Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterob

Veteran
Yes, we started at Tower bridge. I'll dig out the route for you if you want. We went over the Ditchling Beacon down into Brighton and along the coast to Newhaven.

Here you go https://www.strava.com/activities/1159842738

You can see we made an error just outside Brighton and could of taken a more direct route into Brighton. You can alter the route to suit you. The route right along the front of the cliff is nice(except we have terrible rain from Brighton to Newhaven)
The route finishes a few yards from the ferry entrance.

Are you staying overnight in Newhaven before catching ferry? You will know there are only a few crossing per day . The afternoon ferry gets you into Dieppe very late. It makes the first day an early start and you must keep the pace up(12mph). I know it doesn't sound alot, but with novices it's plenty.

Once in Dieppe the route Becomes alot more relaxing in pace, there is no time penalty issues with catching ferries

Cheers Andy - I appreciate that :smile:. I'll take a good look at your route.

We're planning on catching the 5:30pm ferry after reaching Newhaven. The first one the next day won't get us into Dieppe until 2pm so need to get the 5:30 one. I'm assuming an average of 12mph which will help dictate the start point/time in London. Two of us will be cycling Chester to London over two days beforehand, so the slower pace to Paris will be welcome ;)

The French side of the route I'm planning looks really quite nice with plenty of off-road cycle paths (mainly along the Avenue Verte) and enters Paris from the West along wooded paths.

CXRAndy

Guru
Good luck Peter. We set off at 8.30 from Tower bridge. With 2 stops we made it to Newhaven with about 45 mins to spare

French side is something quite lovely. deserted roads and endless miles of cycle routes. We had to leave the Avenue Verte to get to stay at our hotels/guest houses, but we rode 30-40 miles on the verte

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
I took an alternative route to Newhaven that supposedly has less traffic and it was good. I can post it if you are interested. Goes around Lewes. Newhaven is a bit of a pit. We timed our arrival for 2 hours before boarding giving time to stock up on some food. There are not many options and we ended up having McDonald’s.

Last edited:

peterob

Veteran
I took an alternative route to Newhaven that supposedly has less traffic and it was good. I can post it if you are interested. Goes around Lewes. Newhaven is a bit of a pit. We timed our arrival for 2 hours before boarding giving time to stock up on some food. There are not many options and we ended up having McDonald’s.

Any suggestions of good routes welcomed thanks @bobinski :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Goldwolfie

Veteran
Any route suggestions? I generally want to head towards Scotland. Distances of between 60 and 100 miles. I saw @Goldwolfie did a Skegness ride last summer.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/journey-planner#
@Randyberlin - Apologies as I've just spotted your post. My email address that was attached to my CC account was
defunct, but now updated, so should pick up alerts from now on. I haven't been monitoring this forum either, but will from now on, as there seems to be a few events being planned that I could be interested in joining.

Sounds like you are in the process of planning an interesting trip around this year's DD - heading North from Peterborough to Scotland. I see Andy mentioned that I may do a bit of touring at times, but what I generally do is say around an 80 mile trip to somewhere for a football match, or to see a friend, stay overnight and cycle home the next day. Two days of those sort of mileages is normally quite enough for me.

Today we are having some of the weather you are probably more used too, so thoughts of outdoor riding is far from my mind, but want to start planning a few trips for when the weather picks up.

Would be really good to catch up with you during your trip, and possible ride a 'few' miles together on your journey North - perhaps we could try a bit of slow speed drafting.

BTW my Skegness trip was a West to East route from my home in Chesterfield, so unlikely to help your planning.

Good luck with the planning, and hopefully you'll get to meet a few of 'Team's on your travels.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Nipper and I watched Kill Command the other day in part about autonomous drones. All very scary! Decent sci fi.

maxap

Whats this about the Pyrenees? I am going end of June, - near Lourdes. Where are you guys going?

Top Bottom