Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Chain rings have arrived: 48/32. Do i risk putting them on for ToC? 28/11 on back. Bike in for chain clean and new gear cables today so ideal opportunity.

With our 48/32T Sub Compact OVAL road rings you can ride 31mph/50kmh at 90rpm

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Chain rings have arrived: 48/32. Do i risk putting them on for ToC? 28/11 on back. Bike in for chain clean and new gear cables today so ideal opportunity.

So with 48/11 you can go 30mph at 90rpm? I’m surprised by that but defer to there greater knowledge I guess. Personally I’d want more than that but I’m probably wrong... I guess you may spin out going downhill but the course is relatively flat so if it does happen it won’t happen often.

Your paying someone to clean your chain? ^_^

CXRAndy

Guru
So with 48/11 you can go 30mph at 90rpm?

I am using 44 chainring Tommy. Max speed at 100rpm 32 mph. I was doing 29mph on the flat at the weekend around 92rpm. This is what I was saying last year. Unless you're a cat 1 or pro a 53t or 50t ring is not needed for the majority of cycling. You don't need 50/53 it for descending or on the flats. The only advantage is to make ratios closer so less cadence variation.

kipster

Guru

Any 48/11 combination will give you 30.89mph at 90rpm. A 52/11 gives 33.51, so to stay with Tommy you're going to have to find another 8 or so RPMS ;)

kipster

Guru
I am using 44 chainring Tommy. Max speed at 100rpm 32 mph. I was doing 29mph on the flat at the weekend around 92rpm. This is what I was saying last year. Unless you're a cat 1 or pro a 53t or 50t ring is not needed for the majority of cycling. You don't need 50/53 it for descending or on the flats. The only advantage is to make ratios closer so less cadence variation.
I spin out a 50/11 on the downhills around here, I love fast descents, I have spun out the 52 but I was doing 49.8mph.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

But you’ll spin out descending. That’s reason enough for me. Why spin out if you don’t need to? Admittedly I don’t use 52/11 too much. But I use 12 upwards often. 48 is way too low for England generally in my opinion but it’s obv personal preference. 52-36 just allows for good transition across the whole block.

bobinski

Legendary Member
So with 48/11 you can go 30mph at 90rpm? I’m surprised by that but defer to there greater knowledge I guess. Personally I’d want more than that but I’m probably wrong... I guess you may spin out going downhill but the course is relatively flat so if it does happen it won’t happen often.

Your paying someone to clean your chain? ^_^

I might be^_^
But it is at same time as changing gear cables:okay:
Come on-at least I admit I am crap at this stuff:laugh:

Any 48/11 combination will give you 30.89mph at 90rpm. A 52/11 gives 33.51, so to stay with Tommy you're going to have to find another 8 or so RPMS ;)

I thought we were aiming for average 20-21mph? ^_^

CXRAndy

Guru
I spin out a 50/11 on the downhills around here, I love fast descents, I have spun out the 52 but I was doing 49.8mph.

But you’ll spin out descending. That’s reason enough for me. Why spin out if you don’t need to? Admittedly I don’t use 52/11 too much. But I use 12 upwards often. 48 is way too low for England generally in my opinion but it’s obv personal preference. 52-36 just allows for good transition across the whole block.

I can do 50 freewheeling :smile: There are few occasions where I need to spin to reach high speed. There are alot more opportunities where is need my lowest gearing :biggrin:
Paul
What was your top speed in the IOW on Military road?

Last edited:
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Think IOW last year on that military road. Andy you span out and got dropped (I should of saved that video ^_^). It’s not the mountain passes I’m thinking of but more the steady downhills where you want the 52-11 or 12. Spinning 90rpm to do 30mph is fine on the flat. But roads aren’t all flat! :smile:

Anyways... Bob you’ll be fine. You wait for me at the tops of hills and I’ll wait for you at the bottom :thumbsup:.

Ps, If I was the bigger person I wouldn’t of mentioned to professional chain clean. But I never claimed to be the bigger person ^_^

CXRAndy

Guru
Andy you span out and got dropped

I did, that was with a 40t chainring. I changed it for the 44t, dropped cadence by 10rpm. This is just enough gearing to power downhill in slight gradients, once the gradient goes to say >4% I can freewheel and just keep picking up speed as long as the road allows. After that it's just bravery or stupidity :smile:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I can do 50 freewheeling :smile: There are few occasions where I need to spin to reach high speed. There are alot more opportunities where is need my lowest gearing :biggrin:
Paul

Not sure but I didn’t spin out ;). And I didn’t feel under geared all day either. That’s ideal for me. Not going to the extremes of your gearing means you’ve got something in reserve.

kipster

Guru
Paul
Top speed was 38.7, military road top was 35 ish, which dropped to 27/28 on the flat, and then dropped a little more once Paul B and Tommy dropped me.

kipster

Guru
I did, that was with a 40t chainring. I changed it for the 44t, dropped cadence by 10rpm. This is just enough gearing to power downhill in slight gradients, once the gradient goes to say >4% I can freewheel and just keep picking up speed as long as the road allows. After that it's just bravery or stupidity :smile:
It's definitely stupidity, it feels great at the time, afterwards I get the what ifs going around my head.

Top Bottom