and rubbish I stick to main roads and I try to not cycle to close to the edge as this is where rubbish tends to gather.
check your tyres frequently for debris as well - most punctures are I think caused by stuff gradually working its way through. I turn the bike over and check the tyres before every day ride and some shorter ones, and when doing general maintenance. I run my tyres into the ground and get very few punctures.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

OP unless you're doing a huge amount of miles - that's too many punctures. What tyres are they ?

I think I've had one puncture in ten years using schwalbe marathons but they are heavy.

I use gp4000s in the summer and they're fast tyres with minimal punctures.
My Tyres are:
Espoir Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25mm

Sharky

Guru
My Tyres are:
Espoir Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25mm
With every puncture, you need to establish the cause and only if these are due to tyre penetration by flints, nails, thorns etc, do you need to consider replacing tyres.

Other causes are the inner tube being nipped when being replaced, the cause of a puncture being left in the tyre, pressures too high/low, previous repair failure and faulty rim tape.

Safe cycling

I run my tyres through several/a lot of penetrations. Most of my tyres have multiple cuts. I don't discard a tyre until it starts getting frequent punctures.

Seems to work for me. If "extending" the life of tyres like this it is important to keep an eye on the sidewall though.

Johnno260

Veteran
I still use tubes, too many rides with my cousin with punctures that won’t seal put me off.
I have tubeless ready wheels but I don’t want to switch.

If you get a puncture make sure you check the inside of the tyre, I have cotton wool in my saddle pack that I run around the inside to see if it snags on something.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

With every puncture, you need to establish the cause and only if these are due to tyre penetration by flints, nails, thorns etc, do you need to consider replacing tyres.

Other causes are the inner tube being nipped when being replaced, the cause of a puncture being left in the tyre, pressures too high/low, previous repair failure and faulty rim tape.

Safe cycling
This time round it was a small piece of glass that seemed to cause the puncture :sad: I think I will replace my tyres, the additional cost is putting me off but it needs to be done. I only had the bike for 6 months so the tyres are fairly new.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are these only for winter or also for summer? Is the rolling resistant ok on this one?
Fine all year round hence the name :okay:
I’m not racing so a decent tyre that rolls ok, holds well on wet surfaces and doesn’t puncture is fine for me. I’ve never used the 4 seasons, maybe I will in future but I’ve no need for new tyres. Certainly not this winter (as I won’t be cycling outdoors for the foreseeable after next weekend)

Top Bottom