Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Lee, isn’t it just too warm at the moment to do an ftp? Why are you doing it? If you are set on it perhaps do the tr ramp test? Or you can download the Sufferfest for a 7 day trial and try and their 4dp test- it will break you though. That’s the intention. Depends on what you want to know.
And no, I haven’t completed one. Nor will I have another go till the autumn

kipster

Guru
serious question boys - after the last "Bob " i mullered the front shifter and rear mech on a campag 10 speed - now i have been looking at replacing like for like and i have found with some of the deals that are out there i can get 11 speed bits for nearly the same price - now i know i would have to get new chain ( no bad thing - and also a 11sp cassette again no bad idea ) question is - would all the parts play nice together - athena levers - centaur rear mech ? -- maybe aimed more at @kipster as i know he likes his campag
not that bothered what it looks like just as long as its smooth running

I'm not really sure, there is compatibility across 10s group set mixes, and I assume also across 11s, but the new Potenza and centaur changed things.

This guy is the man to ask http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_faq.shtml

kipster

Guru
Lee, isn’t it just too warm at the moment to do an ftp? Why are you doing it? If you are set on it perhaps do the tr ramp test? Or you can download the Sufferfest for a 7 day trial and try and their 4dp test- it will break you though. That’s the intention. Depends on what you want to know.
And no, I haven’t completed one. Nor will I have another go till the autumn
I thought the ramp test was good, I hate the FTP 20 minute test, but the ramp test gave me the same FTP result, and it only lasted 15 minutes or so in total.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
You need a steady incline to do FTP or TR
I've tried to do an FTP twice. Never completed one.

An FTP test is just that, a test, many people are not very good at tests. I like the idea of using a session over 30 minutes to gauge your power. In my case most of my ftp improvements have come from sessions of almost or over an hour. I seem to do better in virtual world situations. I can put out an amount of power for 1 hour and mostly gain an improvement.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've tried to do an FTP twice. Never completed one.

An FTP test is just that, a test, many people are not very good at tests. I like the idea of using a session over 30 minutes to gauge your power. In my case most of my ftp improvements have come from sessions of almost or over an hour. I seem to do better in virtual world situations. I can put out an amount of power for 1 hour and mostly gain an improvement.

It's just a gauge to see how strong you're. Ideally you do them when fully rested, motivated and in good conditions, eg cool temperature either morning or pm depending which suits you physically. I find the Dual 8 min test most tolerable. The longer the test the more accurate of your FTP power. everyone should really do an hour, but it's so tough bring it all together hence shorter tests

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I'm not really sure, there is compatibility across 10s group set mixes, and I assume also across 11s, but the new Potenza and centaur changed things.

This guy is the man to ask http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_faq.shtml
my brain hurts !
thanks for the reading
by the sounds of things i will be better off waiting for the bits i need to come up on eb
i could start spending money that i will never get back - but i have learnt now that campag has moved up to 32tooth cassette !

berty bassett

Legendary Member

berty bassett

Legendary Member
What bits do you need, I'll keep an eye out
the rear derailleur ( 10sp centaur red ) looks very poorly and i want to replace ( one on ebay now ) and while i think one shifter buried itself in my rib cage the right hand side one took a right hammering on the tarmac - still works but bent and battered
not bothered if they were just centaur 10 as you only pay for the little red bits -!

bobinski

Legendary Member
It's just a gauge to see how strong you're. Ideally you do them when fully rested, motivated and in good conditions, eg cool temperature either morning or pm depending which suits you physically. I find the Dual 8 min test most tolerable. The longer the test the more accurate of your FTP power. everyone should really do an hour, but it's so tough bring it all together hence shorter tests

With the Sufferfest they advise you spend a week preparing, mix of gentle rides, others to fire up certain muscles, cadence drills and then BOOM straight in for an hour. But it’s mixed up with different efforts.
I would just rest and buy the Scott foil:okay:

kipster

Guru
the rear derailleur ( 10sp centaur red ) looks very poorly and i want to replace ( one on ebay now ) and while i think one shifter buried itself in my rib cage the right hand side one took a right hammering on the tarmac - still works but bent and battered
not bothered if they were just centaur 10 as you only pay for the little red bits -!
So 10s centaur and Veloce are cross compatible, the shifters have the same internals so you could look out for those. As the shifters are compatible then so are the rear derailleurs. I run Veloce derailleurs, with a centaur cassette (12-27 is only available on centaur) and centaur shifters on the winter bike
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campagnolo-p-shift-ergos-dble-veloce-black-10spd-w-cbls/

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i have heard there may be a giant tcr on the market soon ! but heard its had a hard life :biggrin:
fwiw - have the bike shop checked the cable isnt sticking somewhere ? does it only happen going down the cassette
then i would check the hanger - i dont think its done enough miles to be worn components out yet unless something is out of line

Top Bottom