Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Tommy, that does sound like a no brainer. The jump between gears as you reach for your bail out can often be too big. 28 through to 30 is not too bad but if it was 28 to 32 that would be quite a jolt. I prefer to spin at least 80 but fortunately those times when I could not were rare.

Last edited:

Breedon

Legendary Member
You guys taking compact cranksets to France?
Yeah of course with a rear 32

bobinski

Legendary Member
Cotty takes a trip up the Iseran this week. I rode it from bourg st Maurice but he Ian right about the road to val D’isere. This the one where I saw a woman riding up the summit pulling a child buggy with a young kid in the back ^_^ That put in perspective what the rest of us were doing :biggrin:
http://thecolcollective.com/

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Weight upto 85kg, incline constant 7-8% the riders I saw we're using 34crank 32t cass spinning ~80rpm . We would ride maybe 10mins spinning, drop down 4 cogs, stand up and ride 30secs low cadence to stretch, quickly followed by shifting back up the Cass to regain spin sitting down. Repeat for 1-2 hours for mountain climb

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Weight upto 85kg, incline constant 7-8% the riders I saw we're using 34crank 32t cass spinning ~80rpm . We would ride maybe 10mins spinning, drop down 4 cogs, stand up and ride 30secs low cadence to stretch, quickly followed by shifting back up the Cass to regain spin sitting down. Repeat for 1-2 hours for mountain climb

I hope you took time off from counting the teeth in people’s cassettes and their cadence to enjoy the views! :tongue:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
@Randyberlin @Add @rob01792 @kipster I'm 90% sure I'm going to get a Single Speed bike for the DD this year to make it a bit more challenging. Currently looking at a Genesis 1 10 with disc brakes. Might mean staying together as a group is nigh on impossible so if you leave me grinding up a hill don't worry about that. My aim this year is to take shorter food stops (I stopped at each one far too long last year and this really didn't help, especially when we had that jacket potato xx( ) so I may well see you having your 3 course lunches whilst I nip in for a loo break :hello:

I will almost certainly live to regret this decision, but I'd rather regret something I tried than something I didn't :biggrin:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Whorty you either won’t make it up the steepest hills or spin out completely on the flatter sections so that’ll be a choice you’ll have to make.

That means either walking up the steeper hills or taking 14+ hours to complete to course because you’ll go so slowly around the rest of the course.

If it’s something you want to do then that is a reality you should probably accept.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
@Randyberlin @Add @rob01792 @kipster I'm 90% sure I'm going to get a Single Speed bike for the DD this year to make it a bit more challenging. Currently looking at a Genesis 1 10 with disc brakes. Might mean staying together as a group is nigh on impossible so if you leave me grinding up a hill don't worry about that. My aim this year is to take shorter food stops (I stopped at each one far too long last year and this really didn't help, especially when we had that jacket potato xx( ) so I may well see you having your 3 course lunches whilst I nip in for a loo break :hello:

I will almost certainly live to regret this decision, but I'd rather regret something I tried than something I didn't :biggrin:

:headshake::thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Breedon

Legendary Member

As Mr T once said You Crazy Fool.
I would strongly advise you have a very good think carl even the most fittis amongst us wouldn't be on a single speed or even think about using one.
But it's completely up to you and i wish good luck if you do use a ss

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Maybe this is Carl’s way of justifying a new bike. Something we can all get on board with! When my missus asked why I needed a new bike. pretty much exactly the same as the last one I bought, I didn’t have anything to give her apart from a goofy smile... Carl if you want a singlespeed then dammit you deserve one!! But maybe on the weekend of the DD it needs a new part that is going to take a while to get delivered. ;)

berty bassett

Legendary Member

whorty , if i was you and determined to try a single speed round DD i would definitely buy one well before and try it on some of your local hills - clock how you feel and the elevation you do then times it by however much you have to ,to get to 12000ft to get the effort you would have to put in
if you do decide to do it i should think you would be in the minority on the day :wacko: but i for one would wish you all the luck in the world sir

Whorty

What one crank and one cog? Are you crazy? It will be a major struggle for the steeper climbs, even the first hill is no easy task.
Probably a 42/16 (about 70 gear inches) - course doesn't start in same place this year so those early climbs may not quite be so bad :whistle:

I like to challenge myself :ninja:

Whorty

Whorty you either won’t make it up the steepest hills or spin out completely on the flatter sections so that’ll be a choice you’ll have to make.

That means either walking up the steeper hills or taking 14+ hours to complete to course because you’ll go so slowly around the rest of the course.

If it’s something you want to do then that is a reality you should probably accept.
I'll spin out on descents, but then I don't pedal on descents anyway and I mostly use the breaks so that shouldn't lose too much time. The ups, well on my old SS I could get up Dulwich College hill, the hills up to Crystal Palace and the hill up the outside of Greenwich Park (Crooms Hill?). none as steep at the Elbow, but then I walked up that anyway last year with a geared bike so how much worse can it be :tongue: On the flatter sections, on a 42/16 gearing, I should be able to cruise nicely at 15-18 mph. I'm much fitter this year compared to last and I completed the 100 miles last year geared so I know I can do it again this year. Challenge therefore is do I try to go faster this year, or try a different challenge? Well, I want a SS so it kind of makes sense to get the bike for the DD and just see how it goes - if it falls apart badly there is a broom wagon that will be nice and warm :biggrin:

Top Bottom