Tubular vs Tubeless vs Clincher tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you're going to stick with inner tubes. Buy inner tubes with removable valves.

Then use a syringe and squirt in 75 millilitres of Orange endurance sealant. This will make your setup almost puncture proof.

The only downside is you won't have the super smooth tubeless feel.

Either of those tyres will be an improvement on what you have. You shouldn't be getting that many flats.

Johnno260

Veteran
Unless they are decent most of the stock tyres that come with a bike are lacking, the ones on my Merida were horrible it’s the first thing I replaced.

I use P-zero Velo on the Merida during the warmer months 1 puncture in 2 years so far.

The Ribble has some Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyres, 1 puncture in 2 years and the thorn was lethal looking so I didn’t complain.

Sharky

Guru
I have had my 3rd puncture in the past 5 months recently, I don't know what to make of it, not sure whether it is worth buying more expensive tyres or stay away from clinchers in the future or just accept that I had been unlucky and keep changing the inner tube.
I think you said the last puncture was caused by a piece of glass - what were the other two punctures caused by?

Are these only for winter or also for summer? Is the rolling resistant ok on this one?
The clue is in the name, 4 Seasons. They are a good balance of everything for Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. They are good rolling and light, not quite as good as a dedicated summer tyre but grippier and more p'ture resistant. I used to use them year round but found overnight at around 4500 miles they would go from good to bald overnight on the harsher Scottish Roads and they were too costly for me.
I switched to Mitchelin Kyrlions (now rebranded Pro4 Endurance or Power Endurance) a similar themed tyre but more robust.
I use the tubeless version of the 5000s down here now, I'm on my 2nd winter with the original set. But the roads are not as harsh, I have another set for the other summer months and the sealant has probably extended their life.

Top Bottom