Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
So long as you bring a tow rope I don’t think anyone will complain :tongue:
You're on :okay:. Just need an mot/insurance/hotel or campsite. Oh and money to pay for all of the above :unsure:.

CXRAndy

Guru
Randy if you're heading North from Peterborough, then you will be heading towards Hull, over the Humber River. The wolds in North Lincolnshire. Then up into Yorkshire, from there you could either go further north or north west to take in Cumbria. Scotland border not so far then. Lee has done a fair bit of touring, goldwolfie too I believe.

Once your near the east coast you could latch onto the London Edinburgh audax route - not bad and misses most the hills out
Have you done that ride? It looks like it takes place every 4 years. with the miles you put in maybe a 2 day ride for the 1400 km.
I was thinking of North on the east coast and South down the west coast or lake district / Dales.

Randy if you're heading North from Peterborough, then you will be heading towards Hull, over the Humber River. The wolds in North Lincolnshire. Then up into Yorkshire, from there you could either go further north or north west to take in Cumbria. Scotland border not so far then. Lee has done a fair bit of touring, goldwolfie too I believe.
I don't think we should mention Hull and Berty in the same post. I think that's where he got run over.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Have you done that ride? It looks like it takes place every 4 years. with the miles you put in maybe a 2 day ride for the 1400 km.
I was thinking of North on the east coast and South down the west coast or lake district / Dales.
i've done a bit of it -went from my house at a sort of north east direction , bumped into the l-e route , stayed on it to edingburgh then carried on to the top - from what i remember it wasnt a bad route
if you are coming down the west side of scotland - the further north you are the hillier it is , as you come down it is well worth ( in my humble opinion ) to hop onto Arran then hop off the other side as the scenery is amazing ( its another place i fell off just looking around instead of the road !) and you miss glasgow
i am sure our Scottish members will steer you right
only other thing i can say is it would be well worth taking some time planning a route round the Manchester area - i didn't and i hated going through warrington - there must be a quieter route

berty bassett

Legendary Member
It was Bardney(i think) near Lincoln. Its out in the countryside, just unlucky to meet SMIDSY driver. More lucky to be alive!
mg4Cr.gif
just a flesh wound :laugh:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
i've done a bit of it -went from my house at a sort of north east direction , bumped into the l-e route , stayed on it to edingburgh then carried on to the top - from what i remember it wasnt a bad route
if you are coming down the west side of scotland - the further north you are the hillier it is , as you come down it is well worth ( in my humble opinion ) to hop onto Arran then hop off the other side as the scenery is amazing ( its another place i fell off just looking around instead of the road !) and you miss glasgow
i am sure our Scottish members will steer you right
only other thing i can say is it would be well worth taking some time planning a route round the Manchester area - i didn't and i hated going through warrington - there must be a quieter route

I agree with both route recommendations however the Warrington/Manchester diversion isn’t that easy without coming ‘back in land’ and hitting hills - it is however a lovely part of the world heading down through east Lancashire and Derbyshire. Coming down the West of Scotland, head for Oban then take the ferry’s through the western isles, down Kintyre over to Arran, then down through Ayrshire/Dumfries - Lovely.. I’m heading the other way this summer on a short loop tour from home.

Summer’s coming... :sun::bicycle::hyper::hyper:

CXRAndy

Guru
We're doing Newhaven Dieppe and the route I've been plotting to Paris is largely on the Avenue Verte.

I'm having more difficulty plotting a good route from London-Newhaven. The ride is with a dozen or so people from work, many of whom are new/inexperienced cyclists so I'm wanting to make it as much on cycle paths and quiet roads as possible. My current thinking is to start from Greenwich rather than central London (although Tower bridge to Greenwich would be mainly along a cycle superhighway so I could add that) which makes for a more pleasurable route.

Do you know/have experience of London to Newhaven? Recommendations?

Yes, we started at Tower bridge. I'll dig out the route for you if you want. We went over the Ditchling Beacon down into Brighton and along the coast to Newhaven.

Here you go https://www.strava.com/activities/1159842738

You can see we made an error just outside Brighton and could of taken a more direct route into Brighton. You can alter the route to suit you. The route right along the front of the cliff is nice(except we have terrible rain from Brighton to Newhaven)
The route finishes a few yards from the ferry entrance.

Are you staying overnight in Newhaven before catching ferry? You will know there are only a few crossing per day . The afternoon ferry gets you into Dieppe very late. It makes the first day an early start and you must keep the pace up(12mph). I know it doesn't sound alot, but with novices it's plenty.

Once in Dieppe the route Becomes alot more relaxing in pace, there is no time penalty issues with catching ferries

Last edited:
Top Bottom