Turbo trainer ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Hi. I'm looking buy a smart trainer but do not want to break the bank.

Can anyone recommend a smart turbo trainer?

Thanks

newts

Veteran
You'd probably get a secondhand Tacx Flow T2240 via ebay for £100-150.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Go on break the bank, I have a NEO2 and it has been flawless the last few years and my health is priceless. Although I did have an Elite wheel on trainer but I would try and go direct drive if you can. Elite Direto X has good reviews.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tacx T2240 - had mine 5 1/2 years and has been fault free. Works well enough for me and I don't need anything fancy as I still go in the real world most of the time. It's just a backup now.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have a Tacx Flow that was recently pressed into service when I had issues with my Neo but I was pleased to move back to direct drive asap. I always found the wheel on trainers a pain and unreliable in terms of accuracy. If you can afford a direct drive even second hand I would urge you to think about it but a wheel on trainer will at least provide some basic functionality to begin with and see if it's for you. Good quality direct drive trainer is a game changer though, and definitely money well spent, if you determine you will be using it quite a bit, anyway.

si_c

Guru
I can recommend the Tacx Flow - I had one for a year or so before I outgrew it and upgraded. I think if I'd had a non-smart trainer to start I wouldn't have persevered with it.

From what I can see now, the best bet would be to spend a bit more on a new one (~£200) or look second hand. There looks to be a Tacx Flow on ebay for about £150 right now. Which is not unreasonable. A new one is about £250 from Tredz, the alternative new would be the Elite Novo at halfords for about £200. Not used it though so can't comment on how good it is or not.

For a wheel on trainer also budget for a trainer specific tyre (about £40) as they do make a difference.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a wheel on elite smart trainer i was given by a chap in the club as he bought an all singing all dancing direct mount one and i fixed his bike the day before a sportive.
Unfortunately i have nowhere to use it as the only space i have has no power without running a 15 metre extension lead .I am considering selling it and maybe getting a set of rollers i can set up , preferably one with a fork clamp

Top Bottom