Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Morning all!

Just got round to creating the gpx file for the Tour of the Surrey Hills.

I've attached it to this post. In case it doesn't work for some reason, you can also download it via this link:

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3359890732

Nearly 116kms and 2300m of climbing. I felt tired just mapping it out!

GPX viewer

Del I’ve just seen this sorry mate. Thanks lots for taking the time to do that

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

1598031495496.gif

BurningLegs

Veteran
Well, I’ve got a pass for Sunday so crossing my fingers for the weather. If it looks like poor weather I will probably skip it - should have a better idea in a few days hey 🙂

Won’t be racing tomorrow due to illness, but I will try to think of that as a taper:okay:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Well, I’ve got a pass for Sunday so crossing my fingers for the weather. If it looks like poor weather I will probably skip it - should have a better idea in a few days hey 🙂

Won’t be racing tomorrow due to illness, but I will try to think of that as a taper:okay:

Nice 1 👍. If the weather’s crappy I’ll definitely give it a miss. Life’s too short... but fingers crossed!

Del C

Veteran
Del is there a cafe stop along the way that you can think of?
There's a cafe at the start for anyone arriving hungry!

After that, there's a good cafe at Shere, but that's about it on the route itself.

I'd certainly recommend bringing a couple of energy bars and gels. If anyone is feeling low, there are shops just off the route in Ockley, Abinger and Peaslake.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

There's a cafe at the start for anyone arriving hungry!

After that, there's a good cafe at Shere, but that's about it on the route itself.

I'd certainly recommend bringing a couple of energy bars and gels. If anyone is feeling low, there are shops just off the route in Ockley, Abinger and Peaslake.

To be honest its not so much the refuelling as the chance to sit down somewhere have a slice of cake or whatever and make it a bit of a social thing. No big deal though mate

Del C

Veteran
To be honest its not so much the refuelling as the chance to sit down somewhere have a slice of cake or whatever and make it a bit of a social thing. No big deal though mate
The Shere cafe is a good one

Del C

Veteran
Looking at the route the Shere cafe really is the obvious place to stop.

The route is 116km in total. We pass through Shere at 50km and then very close to it at 66kms, after we've done a 16km loop over Holmbury Hill and back via Pitch Hill.

Assuming a 9.45 start and a 15mph/24kmph average (it's hilly), then we'll pass through Shere the first time between 11.45 and 12.00 and the second time (with a slight detour) around 12.45 to 13.00. There are also shops in Shere and at Peaslake on the HolmburyHill/Pitch Hill loop, so we could aim to be at Shere for a cafe stop between 12.45 and 13.00, but with the option of picking up a snack or drinks at one of the shops in Peaslake or Shere before then, if we need them.

If we took the longer option and stopped at 66kms, then that leave just 50kms to complete the ride when we leave the cafe. That leaves 4 main climbs in the last 50kms, Farley Green, Barhatch Lane, Coombe Bottom and Crocknorth Lane. We also pass back through Shere at 98kms which gives us another chance to pick up refreshments.

How does that sound?

Norry1

Legendary Member
Looking at the route the Shere cafe really is the obvious place to stop.

The route is 116km in total. We pass through Shere at 50km and then very close to it at 66kms, after we've done a 16km loop over Holmbury Hill and back via Pitch Hill.

Assuming a 9.45 start and a 15mph/24kmph average (it's hilly), then we'll pass through Shere the first time between 11.45 and 12.00 and the second time (with a slight detour) around 12.45 to 13.00. There are also shops in Shere and at Peaslake on the HolmburyHill/Pitch Hill loop, so we could aim to be at Shere for a cafe stop between 12.45 and 13.00, but with the option of picking up a snack or drinks at one of the shops in Peaslake or Shere before then, if we need them.

If we took the longer option and stopped at 66kms, then that leave just 50kms to complete the ride when we leave the cafe. That leaves 4 main climbs in the last 50kms, Farley Green, Barhatch Lane, Coombe Bottom and Crocknorth Lane. We also pass back through Shere at 98kms which gives us another chance to pick up refreshments.

How does that sound?

Sounds good to me :okay:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
COVID-19 UPDATE from Spinney Brook Medical Centre - Due to a marked increase in COVID-19 in Northamptonshire, Public Health England and Northamptonshire County Council have issued new guidance for Northampton, Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby which introduces measures which are beyond those for the country as a whole. Please click the following link for guidance https://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/councilservices/health/Pages/coronavirus-advice.aspx
I am guessing this means that I am screwed for the meet up

COVID-19 UPDATE from Spinney Brook Medical Centre - Due to a marked increase in COVID-19 in Northamptonshire, Public Health England and Northamptonshire County Council have issued new guidance for Northampton, Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby which introduces measures which are beyond those for the country as a whole. Please click the following link for guidance https://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/councilservices/health/Pages/coronavirus-advice.aspx
Or stay on vacation.

Del C

Veteran
Wear a mask......... or don't wear a mask.............. or drive to Barnard Castle.............. or just make up anything you feel like. Works for some people!

Top Bottom