Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
I've not been keeping much of an eye on here as been Majorca for a few days with the club. Home tomorrow, did the usual suspects Sa Calobra and Puig Major (didn't do it last year), and a couple of easier days. Sa Calobra was brutal this year as the wind was blowing hard. Puig Major was easier than expected although i paced it slower than i should've so I'm going to have to come back next year.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I think it's runs with an overlap to your Pyrenees tour Bob. 30 Jun- 7July

That’s a shame.
If you change your mind...

berty bassett

Legendary Member
having never been up a mountain i am a bit worried about gearing - as far as i know , the max i can do is 34 29 although i did hear of a 33 inner ring but that might be myth - do the more seasoned mountain goats think this will be ok ?
if i am pushing the bike up i will be jabbing a stick in the spokes of people coming past :whistle:
usually i am on 38 27 max and dont struggle too much on a normal hill

CXRAndy

Guru
the max i can do is 34 29 although i did hear of a 33 inner ring but that might be myth -

What is the BCD and how many bolt holes Lee? I fitted a 33T inner chainring to my daughter's bike, it was FSA crankset There are loads of inner and outer rings Have a look at tweekscycles, they seem to have plenty

berty bassett

Legendary Member
What is the BCD and how many bolt holes Lee? I fitted a 33T inner chainring to my daughter's bike, it was FSA crankset There are loads of inner and outer rings Have a look at tweekscycles, they seem to have plenty
of the top of my head i think it is 5 bolt 110 or 115 - campag -- made to confuse ^_^
i will have a look at tweeks - cheers

CXRAndy

Guru
usually i am on 38 27 max and dont struggle too much on a normal hill

Bob will know this as others, its as the climb progresses that your cadence might fall too low and an extra gear is needed. If you can spin 70rpm up say 8-10% then you will be OK most likely. Our ride leaders were on 34-32 gearing and were able to maintain a decent cadence, even though they didn't have any more gears and they weigh a lot more than you Lee

bobinski

Legendary Member
of the top of my head i think it is 5 bolt 110 or 115 - campag -- made to confuse ^_^
i will have a look at tweeks - cheers

Forgot you were Campy.

Just to be clear I was not being macho about the 28. I run Ultegra short cage at the mo and would probably need the new Ultegra rear derailleur to go to a 29/30. Experience in the mountains previously suggests 28 should be ok to maintain a 70ish Cadence over 10% and a faster Cadence at anything below. BRVR and Zwift training at 100% over next few months will suggest if that is optimistic.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Forgot you were Campy.

Just to be clear I was not being macho about the 28. I run Ultegra short cage at the mo and would probably need the new Ultegra rear derailleur to go to a 29/30. Experience in the mountains previously suggests 28 should be ok to maintain a 70ish Cadence over 10% and a faster Cadence at anything below. BRVR and Zwift training at 100% over next few months will suggest if that is optimistic.
I've seen video of a ultegra short cage going out to a 32 iirc with a road link.

Sorry I was in error

bobinski

Legendary Member
I've seen video of a ultegra short cage going out to a 32 iirc with a road link.

Sorry I was in error

I have seen others post to say they can get away with a 29 or 30. If I had the parts and inclination I might go with a set up like Andy has. But I have been up Iseran, jou plane and Ventoux on a 34/28. Lee and dean are lighter and stronger so they should be fine. My mates Rak and Neal weigh 90 kilos plus and went up Ventoux on 34/28 last year. As long as a rider is comfortable, if that’s the right word, with a cadence of 70 to 90 depending on slope, at 80% ftp for an hour or more then they will be fine^_^ we will all be suffering but we know that:biggrin:

Paul, who is a strong climber, is doing masses of climbing in Majorca on a compact set up I think so let’s wait for his opinion.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I’m likely going to go with 34 / 30 or 32. I’m getting etap wifli (medium cage). I wouldn’t get wifli if I was only running one etap groupo. But because it’ll be my second, and I can easily switch the rear derailleur between bikes, it’s a complete no brainer.

I’m just weighing up whether I can get away with semi compact chainrings really... spinning at 70rpm is lower than I want. So I need to look at charts that compare gradient>gear ratio>rpm.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if i can find out whether i can fit a 33 inner without issue i will probably fit one - but if it means that the jump between 33-50 is too big so the 50 has to be reduced - leading to the chain being too long so needing either shortening or new chain then i dont think i would bother
if i ride far enough around here i get to hills that are 15-17% and although i stand up and sort of go into a turned off metronome rhythm probably under 70 rpm i very rarely go into 38 27 so 34 29 in the same zombie trance should be easier - fingers crossed
i have been trying to spin more just lately using rollers or smaller gears but hopefully after next week with lighter nights and better weather , things can start proper and we can all dust off the mean machines and do some proper miles

Top Bottom