Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Maybe this is Carl’s way of justifying a new bike. Something we can all get on board with! When my missus asked why I needed a new bike. pretty much exactly the same as the last one I bought, I didn’t have anything to give her apart from a goofy smile... Carl if you want a singlespeed then dammit you deserve one!! But maybe on the weekend of the DD it needs a new part that is going to take a while to get delivered. ;)
I'll be planning to get it well in advance of the DD and do some local rides and try the hills around here to see how it goes. If badly then I'll stick with the Boardman, but if it feels no worse that my training for the DD last year I'll go for it. But yes, you're right, this is my excuse to get a new bike. I love riding SS as I hate trying to change gears and work out which one I'm in and losing rhythm. A SS is not fast and I won't be able to keep up with anyone on the DD if they push on but, I can live with that - I'll try to make up time by not stopping too often and too long.

Whorty

if you do decide to do it i should think you would be in the minority on the day :wacko: but i for one would wish you all the luck in the world sir
A minority of 1 i'd think :biggrin: But someone needs to be the trend setter :dance:

bobinski

Legendary Member
I'll spin out on descents, but then I don't pedal on descents anyway and I mostly use the breaks so that shouldn't lose too much time. The ups, well on my old SS I could get up Dulwich College hill, the hills up to Crystal Palace and the hill up the outside of Greenwich Park (Crooms Hill?). none as steep at the Elbow, but then I walked up that anyway last year with a geared bike so how much worse can it be :tongue: On the flatter sections, on a 42/16 gearing, I should be able to cruise nicely at 15-18 mph. I'm much fitter this year compared to last and I completed the 100 miles last year geared so I know I can do it again this year. Challenge therefore is do I try to go faster this year, or try a different challenge? Well, I want a SS so it kind of makes sense to get the bike for the DD and just see how it goes - if it falls apart badly there is a broom wagon that will be nice and warm :biggrin:

Are you frigging mad?!? Much as I might like to see you in a bit of pain:tongue: this really does have to rank near the top of the cycling hall of foolish things that MEN like to do. All those hills you mention I ride too and they are mere bumps to what you would be doing. What is it? You jealous of my knee? Want to feck yours up to?!? Get a bike. Treat yourself to the loveliest of bikes, even a single speed but do yourself a favour man and ride a geared bike on the DD:okay:

Get a 1/11 set up.

Whorty

Everyone needs to stop Carl, its a sportive not race. I stopped at every scheduled place and two others for a minute or two to eat a snack and drink.
I'll stop, just not for the lengths of times I stopped last time. The cafe stop last time I was there for 30+ minutes and had the jacket spud that then killed me for the next hour. I'll stop at the food stops for a banana, drink, boiled spud or whatever is on offer, but it will be a quick stop, do what I need to do, then back on the bike and start cruising again.

Who knows, if I manage the DD this year then maybe it will be the Alps with you guys next year:hugs:

Whorty

Are you frigging mad?!? Much as I might like to see you in a bit of pain:tongue: this really does have to rank near the top of the cycling hall of foolish things that MEN like to do. All those hills you mention I ride too and they are mere bumps to what you would be doing. What is it? You jealous of my knee? Want to feck yours up to?!? Get a bike. Treat yourself to the loveliest of bikes, even a single speed but do yourself a favour man and ride a geared bike on the DD:okay:

Get a 1/11 set up.
I have looked at the bikes with a single front ring and was tempted. Also looked the sturmy archer style gear hub but I really want a SS again and can't justify two new bikes (well, I can but the wife won't!). I'll get the SS and if some local riding proves more difficult than I think it will be I'll take the geared bike.

Riding centuries on SS is not unheard of though so whilst a challenge I'd be far from unique. Many do the London to Brighton on SS each year, although I may be the first to do the DD :wahhey:

And you guys do realise that the more you tell me I'm crazy and not to do it, the more determined I am to do it :giggle:

Gives me an incentive to lose some weight too. See if I can get down to maybe 12.5 stone

bobinski

Legendary Member
Carl,
You, stubborn? :tongue:
I have an unused Alfine 11 hub built up on a decent wheel, 40t Alfine crankset and chain and 11 speed Versa road shifters, front wheel and dynamo hub. All you need is a frame , stem and bars.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have looked at the bikes with a single front ring and was tempted. Also looked the sturmy archer style gear hub but I really want a SS again and can't justify two new bikes (well, I can but the wife won't!). I'll get the SS and if some local riding proves more difficult than I think it will be I'll take the geared bike.

Riding centuries on SS is not unheard of though so whilst a challenge I'd be far from unique. Many do the London to Brighton on SS each year, although I may be the first to do the DD :wahhey:

And you guys do realise that the more you tell me I'm crazy and not to do it, the more determined I am to do it :giggle:

Gives me an incentive to lose some weight too. See if I can get down to maybe 12.5 stone

I rode a fairly quick ton an a fixed bike a couple of years ago. It was in Rutland so was rather hilly. Gave me a rather smug sense of satisfaction

Whorty

am i under thinking this by saying why not use the boardman or a nice new shiny bike with many many gears and just not shift for the day ^_^
Interesting thing is, riding a fixed at say 42/16 feels so different tio say setting the geared bike to 34/13 even though both have the same gear inches. I don't know if it's chain length, or flex in the deraileur or what, but riding the same gear ratio on a SS feels easier/more efficient. Anyone else think the same? Could all just be in my head of course :dry:

CXRAndy

Guru
Carl I had a quick look at the DD last year, the first 13 miles had multiple sections of climbs upto 16%-20% Find a 20% hill and ride up it in the gear ratio for your proposed single speed. I reckon you will nearly kill yourself

Whorty

Carl,
You, stubborn? :tongue:
It has been known, yes :tongue:

I have an unused Alfine 11 hub built up on a decent wheel, 40t Alfine crankset and chain and 11 speed Versa road shifters, front wheel and dynamo hub. All you need is a frame , stem and bars.
I genuinely have no idea what these are. Are these components to help build a SS? I guess not as there is an 11 speed shifter?

CXRAndy

Guru
Interesting thing is, riding a fixed at say 42/16 feels so different tio say setting the geared bike to 34/13 even though both have the same gear inches. I don't know if it's chain length, or flex in the deraileur or what, but riding the same gear ratio on a SS feels easier/more efficient. Anyone else think the same? Could all just be in my head of course :dry:

riding a 42*16 .you get a minimum speed of 6mph at 30rpm cadence. Knee surgery will be coming your way after the DD

Whorty

Carl I had a quick look at the DD last year, the first 13 miles had multiple sections of climbs upto 16%-20% Find a 20% hill and ride up it in the gear ratio for your proposed single speed. I reckon you will nearly kill yourself
The best I have near me is an average 7% over 1.5 km (as opposed to the ave 12% of the staircase over 1.14km). When I get the SS I'll be training on this hill. If nothing else it should help with fitness for the DD even if I do end up taking the geared bike.

Top Bottom