Turbo Trainer newb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Dad has kindly leant me his TT.

I'd used it once or twice before, but have seen things like turbo tyres and other bits of kit.

Can any seasoned users point out what's worth having or not.

Thanks

Danny B

Defiantly a fan or your over heat, Turbo tyre does help to stop ware on your road tyre but its a pain changing tyres every time you want to go on it, I invested in a spare wheel. Drape a towel over your top tube to stop sweat marking your frame.
The only other suggestion I would make is something to watch or listen to whilst training.
I am assuming you have water bottles, shoes and shorts.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Defiantly a fan or your over heat, Turbo tyre does help to stop ware on your road tyre but its a pain changing tyres every time you want to go on it, I invested in a spare wheel. Drape a towel over your top tube to stop sweat marking your frame.
The only other suggestion I would make is something to watch or listen to whilst training.
I am assuming you have water bottles, shoes and shorts.

Spare wheel including rear cassette I take it?...if so, would it impact chain ware? I won't be doing tons of miles but will need it in case it rains all weekend.

Got the usual gear otherwise.

Hip Priest

Veteran
If you're going to use it a lot, then having a spare wheel with a turbo tyre and cassette is well worth it. I got everything 2nd hand so it cost next to nothing. I agree with the poster above about the towel, but in my opinion it's better to put it over your bars to protect the headset and stem bolts from rust. Or do both!

I personally don't bother with a fan.

Stevec047

Über Member
I don't bother with a spare tyre wheel and cassette as the tyres I purchase are pretty cheap as it is.

Second some sort of towel over the headset and top tube as you will sweat alot. GCN YouTube channel has a number of turbo training videos ranging from short intensive runs to full blown workouts.

I tend to use mine as a top up during the week when I don't have the time to get out for a good 10miler+ tend to do 10-20 mins interval training and I must say even though the distances aren't great I find I am working alot harder and tend to feel the benefits when I get back out on the road.

Danny B

Good point about placement of towel, I would agree over bars as well. I purchased a cheap spare wheel then second hand cassette but was worth the investment as it makes it so much easier to swoop. I did start off using the cheap stock tyres the bike came with on the turbo but when these wore out and I ungraded to a better set of tyres I didn't want to wear them up so quick.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I either workout to this video with the laptop plugged into some loud speakers

Or I just workout to some motivational music.

I think the most important reason not to use your normal road tyre on the TT is so that you don't have grit in the tyre wearing out the TT roller.

I don't bother with a spare wheel though because I'm not continually switching between road and TT. For me, winter = TT, summer = road.

I do however have a fan, mat and a riser for the front wheel.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I either workout to this video with the laptop plugged into some loud speakers

Or I just workout to some motivational music.

I think the most important reason not to use your normal road tyre on the TT is so that you don't have grit in the tyre wearing out the TT roller.

I don't bother with a spare wheel though because I'm not continually switching between road and TT. For me, winter = TT, summer = road.

I do however have a fan, mat and a riser for the front wheel.

Thanks. Been trying a couple of the GCN vids this week. Decent enough to get me turning the pedals a couple of times in the week.

screenman

Legendary Member
Turbo is fitted with a bike all the time, I like as few as reasons as possible not to use it.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
So...anyone know what sort of price to expect to pay for a spare rear wheel incl cassette and training tyre? Or where to look for second hand ones?

Top Bottom