Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Obvious jokes about your reputation preceding you aside....

I’m really surprised by that. I thought you could defer without giving justification. Was that for this years event or last years I can’t remember

Pfft!

last years. I probably missed a cut off point but was waiting for a meeting with my knee surgeon to get a yay or nay. I don’t recall a problem rearranging ToC.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Sounds like missing the cut off might of been the deal breaker. Bit annoying....

BurningLegs

Veteran
A Somerset jaunt would be good @bridgy - my in laws are in Langport so would offer me some escape!

Is there a route planned for the Surrey hills?? I’d like to make it but don’t have a pass yet, and also think it might be a bit much for me (I seem to remember it being 100miles?) - so might see if there is an opportunity to cut the route slightly and consider it on the way round (my longest ride was the IoW - about 70 miles in a day).

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

A Somerset jaunt would be good @bridgy - my in laws are in Langport so would offer me some escape!

Is there a route planned for the Surrey hills?? I’d like to make it but don’t have a pass yet, and also think it might be a bit much for me (I seem to remember it being 100miles?) - so might see if there is an opportunity to cut the route slightly and consider it on the way round (my longest ride was the IoW - about 70 miles in a day).

I think from memory the route was about 70 miles but quite hilly? @Del C?

It won’t be break neck speed if that reassures you. We have to go slow enough so the insults don’t get lost in the wind! And there’s still a few weeks until the ride so plenty of time to buy yourself a pair of socks 😄👍

Del C

Veteran
I think from memory the route was about 70 miles but quite hilly? @Del C?

It won’t be break neck speed if that reassures you. We have to go slow enough so the insults don’t get lost in the wind! And there’s still a few weeks until the ride so plenty of time to buy yourself a pair of socks 😄👍
Here's what I posted on the private conversation that kicked off before moving to the Meet Up thread.

It's 115 kms and 2300m of climbing and its a tough ride. Starts and ends at Shere, where there is car parking near the village centre. Shere is about a 10 mile drive from junction 9 of the M25, exit for Leatherhead and Dorking.

It's ok. I've ridden it 3 times I think, but not for a few years now. It takes in two steep climbs up to Ranmore Common, Box Hill, twice up Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Pitch Hill, St Martha's Hill and Barhatch Lane/Winterfold Hill (an absolute pig to finish on).

Box Hill, Peaslake and Shere have cafes or shops. There are some pubs on the route.

Or, we could make something up that could be a bit more relaxed and social?

Tourofthehills map – Google My Maps.jpg

Del C

Veteran
Since then we've discussed moving the start point to Box Hill and more recently Ranmore Common, so that @Norry1 can have an early crack at Box Hill.

Box and Ranmore are opposite side of the valley between Leatherhead and Dorking that the A24 runs along, joining the M25 at junction 9, so probably the easiest access for anyone driving to the start.

I'm thinking of checking out the parking on Ranmore. There are a couple of car parks (one National Trust pay and the other is a free car park). No facilities there, but anyone busting for the loo has an extra incentive to get to the foot of Ranmore or the top of Box as quickly as possible!

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Here's what I posted on the private conversation that kicked off before moving to the Meet Up thread.

It's 115 kms and 2300m of climbing and its a tough ride. Starts and ends at Shere, where there is car parking near the village centre. Shere is about a 10 mile drive from junction 9 of the M25, exit for Leatherhead and Dorking.

It's ok. I've ridden it 3 times I think, but not for a few years now. It takes in two steep climbs up to Ranmore Common, Box Hill, twice up Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Pitch Hill, St Martha's Hill and Barhatch Lane/Winterfold Hill (an absolute pig to finish on).

Box Hill, Peaslake and Shere have cafes or shops. There are some pubs on the route.

Or, we could make something up that could be a bit more relaxed and social?

View attachment 541075

Cheers Del much appreciated mate. I can drive over but I’d rather take a train. And Bob doesn’t drive. Could we create a map that starts near a station?

bobinski

Legendary Member
Cheers Del much appreciated mate. I can drive over but I’d rather take a train. And Bob doesn’t drive. Could we create a map that starts near a station?

box and humble?

BurningLegs

Veteran
@bridgy - a “West Country wander” or “Somerset saunter” would be right up my street. My in-laws live in Langport so have a good base in the region 😉

There is an organised ride called the tour of Wessex that starts in their village - a three day event with a different route every day, all start/finish in the village of Langport. I looked up the route last year - I think each day was over 100 miles!

bridgy

Legendary Member
Guys I'm really tempted to try and join you for the Surrey ride despite the travelling distance. I'm not sure if I will/can but if at all possible I will - so @<Tommy> can you keep me updated with timings etc please?

As for a Somerset meetup that would be great. I live in Cheddar which is a good base for some good cycling as we have the Somerset Levels to the south (for the hill-dodgers!), and the Mendips to the north with some good climbs and descents and views. And also the coast is close by too so some sea views can be included! I'll be happy to create a couple of nice rides - maybe one on the levels and one up the Mendips - if people can make it over for a day or a weekend

Norry1

Legendary Member
Guys I'm really tempted to try and join you for the Surrey ride despite the travelling distance. I'm not sure if I will/can but if at all possible I will - so @<Tommy> can you keep me updated with timings etc please?

As for a Somerset meetup that would be great. I live in Cheddar which is a good base for some good cycling as we have the Somerset Levels to the south (for the hill-dodgers!), and the Mendips to the north with some good climbs and descents and views. And also the coast is close by too so some sea views can be included! I'll be happy to create a couple of nice rides - maybe one on the levels and one up the Mendips - if people can make it over for a day or a weekend

Count me in subject to date etc. :okay:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

That would be some pilgrimage! How long would it take you to drive down do you think?

Top Bottom