Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
My nephews new to him bike.

After a few months of trawling around trying to find the right bike this popped up on Ebay. Well used but in near perfect condition with a few upgrades.

He may be doing the ToC in my stead :thumbsup::cry::thumbsup::cry::thumbsup:

theboxers

Quick question for the West London residents on here. Where is there a good reasonably priced bike mechanic around Ealing?

The CAADX has cable operated disc brakes. I have a set of Ultegra hydraulic brakes on 11 spd mechanical shifters and an Ultegra 11spd rear deraileur that I could put on it as a cheapish upgrade, I know the rear wheel will need to be an 11 spd.

I just need a chat with someone to check it is possible and at a reasonable cost. Some of the work I could do myself but I don't have the tools to make the hydraulic lines.

CXRAndy

Guru
Quick question for the West London residents on here. Where is there a good reasonably priced bike mechanic around Ealing?

The CAADX has cable operated disc brakes. I have a set of Ultegra hydraulic brakes on 11 spd mechanical shifters and an Ultegra 11spd rear deraileur that I could put on it as a cheapish upgrade, I know the rear wheel will need to be an 11 spd.

I just need a chat with someone to check it is possible and at a reasonable cost. Some of the work I could do myself but I don't have the tools to make the hydraulic lines.

Some hubs are 10/11 speed compatible.

Shimano hydraulic is oil based not Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid

Its quite straightforward to cut line with sharp craft knife. The bits and bobs to bleed and shim pads are only worth it if you have a few bikes. Once hydraulic is setup, there is little maintenance and hardly ever need to bleed system

It is worth it for the superior braking performance. I did it to my Genesis SS bike, from cable to Di2 hydraulic shifters(I like the shape). The difference in braking is night and day.

Im now having a Alfine 11 Di2 wheel (36 spoke) touring wheel made up. To convert the bike into a tourer. The bike is all panniers and dynamo lights. Ive calculated I can run a 32t chainring to give very low climbing gear and a 22 mph top speed at 90rpm

Last edited:

theboxers

Some hubs are 10/11 speed compatible.

Shimano hydraulic is oil based not Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid

Its quite straightforward to cut line with sharp craft knife. The bits and bobs to bleed and shim pads are only worth it if you have a few bikes. Once hydraulic is setup, there is little maintenance and hardly ever need to bleed system

It is worth it for the superior braking performance. I did it to my Genesis SS bike, from cable to Di2 hydraulic shifters(I like the shape). The difference in braking is night and day.

Im now having a Alfine 11 Di2 wheel (36 spoke) touring wheel made up. To convert the bike into a tourer. The bike is all panniers and dynamo lights. Ive calculated I can run a 32t chainring to give very low climbing gear and a 22 mph top speed at 90rpm
It's a Formula DC-1422 hub afaik. I can't find anything on the web in a quick search to say if it is 10 only or 10/11.

The bike is in W London and I'm not :sad:. I may see it on Saturday, if the weather holds, but after the messages I've just had from brother #3 I may be better off staying in doors.

His wife and daughter #1 are symptomatic for covid19, according to 111, and must self isolate for 7 days to prevent the potential spread of the illness. Daughters #1 and #2 both go to the Croydon school with a confirmed case of the virus 😷🤮 😲

I was at their home Monday, Wednesday and Yesterday (when SIL and daughter #1 were not well) now I'm thinking I don't want to chance spreading anything I may have picked up :sad:

It's a Formula DC-1422 hub afaik. I can't find anything on the web in a quick search to say if it is 10 only or 10/11.

The bike is in W London and I'm not :sad:. I may see it on Saturday, if the weather holds, but after the messages I've just had from brother #3 I may be better off staying in doors.

His wife and daughter #1 are symptomatic for covid19, according to 111, and must self isolate for 7 days to prevent the potential spread of the illness. Daughters #1 and #2 both go to the Croydon school with a confirmed case of the virus 😷🤮 😲

I was at their home Monday, Wednesday and Yesterday (when SIL and daughter #1 were not well) now I'm thinking I don't want to chance spreading anything I may have picked up :sad:
Not good. Because the goal is to flatten the curve it’s better to be cautious.

CXRAndy

Guru

Ive been off since last Tuesday, just really tired. Cant confirm whether or not ive been CV'd. Feeling much better in the last 2 days. Ive kept away from others apart from family

theboxers

Ive been off since last Tuesday, just really tired. Cant confirm whether or not ive been CV'd. Feeling much better in the last 2 days. Ive kept away from others apart from family
All the best in your recovery

Well CV, or no CV, I had to go to the Hospital for my scan today, again, I've been waiting for it since last july :dry: (the amount of people walking round with masks of various descriptions on was almost comical). Apparently it was a much better image so hopefully some progress.

Although after last weeks 'not feeling a thing' whilst they put the needle in for the contrast material, this weeks needle was like a rusty redhot poker :stop:

I'll probably stay at home and veg out for the weekend :angel:

All the best in your recovery

Well CV, or no CV, I had to go to the Hospital for my scan today, again, I've been waiting for it since last july :dry: (the amount of people walking round with masks of various descriptions on was almost comical). Apparently it was a much better image so hopefully some progress.

Although after last weeks 'not feeling a thing' whilst they put the needle in for the contrast material, this weeks needle was like a rusty redhot poker :stop:

I'll probably stay at home and veg out for the weekend :angel:
Hoping it's a good result from your test. Hopefully you studied for it.

BurningLegs

Veteran
2018 CAADX Tiagra.
I have the same bike, but a different year. Mine is lime green - I think that’s 2016? Can’t remember!

I just love their versatility of it. I take it on XC MTB trails a few times a year but it spends most of its life on a turbo with some road rides (including loaded with panniers) thrown in.

There is very little it can’t do! The price you pay for the versatility is the wheels (they’re robust so heavy) - if it’ll only be used on the road and you’re looking to do an 11spd upgrade then new road wheels would be a good way forward I think.

Top Bottom