Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Need (OK, want) to change tyres on my SS for the upcoming ToC. Obvious choice is Conti 4 Season as I have these on the Boardman and they have been good at preventing punctures. But are there any other options out there worth considering? Want them to be fast rolling, but puncture resistant. 25s or 28s.

Schwalbe Durano Plus :thumbsup:

bridgy

Legendary Member
I've re-done the Welsh DD on Strava and sent invites to those likely to do it

also here https://www.strava.com/routes/18595931

Food stops 23, 60, 80,and 107 miles also mention of coffee/drink at 52mile

Here is the shortened 95mile version

https://www.strava.com/routes/18595931

By look of it, a decision whether you're doing 95 or 130 at mile point 27!!:eek:
I think that was the same last year - made doing the longer route on my own a long, lonely day!

Norry1

Legendary Member
That's some more good time in the legs TB. It's my rest day today, be back on the bike tomorrow. So hard to stay disciplined and not do an 'easy' ride when I know I need to rest.

I'm in the same boat. Had a massive TSS week with 250+ miles in 8 days and new power records IRL all over the place. Need a day off today but already feeling tempted to ride this evening.

peterob

Veteran
The Conti GP4000S II is currently cheaper than the 4 Season version on Wiggle. It only has a single layer of puncture protection instead of double, but that does make them lighter - and I have found them very puncture resistant (touch wood!). I've used them (or their predecessors) for years and only had one puncture I can remember, and that was where I rode through the debris from a recently cut VERY thorny hedgerow and the poor tyres didn't stand a chance! Should be all you need for summer riding - and you benefit from them being lighter, probably better rolling resistance, and currently cheaper too?
I'll second this (third it actually looking at Aleman's post too). Only one puncture last year in approx 4K outdoor miles.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm still suffering undercarriage issues, so unless it improves rapidly, I'm doubtful for the event. Less riding helps but flares up with short rides after a hour or so

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I'm in the same boat. Had a massive TSS week with 250+ miles in 8 days and new power records IRL all over the place. Need a day off today but already feeling tempted to ride this evening.
i know, I'm getting a bit obsessive. I could easily do a ride today of 90 mins +, or a race and hit normal 240-250 watts, but I know my body needs to recover to get stronger. Must stay disciplined though as don't want to do anything stupid like overtrain and blow my ToC ride.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Put the 32T cassette on the bike last night in prep for the DD.

Please don't tell me I could do with lower gearing! :blink:
Apart from the Devils (or Devil if doing the 95 mile route) every other hill is 'easy' to get up ('easy' as in I could climb them at my old weight and being less fit). I think even I'd have a chance now at the Elbow with 32 on the rear. You should be fine :okay:

peterob

Veteran
I've re-done the Welsh DD on Strava and sent invites to those likely to do it

also here https://www.strava.com/routes/18595931

Food stops 23, 60, 80,and 107 miles also mention of coffee/drink at 52mile

Here is the shortened 95mile version

https://www.strava.com/routes/18595931

95 mile route- Food stops 23, 46 and 72 miles

By look of it, a decision whether you're doing 95 or 130 at mile point 27!!:eek:
Thanks Andy. Both those links are going through to the 95 mile route. Have you got the link for the 135 (in case I'm crazy enough to go for it)?

bridgy

Legendary Member
Put the 32T cassette on the bike last night in prep for the DD.

Please don't tell me I could do with lower gearing! :blink:
I did it on a 32 cassette the first time, but my newer bike is 11/28 and I managed OK on that last year. I'm not saying you won't be grateful of the 32 on the day though!!

bobinski

Legendary Member

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks Andy. Both those links are going through to the 95 mile route. Have you got the link for the 135 (in case I'm crazy enough to go for it)?
O bollox, editing the original 130 mile route and renaming doesnt doesnt save as new route just overwrites the original. I ll redo the original route later today

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Don’t they put up an official gpx route for DD?

Agree with Bridgy about the conti’s. Corsa G ‘s are much plusher but not as puncture resistant. For what it’s worth I’ll be using corsa g tubs, but that personal choice of comfort over puncture risk.

Pete I did the long course on 36/28 but this year, as i have in the mountains, I’ll go for 34/32.

Top Bottom