Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Similar weight to me then .... give or take a few kg .... so very do able so long as I don't go too fast too soon and don't burn up on the hills. And who needs 2 working knees anyway :rofl:

I do! And having had to take a day off work to rest mine, ice packs on and off followed by stretching and ibuprofen gel to numb the pain I am saying look after yours! MRI tomorrow so should get closer to an outcome.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Similar weight to me then .... give or take a few kg .... so very do able so long as I don't go too fast too soon and don't burn up on the hills. And who needs 2 working knees anyway :rofl:

What gears did you ride?

42 x 16 I believe

Del C

Veteran
End of June for us. I hope to fit a weekend elsewhere too, perhaps D’huez or Ventoux x3. I reckon a few on here might bite especially say in September.
Alpe d'Huez is worth doing, although I'd say that's mainly through its iconic Tour status.

In its own right, its not the most attractive climb. There are some far more attractive routes that you can take either up to Alpe d'Huez, or that branch off the main climb which turn into balcony roads down the valley. They're all doable if you're there for 3 to 4 days.

There's also the Col de Sarenne which comes up to Alpe d'Huez from the far side and was in the Tour a couple of years back. It's an absolute brute of a climb.

I tried 3x Ventoux in 2016 and failed, because I got stomach cramps the night before. Managed the first ascent from Malaucene, which is tough with about 3 to 4kms of 11%, descended to Bedoin and completely died about 7kms on the second ascent. Went back to Bedoin and returned to Malaucene round the side of the mountain, which still gets up to about 480m. I was completely done in when I got back.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Alpe d'Huez is worth doing, although I'd say that's mainly through its iconic Tour status.

In its own right, its not the most attractive climb. There are some far more attractive routes that you can take either up to Alpe d'Huez, or that branch off the main climb which turn into balcony roads down the valley. They're all doable if you're there for 3 to 4 days.

There's also the Col de Sarenne which comes up to Alpe d'Huez from the far side and was in the Tour a couple of years back. It's an absolute brute of a climb.

I tried 3x Ventoux in 2016 and failed, because I got stomach cramps the night before. Managed the first ascent from Malaucene, which is tough with about 3 to 4kms of 11%, descended to Bedoin and completely died about 7kms on the second ascent. Went back to Bedoin and returned to Malaucene round the side of the mountain, which still gets up to about 480m. I was completely done in when I got back.

You got further than me . Up from Bedoin first hit cloud, cold and wind at Chalet reynard. Stopped to add clothing and then pushed on. Could not see the top of the tower when standing underneath it! Had to wait in the cold for over 20min for colleague to join me and then he wanted to wait for the others. So over 40min in cold cloud/mist and shorts. Descended to Malaucence and my back went. So fecked off. We found a cafe but they were overcrowded because people were waiting for the weather to clear before taking on Ventoux. We waited over an hour for the other 5 to join us and by that point I had lost all emery and motivation. Itching to go back. Did the ride from Sault a few days later in 30 plus and easy by comparison to ride from Bedoin. Mind you, when you pass chalet reynard and set your eyes on the tower and the road ramps up you just know it’s going to be a question of mind over body.

Norry1

Legendary Member

I've stayed in Bourg D'Oisans at the base of Alpe d'Huez and climbed it a few times. It is a must do - but I'd agree with Del that much of that is because of its iconic status. I recommend descending the Sarenne, it is insane (but be careful). If you are in that neck of the woods, the Col de Glandon and Croix de Fer are awesome. The balcony road is stunning - and there are lots more, some not known by many people.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Don't forget the Lacets either .. I'd say that was a 'better' climb than Alpe D'Huez, just not as long

Del C

Veteran
You got further than me . Up from Bedoin first hit cloud, cold and wind at Chalet reynard. Stopped to add clothing and then pushed on. Could not see the top of the tower when standing underneath it! Had to wait in the cold for over 20min for colleague to join me and then he wanted to wait for the others. So over 40min in cold cloud/mist and shorts. Descended to Malaucence and my back went. So fecked off. We found a cafe but they were overcrowded because people were waiting for the weather to clear before taking on Ventoux. We waited over an hour for the other 5 to join us and by that point I had lost all emery and motivation. Itching to go back. Did the ride from Sault a few days later in 30 plus and easy by comparison to ride from Bedoin. Mind you, when you pass chalet reynard and set your eyes on the tower and the road ramps up you just know it’s going to be a question of mind over body.
Oh boy!

That was worse than my experience!

Del C

Veteran
I've stayed in Bourg D'Oisans at the base of Alpe d'Huez and climbed it a few times. It is a must do - but I'd agree with Del that much of that is because of its iconic status. I recommend descending the Sarenne, it is insane (but be careful). If you are in that neck of the woods, the Col de Glandon and Croix de Fer are awesome. The balcony road is stunning - and there are lots more, some not known by many people.
I couldn't believe the Tour came down the Sarenne.

I remember the pros weren't at all happy about it. When I got near the summit, where it ramps up and twists and the surface is sketchy I thought it must be crazy going down this!

Del C

Veteran
I'm taking in most of those climbs when I attempt the Marmotte route. I've been told the glandon is particularly beautiful
Ride up to the Glandon/Croix de Fer is stunning.

I haven't been down the Glandon as we went down the Croix de Fer instead, but I think they normally 'neutralise" or put some restrictions on the Glandon descent on the Marmotte as its quite technical?

Top Bottom