Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Screenshot_20180529-114607_Strava.jpg

This Tommy's Military road segment. He was the quickest over the distance, beating me by a minute 1mph AVE faster. His cadence is around 88-94rpm to sustain his effort. Top speed 33ish mph.

My top speed was 35mph but I was freewheeling. just moments later I hit my hr redline and had to back off.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Like I said previously it’s obviously personal preference. On the IOW I was comfortable all day. I didn’t grind up the hills or spin out on the descents. My gearing left me with bail out gears either side of what I used. If I had spun out or alternatively ground up hills then I’d of probably asked myself more questions. Cambridge is going to be a lot flatter than the IOW so if anything my margin of comfort will be even wider. My knee may let me down but that’s for another day...If you think something less than 52 is optimal for you then go for it. But for me that’s ideal for most days in England.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

My biggest dilemma is which bike to bring. Obviously the temptation is to bring the new one. But if I crash it so close to the French trip it would be a pain.

CXRAndy

Guru
My biggest dilemma is which bike to bring. Obviously the temptation is to bring the new one. But if I crash it so close to the French trip it would be a pain.

I wouldnt be worried about the bike if I crash Tommy, it's yourself. Are both bikes setup the same?

bobinski

Legendary Member
we are, aren't we? I am :laugh:

If you can get a guarantee to get the fitted Bob, I would do it, else after ToC.

Being fitted as I type.

My knee bites hard on me at 50/11 so I tend to avoid anyways and doubt i would use it even in the draft given our anticipated/hoped for average speed. My only hesitation about installing before our ride was if it meant i might disadvantage the group.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

If you didn't use either end of gearing in IOW then it's obvious you're strong enough and matched to the bike setup. :okay:

I, on the other hand!

I was saying to Bob the other day how steadily you’ve gotten stronger and stronger mate. I don’t suppose there’s anything in it between me and you really. In fact we’ve both sort of progressed together over the last couple of years. Maybe I can go up a hill a little faster and you’ll shoot past me on the flat (given the right gearing of course ^_^).

bobinski

Legendary Member
I was saying to Bob the other day how steadily you’ve gotten stronger and stronger mate.

I told him he was talking rubbish ...

CXRAndy

Guru
Being fitted as I type.

My knee bites hard on me at 50/11 so I tend to avoid anyways and doubt i would use it even in the draft given our anticipated/hoped for average speed. My only hesitation about installing before our ride was if it meant i might disadvantage the group.

You won't have any issues with speed Bob on your new gearing. See here plenty of room in terms of gearing against speed at 90 and 80rpm-which you won't be doing most of the t
Screenshot_20180529-123933_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180529-124145_Chrome.jpg
ime

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
So with 48/11 you can go 30mph at 90rpm? ^_^

Check out this website (http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence) lets you work out speed based on cadence and gearing. It's what us youngsters use when working out the gearing for our single speed bikes :laugh:

So, as much as it pains me to say this, @bobinski is right :okay:

Edit : just spotted Andy has posted a link to this site already. I really must pay attention.

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Top speed was 38.7, military road top was 35 ish, which dropped to 27/28 on the flat, and then dropped a little more once Paul B and Tommy dropped me.
Is that the military road where @bobinski sat on my wheel? :biggrin: Must confess, I didn't even know he was there until he came past and asked where the others had gone. :popcorn:

bobinski

Legendary Member
I have got stronger, it's just others have got even more. So relatively I'm weaker!

I'm having an easy week, weights today, TT Thurs and pottering about on MTB inbetween

I was only jesting Andy. Of course you are have. Aside from power you have also improved your stamina hugely with those 100km fast paced rides. They will stand you well at the ToC.

Top Bottom