Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Who's lives up north? We could have a splinter splinter meet up :laugh:

As myself and @Ketty only live a few miles apart we could arrange something if any northern CCers were game?
Im a northerner by burth:biggrin:

I'm Midway, so let the battle begin :whistle:

I was signed up and ready to head to Yorkshire for their tour this year until reality hit. But I’d still be up for a northern ride at some point. I have family in Leeds and Manchester. Just a little harder to pre judge the weather up there :rain:

bridgy

Legendary Member
We have a flat in central London that Adam and kipster stayed in on our way to the alps a couple of years back. Unfortunately it’s let it out at the moment, but generally we keep it empty for when friends or family come to town. I’m thinking if you fancied a crack at ride London or if we had another meet up next year down south we could work something out.
Wow, that's a really kind off Tommy thanks - I'll be keen to take you up on that offer next time if it's still an option. Ride London would be a great thing to do together some time - I guess it remains to be seen exactly what format it will take next year though?

CXRAndy

Guru
We have a flat in central London that Adam and kipster stayed in on our way to the alps a couple of years back. Unfortunately it’s let it out at the moment, but generally we keep it empty for when friends or family come to town. I’m thinking if you fancied a crack at ride London or if we had another meet up next year down south we could work something out.

Just in case the Cyclechatters arrive in mass, how many beds?

No need to lose rent Tommy, Im sure tenants wont mind putting up with a group of ageing push-bikers and bikes, kit, helmets, endlessly waffling on how they dropped the others :biggrin:

Joffey

Big Dosser
I was signed up and ready to head to Yorkshire for their tour this year until reality hit. But I’d still be up for a northern ride at some point. I have family in Leeds and Manchester. Just a little harder to pre judge the weather up there :rain:

Once the London meet up has been concluded lets maybe think about on up t'north. Thankfully we have lots of excellent pubs if it's raining too :laugh:

I'm hoping the TdY returns next year but my gut feeling is it won't. Hopefully I am wrong.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Once the London meet up has been concluded lets maybe think about on up t'north. Thankfully we have lots of excellent pubs if it's raining too :laugh:

I'm hoping the TdY returns next year but my gut feeling is it won't. Hopefully I am wrong.

That would be a shame about the tdy. What makes you think that Joffey?

Definitely always up for rides though! Next year we could maybe plan something multi day in the uk?

Joffey

Big Dosser
That would be a shame about the tdy. What makes you think that Joffey?

Definitely always up for rides though! Next year we could maybe plan something multi day in the uk?

Sounds good!

Welcome to Yorkshire had a big funding issue, they had to pay back a £500,000 loan this year but I have just discovered that due to The Rona they have been given an extension until Nov 21 as they hope W2Y can help with the economic recovery. If they hadn't got the extension the company was likely to fold leaving the race organisation in doubt.

But despite the funding problems it was Verity and Prudhomme's bromance that kept the race coming back each year. Now that Verity is no longer involved we all feared it would be the end - coupled with ASO having to focus on The Tour and it's other races post virus there might not be enough in the pot for us.

I hope I'm wrong but even through my blue n yellow tinted glasses I'm struggling to see that it will continue much longer :sad:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Well that sucks eh...

It does sound like they need a cash injection from somewhere doesn’t it. It’d be a shame if it folded from a selfish perspective I was really looking forward to it. I have an uncle up in Headingley who I was really looking forward to doing the ride with. fingers crossed I guess! Did you ever think about doing the Fred whiton challenge Joffey?

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Who's lives up north? We could have a splinter splinter meet up :laugh:

As myself and @Ketty only live a few miles apart we could arrange something if any northern CCers were game?
I think I’m classed as up north, but unfortunately the stretch of sea In between makes It difficult to make meet ups 😀😢. We have talked about a visit back to Yorkshire as a holiday next year if air travel remains an issue. We used to live in Barnsley and Uddersfield for 4 years back in the late 1990’s and then has 2 years in Luton/ Hemel Hempstead. Fonder memories of the north though 😝

I think I’m classed as up north, but unfortunately the stretch of sea In between makes It difficult to make meet ups 😀😢. We have talked about a visit back to Yorkshire as a holiday next year if air travel remains an issue. We used to live in Barnsley and Uddersfield for 4 years back in the late 1990’s and then has 2 years in Luton/ Hemel Hempstead. Fonder memories of the north though 😝

Ferry to Cairnryan - several hours- ride to Yorkshire - for you about 2 1/2 hours.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Well that sucks eh...

It does sound like they need a cash injection from somewhere doesn’t it. It’d be a shame if it folded from a selfish perspective I was really looking forward to it. I have an uncle up in Headingley who I was really looking forward to doing the ride with. fingers crossed I guess! Did you ever think about doing the Fred whiton challenge Joffey?

I thought about it, then thought better of it ^_^ I'd love to do it but not sure that at my current weight I could deal with all that climbing. I'm getting a bit fitter and losing some weight so maybe once the virus has done one I'll take the plunge!

Have you ever done it?

CXRAndy

Guru
I thought about it, then thought better of it ^_^ I'd love to do it but not sure that at my current weight I could deal with all that climbing. I'm getting a bit fitter and losing some weight so maybe once the virus has done one I'll take the plunge!

Have you ever done it?

Bob has got a ticket gathering dust in his drawer. I tried a couple of times like applying for the Pru. I didnt get it in, so :sad:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Have you ever done it?

😄 I know what you mean...

A few of us have done something similar (ish) in Wales. Slightly longer but with slightly less climbing I think. So I think I’d kind of be ok, a couple of days after the event!
I think I would like to do it (as I write this but that might change). It would be nice to get a group into it as it makes it all a bit more bearable, but I think the selection is all a bit random. Maybe we could just pick our our own route (with slightly less climbing!)

bobinski

Legendary Member
Bob has got a ticket gathering dust in his drawer. I tried a couple of times like applying for the Pru. I didnt get it in, so :sad:

I have. I gave them medical evidence as to why I needed to defer and they wouldn’t let me. Very disappointing. I then asked if I could have priority access for the following year, paying full price and they never replied.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I have. I gave them medical evidence as to why I needed to defer and they wouldn’t let me. Very disappointing. I then asked if I could have priority access for the following year, paying full price and they never replied.

Obvious jokes about your reputation preceding you aside....

I’m really surprised by that. I thought you could defer without giving justification. Was that for this years event or last years I can’t remember

kipster

Guru
I know a few people who have done it, one solidly built club mate, who is a big audaxer so used to doing 300km-500km rides. He walked up hardknott. A couple of other club mates did it a couple of years ago, said it was the hardest ride they'd done and one of them did the longer Wales dragon ride earlier the same year. Two of the above are currently doing 5 days from Basingstoke to Lands End and back.

Top Bottom