Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
It was SOOO hot last year - I forgot to put suncream on and got burnt to a crisp!

Looking forward to it - we'll have to resurrect the DD WhatsApp group a bit nearer the DAY :okay:

Are you admin if that group if so add me please mate. Never too soon to start talking shite surely!

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Yes lee that can be your challenge. No need for me to do the 130 with you now. You do the 130 on your own and see if you can beat us to the finish :thumbsup:
Have you been talking to our resident lawyer about finding loopholes and excuses ?

I can’t remember who’s coming to Wales for the DD

Bob
Lee
Pete
Carl (?)
Dean
Paul (Bridgy)
Bill
Adam
Randy (?)
Rob (?)
Norry (?)
Me

Andy of course has just said he can’t make it. Kipster also can’t makw it this year. Did I miss anyone else out? It looks like a great turnout if all or even most the people on that list make it to the start.

(Dare I say it out loud but..) The weather looks promising. In Wales a big dark cloud is never far away as I’m sure we’ve all experienced. But the predicted temperature is a high of 15c so fingers crossed!!
I'll be there but due to crazy workload very lacking in preparation . Much like the above posts talk about, for me it's all about the joy of the rides. The self indulgent annual solo credit card tours have been added to greatly by this online VR riding. Last year was the first time riding with others but I'm still not very competitive.

Last edited:

Bob
Lee
Pete
Carl (?)
Dean
Paul (Bridgy)
Bill
Adam
Randy (?)
Rob (?)
Norry (?)
Me

Andy of course has just said he can’t make it. Kipster also can’t makw it this year. Did I miss anyone else out? It looks like a great turnout if all or even most the people on that list make it to the start.

(Dare I say it out loud but..) The weather looks promising. In Wales a big dark cloud is never far away as I’m sure we’ve all experienced. But the predicted temperature is a high of 15c so fingers crossed!!
I haven't seen the Swansea dudes on Strava lately. @rob01792 are you and Martin available for lunch on Friday? I plan on riding through Swansea around noon.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I know I’ve said this before too but I don’t think it is more of a challenge. Just a different type of challenge. Sounds very nit picky maybe but... You do have a geared bike, but it only has one gear. So that just means you’ll go at the pace and cadence that gear dictates. In some ways that actually makes it easier compared to those amongst us who’ll be going flat out all the way :cuppa:
I think we'll have to disagree .... definitely more of a challenge for me. The only way to change speed on SS is to change cadence, as opposed to a geared bike where you can aim for preferred cadence by changing gears. Maybe not much difference when fresh, and on flats, but when fatigue kicks in not having the ability to drop to an easier gear to spin out for a bit really does make it more challenging. If it was less of a challenge, everyone would be riding SS/FG and there would be no need for the other 21 gears :rolleyes:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

Bob
Lee
Pete
Carl (?)
Dean
Paul (Bridgy)
Bill
Adam
Randy (?)
Rob (?)
Norry (?)
Me

Nope - not signed up as can't get carer for HID that weekend.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I think we'll have to disagree .... definitely more of a challenge for me. The only way to change speed on SS is to change cadence, as opposed to a geared bike where you can aim for preferred cadence by changing gears. Maybe not much difference when fresh, and on flats, but when fatigue kicks in not having the ability to drop to an easier gear to spin out for a bit really does make it more challenging. If it was less of a challenge, everyone would be riding SS/FG and there would be no need for the other 21 gears :rolleyes:

Maybe I should expand. The difficulty will be dictated by the amount of effort you put in. And relative to each persons physical ability and willingness to suffer. Whether you’re going at your maximum possible effort on a single speed or your max possible effort on a geared bike makes no difference. The difference is in how much effort you choose to put in. Hence the challenge is no more difficult, just different.

For what it’s worth I’m not just disagreeing with you for the sake of it. I’m actually speaking from a position of doing long distance rides flat out on a geared bike, and also doing long distance endurance rides on a fixed bike (where unlike a single speed you can’t freewheel). You’ll only know which is more difficult when you can make a direct comparrison.

You will find that you’ll soon settle into a pace and plod along. Where as we’ll be on the max in a group probably pushing harder than we should do as not to be dropped. I know what I’d find easier.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I'll be there but due to crazy workload very lacking in perpetuation. Much like the above posts talk about, for me it's all about the joy of the rides. The self indulgent annual solo credit card tours have been added to greatly by this online VR riding. Last year was the first time riding with others but I'm still not very competitive.

When are you flying in Randy? The DD is all about the joy of the ride. Well and a little exhaustion. Cambridge is great fun if you enjoy going at break neck speed. But the DD was just a really great day when I did it.

rob01792

Über Member

Bob
Lee
Pete
Carl (?)
Dean
Paul (Bridgy)
Bill
Adam
Randy (?)
Rob (?)
Norry (?)
Me

I haven't seen the Swansea dudes on Strava lately. @rob01792 are you and Martin available for lunch on Friday? I plan on riding through Swansea around noon.

Hi randy ive been away for almost 4 weeks got back monday will try and met up fri work allowing what route u doing
Tommy i wont be doing the dd this year to much drinking and eating whilst away just struggled to do a 50 odd mile flat route theres no way I'd get around the single D
Bit gutted ad there's a lot of Cyclechaters this time round

Hi randy ive been away for almost 4 weeks got back monday will try and met up fri work allowing what route u doing
Tommy i wont be doing the dd this year to much drinking and eating whilst away just struggled to do a 50 odd mile flat route theres no way I'd get around the single D
Bit gutted ad there's a lot of Cyclechaters this time round
Here is the route Komoot has mapped.

https://www.komoot.com/tour/63833137

I'm guessing if we meet for lunch you'll be sick of Thai food.

Top Bottom