Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Del C

Veteran
Just thinking about meeting up on Sunday.

Do we need to swap mobile numbers or set up a WhatsApp group in case anyone is delayed, or lost or don't recognise each other because of unreliable Internet/Message Board photos? :rolleyes:

My proposal was to meet at Ryka's car park, just off the A24 at the base of Box Hill. You can park inside or outside on the road. The cafe has an area in front of it which is a natural meeting point with toilets nearby as well, so I'd suggest we aim for that.

I think we agreed to aim for a 9.45 departure, so I'd aim to be there anytime after 9.30.

Thoughts?

BurningLegs

Veteran
I think a WhatsApp group makes sense. Location sharing on there can make meeting up after any split or navigational issues simple too 🙂

Let's not put any phone numbers in this thread though!!

Does anyone who might already have a few numbers for people in the group (@<Tommy> maybe?) want to volunteer to create a group then we can PM numbers to be added?

bobinski

Legendary Member
Sorry boys but I am going to bail. Back is not easing and unless there’s a sudden improvement I would t risk a long ride. Best to bail now than bail at last minute. Enjoy- it looks like Sunday is going to be the best weather day.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Sorry boys but I am going to bail. Back is not easing and unless there’s a sudden improvement I would t risk a long ride. Best to bail now than bail at last minute. Enjoy- it looks like Sunday is going to be the best weather day.

Shame - dropping like flies

I'm still good for Sunday and weather looks spot on :okay:

Del C

Veteran
I thought you might be in trouble as I couldn't see you riding in the TTT last night.

Shame that you can't make it. We've lost you, @berty bassett and @kipster now but no point in taking risks with health or injuries.

I think we're down to 4 now? @<Tommy> @Norry1 and @BurningLegs and me?

Del C

Veteran
I think a WhatsApp group makes sense. Location sharing on there can make meeting up after any split or navigational issues simple too 🙂

Let's not put any phone numbers in this thread though!!

Does anyone who might already have a few numbers for people in the group (@<Tommy> maybe?) want to volunteer to create a group then we can PM numbers to be added?
Makes sense

BurningLegs

Veteran
I thought you might be in trouble as I couldn't see you riding in the TTT last night.

Shame that you can't make it. We've lost you, @berty bassett and @kipster now but no point in taking risks with health or injuries.

I think we're down to 4 now? @<Tommy> @Norry1 and @BurningLegs and me?
I am planning to get on the turbo this evening to see if I've recovered from a cold. Assuming I have then I'm in 🙂

Don't feel 100% but improving quickly so as long as the legs are okay tonight then Sunday should be fine.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

1598688854074.gif

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Whether doesn’t look to bad at all to be fair 🤞. It might be a long sleeve jersey for me and I guess it might be a bit slippery in places. But hopefully the rain holds off!

Norry1

Legendary Member
Yesterday was a mass ride of all the Cyclechat Turbo riders. Well that was the plan but at 9.30 a.m. @Del C rolled in to the car park of Ryka’s café to join me and Tommy to form the depleted group of riders.

We had our cups of tea and coffee and then set off. I had said I wanted to have a proper go at Box Hill to see what time I could set. Unfortunately, Box Hill started about 300 yards from Ryka’s so we were far from warmed up. I jumped to the front and set a pace but fairly quickly Tommy came past and set the pace the rest of the way up and I sat in his wheel.

It wasn’t very obvious where the segment ended so we kind of wound it down slowly. The segment hadn’t come up on my Garmin so it wasn’t until I got home that I could see the results. I’d managed a 7:09 which puts me second in my local club leaderboard. More importantly it seems I lead the Cyclechat Leaderboard as well. Tommy’s time doesn’t seem to show for some reason, so I’m not sure how that will pan out. In any event I’m sure one (or more) of you guys will go get the title soon 😊

The task completed, we settled into the ride which unsurprisingly was pretty lumpy as you can see from the profile below. The weather was kind to us staying dry all day. It wasn’t over warm but I took my arm warmers off after a couple of hours. I think Tommy had gone through hours of mental torment deciding between a long sleeve jersey or arm warmers. He chose the jersey in case you wondered.

1598859168344.png

We stopped for lunch at a pleasant cafe in Shere after 36 hilly miles, having done 5 significant climbs including Coldharbour Lane, Leith Hill and White Down. (That made 4 of Simon Warren's 100 Greatest Climbs if anyone follows these). Lunch was good and we had a good old chit chat.

I rarely stop when I ride on my own so the post-lunch aching legs was a bit of a shock - but it soon wore off as we ascended yet another hill. After around another 15 miles Del shouted "take the next right" and we turned into a rather agricultural looking lane. It ramped up and the surface slowly deteriorated. It then got worse, and steeper, and worse until I hit a point where I looked ahead and thought there is no way I can get up that without the tyres on my SystemSix (not really a MTB or CX bike) sliding out and I'd crash. I got off and turned around to see Tommy and Del doing the same. After a discussion we decided to carry on up rather than attempt the descent. It was a slow trudge to the top and Del was worried we were going to send him the bill for our new cleats :smile: The pic doesn't do it justice, it was very rough and very steep.

1598862675496.png

We reached the top and it was in completely the wrong place to get back to the planned route. I think it was at the top of Newlands Common.

1598862854670.png

We agreed to miss a portion of the route out and headed off laughing at our unplanned detour and of course headed off for another steep hill.

Fairly soon our foreshortened ride arrived back at Ryka's and we agreed we'd had a great ride and we didn't need to tack on any more miles. We had a last cuppa and reminisced over our various overseas mountain climb trips and all realised how much we missed them this year.

It was a good day all round, nice to meet Del and re-meet Tommy. Hopefully we'll do another one soon and get a few more of us together :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom