Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
After all the positive comments I’m receiving about my glowing character reference for Tommy, I’m starting to wonder if I maybe over egged it. I would hate to be responsible for the abject disappointment that might result from anyone meeting him for the first time on this trip.
And as for you Lee, and your kind offer of unlimited tea and other diuretic beverages for Andy....I’ll be bringing my caravan.
Huh - you won’t be quite as nimble and aero towing that up the hills !

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I'd like to join you!

I've ridden Ventoux before from the Malaucene side.

I've got mixed memories of it. I'd gone with 2 friends to ride the Cingles, but I got stomach cramps overnight that continued to affect me the next day. I set out to see what I could do and completed the Malaucene climb and the descent to Bedoin. I got about 7kms up the 2nd ascent when I just blew out and couldn't continue.

Even so, I had to go back down to Bedoin and ride home round the side of the mountain, which still take you up to nearly 500m. I was a bit wrecked when I got home.

It looked like there was some good cycling country around Ventoux, so I'm not bothered if I do the Cingles or not, as long as I can get to see more of the area then we managed last time.

Del that’s great news mate!

I think your attitude is spot on too. I think we should all keep an open mind maybe about ventoux. The weather could be crap or maybe we’re just not feeling it. But there’s gonna be loads of nice routes round there even if not any other hills to compare to ventoux.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

So far I have

Adam
Bob
Del
Lee
Bridgy
Rich
Nas
And me

That’s eight. I’m going to email the chalet owners tomorrow to confirm we want the place. That doesn’t shut the door on anyone else joining. I just want to get the dates locked in. Can one if you guys pm Pete, Aleman, and norry? I just mention it coz those guys showed interest in the past. And maybe think of anyone else who isn’t posting at the mo? I need to do the family thing for the next few hours so I need to put the phone down or get flying daggers!

CXRAndy

Guru
Im unlikely Tommy, the heat mid summer in the Alps is probably too much for me. I would prefer May or September, but I fully understand organising an event, it can be like herding cats getting everything just perfect. Good ride to all those who venture. I enjoyed my time at Ventoux

Del C

Veteran
Del that’s great news mate!

I think your attitude is spot on too. I think we should all keep an open mind maybe about ventoux. The weather could be crap or maybe we’re just not feeling it. But there’s gonna be loads of nice routes round there even if not any other hills to compare to ventoux.
Last time I went the Cingles was the sole focus of our trip.

We only had one other full day, so after the stomach cramps and failure to finish the Cingles, it all felt like a bit of an anti-climax.

In fact, the other day was a really good ride and completing the Ventoux ride when I wasn't feeling well was actually quite an achievement.

So I suppose I was really saying I'd rather enjoy more of what the area has to offer, rather than just focussing on one climb like I did last time. But that's just me. No problem if others see things differently.

bobinski

Legendary Member

We only had one other full day, so after the stomach cramps and failure to finish the Cingles, it all felt like a bit of an anti-climax.

In fact, the other day was a really good ride and completing the Ventoux ride when I wasn't feeling well was actually quite an achievement.

So I suppose I was really saying I'd rather enjoy more of what the area has to offer, rather than just focussing on one climb like I did last time. But that's just me. No problem if others see things differently.

I had a similar experience but for different reasons. Once the opportunity passed I couldn’t persuade anyone to join me on a cingles on the remaining days of our trip. So, unfinished business. If the weather holds.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

No I think you’re right to look at the bigger picture. I’m aiming to do the cingles. And I’m hoping being there for 3 days riding, one of those days we get good conditions. But I’m keeping an open mind because I don’t want it to feel like a failed mission if for whatever reason we can’t do it.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Im unlikely Tommy, the heat mid summer in the Alps is probably too much for me. I would prefer May or September, but I fully understand organising an event, it can be like herding cats getting everything just perfect. Good ride to all those who venture. I enjoyed my time at Ventoux

Totally get that Andy

I went back and fourth with this for a while. My thinking in the end was, I want the best possible chance of completing the cingles. I was talking with bridgy about it a few weeks back and we were thinking maybe late May. But then I discovered one side of ventoux isn’t open until mid May because of the conditions. So if they have a long winter, and or the roads aren’t cleared in time, suddenly late May is a problem for the cingles. Then we looked at June. But firstly Paul pointed out we have Cambridge in June. And then the b&b was already booked the rest of June so... September is very appealing to me weather wise. But I’m having real problems finding time esrly September these days because of my youngest starting school as then her birthday mid September.

It could be very hot in July. But then ventoux weather is so changeable it could be cold and wet at the top. Honestly I think you should come on the premise that there’s a good chance it won’t be unbearable heat. But then I’d feel guilty if it was stupid hot and I’d talked you into coming. You can always think about it and change your mind later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

@Breedon has just signed up so we are now 9!

Del C

Veteran
No I think you’re right to look at the bigger picture. I’m aiming to do the cingles. And I’m hoping being there for 3 days riding, one of those days we get good conditions. But I’m keeping an open mind because I don’t want it to feel like a failed mission if for whatever reason we can’t do it.
If I'm honest, I'll probably go for it again if the weather looks good and I feel good!

Just a bit wary after the last time.

Only one of us completed it last time. He started his last descent around 7.00, descending into increasing gloom and got to the bottom so cold that I had to text his wife to say he'd finished it, as he was shivering too much to type into his phone. Strangely, he wasn't shivering too much to hold his beer! :laugh:

bobinski

Legendary Member

Andy,
It wasn’t that hot when we went in July. In fact it was cold and misty and wet at the top! The weather for the rest of the trip was good but nothing like as hot as in other trips. Take a punt and join us.

After all the positive comments I’m receiving about my glowing character reference for Tommy, I’m starting to wonder if I maybe over egged it. I would hate to be responsible for the abject disappointment that might result from anyone meeting him for the first time on this trip.
And as for you Lee, and your kind offer of unlimited tea and other diuretic beverages for Andy....I’ll be bringing my caravan.
As a reference for TT I can honestly say I’ve never actually seen him take money out of a tip jar at a coffee shop.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I'm looking at logistics - would need a live in carer whilst I'm away and struggling to find one. Assume I'm a no for now but if we can find help then I may turn to a yes - if too late by then, that's my bad!

It’d be great if you could join us Carl. Obviously it’s impossible for you to commit now. But there’s no deadline. Even if the accommodation we’re booking fills up I’ve found other places in the same area that people can look at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom