Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I've done a very similar event to this called Cyclothon round Brands Hatch a couple of times, but that was only 12 hours and was hard enough! Great fun too though!

I remember you mentioning brands hatch and me thinking it sounded great. Would you think about doing something similar again?

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Would really like to go with you guys to conquer Ventoux, but we have been spending silly money traveling this year. We're going to Maspalomas, Gran Canaria in October, so I'll be satisfying my mountain-hunger there. Also finally spend money on an upgrade for the ToC TT (don't tell my wife :whistle:):

View attachment 478158

Which wheel do you think wheighs the most?

The disc is lighter? Looks very pro either way :becool:. I bet it makes a lovely sound too! Have you used it yet?

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Got it.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Been a busy couple of days.

I found out yesterday that my Guru bike, that I was planning to take to the Alps first week of September, has got a crack in it. Mechanic friend of mine picked it up. It's booked in with the nearest carbon frame repair shop now. Touch and go whether it will be fixed before I go, so had to sort out a Plan B as well.

It's a real pain, but not as painful as a frame failure when descending in the Alps. I had a carbon fork failure five years ago and ended up in hospital for 3 days. I'd rather not go through that again.

Lucky your mate spotted by the sounds of it mate. Any idea how it happened?

It only occurred to me a few days ago that I probably should’ve put a claim in for my handlebars after I crashed in the alpes. I’ve not taken the bike out of the box yet. Let alone taken the tape of the bars to give them a good once over. But I’m not sure I want to use the bars again now.

Del C

Veteran
Who you booked it in with? I have some gouges on one of my carbon wheels I want checked over. I think it’s fine but want someone who knows to have a proper look.
I'll need to check for their name, as its the mechanic who has the relationship with them and has made the booking.

They've done paintwork for me before on another bike.

They're based in Leatherhead.

Del C

Veteran
Lucky your mate spotted by the sounds of it mate. Any idea how it happened?

It only occurred to me a few days ago that I probably should’ve put a claim in for my handlebars after I crashed in the alpes. I’ve not taken the bike out of the box yet. Let alone taken the tape of the bars to give them a good once over. But I’m not sure I want to use the bars again now.
No idea how it happened.

The mechanic asked if I transported the bike with the bottle cages in place, as the split is at one of the bottle cage mounts.

Apparently he says this is a weak spot for carbon frames and recommends that you remove the cages when transporting the bike. I'm going to check this with him again when I see him. I often transport the bike by a roof carrier, so I'm guessing that's what he means. I can't see that transporting it in a box would be a problem.

Del C

Veteran
Yep.

That looks like them.

The timescales are the ones quoted to me, although they're said they think they can bring min forward 2-3 days to allow the mechanic time to reassemble the bike and get it back to me before we go.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

No idea how it happened.

The mechanic asked if I transported the bike with the bottle cages in place, as the split is at one of the bottle cage mounts.

Apparently he says this is a weak spot for carbon frames and recommends that you remove the cages when transporting the bike. I'm going to check this with him again when I see him. I often transport the bike by a roof carrier, so I'm guessing that's what he means. I can't see that transporting it in a box would be a problem.

Yeah that sounds like a wierd one doesn’t it. If it can happen in transit like that then is that force stronger than removing / inserting a bottle? Even a heavy bottle cage is only 60 grams or whatever. Dunno... I’m no expert. I’d be interested in what he says though if you wouldn’t mind posting it.

For what it’s worth I’ve used carbon bike repair and they did a brilliant job matching the paint on my colnago which has lots of different shades of colour. I was really impressed.

kipster

Guru
Yeah that sounds like a wierd one doesn’t it. If it can happen in transit like that then is that force stronger than removing / inserting a bottle? Even a heavy bottle cage is only 60 grams or whatever. Dunno... I’m no expert. I’d be interested in what he says though if you wouldn’t mind posting it.

For what it’s worth I’ve used carbon bike repair and they did a brilliant job matching the paint on my colnago which has lots of different shades of colour. I was really impressed.
They repaired a mates Bottechia which had the top tube in two bits after he was knocked off, you can't tell, the paint work they did is top class.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Thanks mate, real shame you are missing it.

Start time is 05:56! Loading opens at 04:44. Hardly worth going to bed.

Nice!

I checked my strava just now and I think that must be the start time I got when I did it. Hopefully you get a good clean run.

Top Bottom