Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I've tried to do an FTP twice. Never completed one.

An FTP test is just that, a test, many people are not very good at tests. I like the idea of using a session over 30 minutes to gauge your power. In my case most of my ftp improvements have come from sessions of almost or over an hour. I seem to do better in virtual world situations. I can put out an amount of power for 1 hour and mostly gain an improvement.
I did an FTP test on Zwift tonight, the 'short' one. The first 20 mins, which includes some pretty horrible 'warm up' intervals, buggered me up before I even got to the 20 mins FTP test. I managed to ave 258 watts for the FTP test which Zwift calculated as an FTP of 245. I now have a target to aim for as I try to push this up to 275, at the same time as losing 10kg of fat.

Need to rest though now the remainder of this week :laugh:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I've tried to do an FTP twice. Never completed one.

An FTP test is just that, a test, many people are not very good at tests. I like the idea of using a session over 30 minutes to gauge your power. In my case most of my ftp improvements have come from sessions of almost or over an hour. I seem to do better in virtual world situations. I can put out an amount of power for 1 hour and mostly gain an improvement.

I agree with this entirely. I think doing a ftp is a skill in itself and for me I’m a little bit sceptical of them. It’s very possible my stance on this is a little old fashioned...:rolleyes:

I get that if you test yourself and you have a ftp of 200w. Then a month later after another test it’s 220w ,you can use this as an indicator of improvement. But it’s also and indicator that you’ve improved at ftp tests. Until you get to a point where you can’t improve anymore at the process of doing ftp test you won’t know whether your power is improving more than your ability to do a ftp test to max potential. It’s why I find it hard not to take ftp numbers with a pinch of salt.

kipster

Guru
Thought I'd start to get organised for the DD

IMG_20180618_212354176_LL.jpg

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
My bikes being a right DICK! The gears are really giving me the run around! I’ve just had it all in bits, and been YouTubing like hell. Got it all back together and it’s still jumping gears. Bike shop for me tomorrow! And no....before you all start yelling....for a service...not a new bike!

kipster

Guru
That's the spare room, it was once my daughters bedroom but she lives in Leeds now so the bikes live in there now. Not allowed to get rid of the bed in case she visits.

bobinski

Legendary Member
i have heard there may be a giant tcr on the market soon ! but heard its had a hard life :biggrin:

:reading:

fwiw - have the bike shop checked the cable isnt sticking somewhere ? does it only happen going down the cassette
then i would check the hanger - i dont think its done enough miles to be worn components out yet unless something is out of line

:reading:
To be fair it’s only done about 75 miles on the road this year :biggrin:

:biggrin:

its done about another 75 up the verge though :biggrin:

:rofl:

LBHIFI

Veteran
I did an FTP test on Zwift tonight, the 'short' one. The first 20 mins, which includes some pretty horrible 'warm up' intervals, buggered me up before I even got to the 20 mins FTP test. I managed to ave 258 watts for the FTP test which Zwift calculated as an FTP of 245. I now have a target to aim for as I try to push this up to 275, at the same time as losing 10kg of fat.

Need to rest though now the remainder of this week :laugh:
The Zwift FTP warm up is not for me either. I use the Zwift FTP workout, but ignore the warm up part and do my own zones.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
The Zwift FTP warm up is not for me either. I use the Zwift FTP workout, but ignore the warm up part and do my own zones.
I was hoping for a nice 10 mins warmup before I hit the FTP test ... I wasn't expecting to hit over 300 watts for 2 minutes before I even started the test :B) It was a good session though none-the-less and can only be good for improving my fitness in the long run :okay:

Top Bottom